Sign in to follow this  
eon

chunky bacon mushroom gravy recipe

first time making gravy and it was a hit.  Got alot of "best gravy i ever had" comments at our christmas get together.  Even my wife who is not a big fan of either turkey or gravy loved this.  I whipped this together borrowing ideas from several recipes I found.  I think this is a very forgiving recipe open for modifications.

Turkey Stock - (This can be made in advance.... I think using homemade prepared turkey stock was one of the biggest keys to this recipe)

1 turkey neck and chopped gizzards

1 onion quartered

2 carrots chopped in 1 inch pieces

1 clove chopped garlic

2 bay leaves

olive oil

seasoned salt

black pepper

celery flakes (I would have used a celery stalk if i had one)

Saute turkey parts, carrots, and onion in the olive oil for about 5 minutes, transfer to stock pot and add rest of ingredients.  Pour in 5 cups of water and simmer for around 4 hours or until a nice rich stock is created.  Add more water as needed as while cooking.  When done strain out stock juices from the rest of the stuff.  If you like you can pull out the turkey meat from the neck and add to stock, i think it added a nice touch.  This made about 2.5 cups of a rich and pretty thick stock for me.  Im sure you can stretch in more water to double the amount and still have a full flavored stock. 

olive oil

all purpose flour
4 slices of bacon, chopped

1 onion finely minced

1 clove garlic finely minced

2 cups turkey stock from above

1 large portebella mushroom chopped into chunks

1/4 cup of dry white drinking wine (I used a ~$12 chardonnay)

1 TBS butter

give the bacon a 2 minute headstart in a large pan with 1 TBS of olive oil.  Add in onion, garlic, and mushrooms.  Cook until onions are browned.  Slowly shake in about 2.5TBS of flour while stiring.  Deglaze the pot with the wine and allow to thicken again.  Stir in turkey stock and let simmer for about 10 minutes while stirring frequently.  Add seasoning to taste (I used cracked black pepper and seasoned salt).  Add in butter but if you are going to reheat and serve later, add in the butter at that time.

Very Nice eon. My stock and gravies are a little different each time but similar to your recipe. I basically open up the fridge and poke around for whatever ingredients may be available. You just can't beat gravy/stock with Celery, Onion and Carrots, We call that the "Holy Trinity" down South.