Add Monolith to grill list

Yeah, I have been big into mountain biking and most high end bicycle manufacturers are in tiawan/ China and some manufacture several brands for diffent companies all under one roof. Nothing wrong with that.

My belly dictates me being unable to mountain bike for toffee, but I do enjoy having a look, used to BMX as a teen!

I'd imagine that a company specializing in ceramics wouldn't necessarily have the facility to do all the metal work, so i's likely the hinges and bands, like the stands Mike mentioned, come form yet other vendors. As Mike also mentioned, this is precisely how electronics manufacturing is done.

Thats the one dude. I love how manufacturing works. I worked for the biggest manufacturer of combi steamers and multifunctional bratt pans in the world (Rational and Frima) Their factories are amazing, everything is tip top but many components are outsourced, its not viable to manufacturer 100% of your finished product under one roof. It would be insane, like a furniture manufacturing company also growing and felling the trees all on one site. No sense and not economically viable.

Think about this, charcoal is from wood and no Kamado company makes their own from their own trees, just sources a product and bags and tags it.

BTW, is the steel firebox divider welded to the charcoal grate or does it just drop in when needed? I do wish KJ offered a steel divider instead of the ceramic one for simplicity/safety in storage and so it wouldn't have to slot into notches on the firebox to support itself.

quote; As Monolith grew in Europe and KJ grew in the the US and Canada, Monolith decided there was no room for a third party and had Sapphire fired out of the factory leaving just Monolith and KJ at the party. quote

Can you explain that? How does that work? How does one company decide who stays and who goes. 

I guess I was under the impression that KJ or anyone for that matter. Says hey, I got a better design for a Kamado. So they get the design drawn up and head to China and find a manufacture. But from what you are saying that is not the case. Its not their design. They are using a design that was already in existence and just putting their name on it. 

Do I understand that correctly?

Dave

How does one company decide who stays and who goes.

Volume/dollars. Let's say company A is producing 100 thousand widgets at a factory and spending $1 each. And company B is producing 10 thousand at $2 each. Company A says to their partner, "if you get rid of company B we'll expand our operations to 120 thousand units" or "please get rid of company B or we'll have to find a new partner". Poof! This is the most ultra-simplistic example, reality is a bit more complicated, but you should get the idea.

But from what you are saying that is not the case. Its not their design. They are using a design that was already in existence and just putting their name on it.

ODM companies can offer those types of services, but no one suggested that KJ or Monolith are employing that strategy. I think it's clear that no one else's ceramics are exactly the same. There are literally unlimited possibilities for how the finished product you see came to be.

It's clear however that some parts, be they ceramic or stainless steel, produced at whatever factories, are the same or very similar from one brand to another. The firebox "design" doesn't for example differ from that of BGE's which is produced in Mexico and has been for a few decades. Or even Imperial Kamado going back farther than that.

Mike, I'm glad you're here. Once this is hashed out your input as a normal member showcasing backyard cooks will be fun. I always enjoy posts on any forum from members half a world away across big water. We somehow get this impression that people on other continents are somehow "different" but then we network and find we're all the same. I love it. Don't lose interest and leave, stick around. There's a free BBQ here every day for those who show up.

Even though you're an industry expert, you weren't truly a kamado guru until late last night.

Mike, I'm glad you're here. Once this is hashed out your input as a normal member showcasing backyard cooks will be fun. I always enjoy posts on any forum from members half a world away across big water. We somehow get this impression that people on other continents are somehow "different" but then we network and find we're all the same. I love it. Don't lose interest and leave, stick around. There's a free BBQ here every day for those who show up.

Even though you're an industry expert, you weren't truly a kamado guru until late last night.

What a lovely thing to say. Thank you. As I said. My background is fine dining cookery and then equipment sales. Kamado's are new to me and I feel very lucky to have found such a good bunch to help me with getting to grips with a new way of cooking. A wise man once told me that only the dead have nothing more to learn so all methods and recipes shared is always a positive thing. I have no secret ingredients in my recipe. Food shouldn't be a secret. Forums like this keep everyone sharing. I like that a lot.

Cheers Mmmmm