Vision Lava Stone Diffuser - Dead Already?

bjunge

Just as a suggestion, not putting any product down, Broil King has a 15" diameter baking stone 3/4" thick. I bought one last year. It's awesome for indirect. I use it in my Keg. Apparently good to about 900F. My cousin bought a Vision and cracked his lava stone in the first week. I'm sure this would make a good replacement and it's not porous. $24.99 up here so not that expensive either. I use the same stone as a diffuser in my WSM in place of the water pan. It's worth a look.

That's very good to know. My only concern would be that this is 1" wider than the vision stone. It would fit, but I'm not sure what the minimum recommended gap would be. It may still be fine, I see from the pictures that the gap around the stone on KJ is smaller than on vision so perhaps you wouldn't have any issues.

I use a 15" diameter stone as a diffuser on my vision (the KJ old-style rack and diffuser) and it works very well. It leaves about a 1" gap between the firebox and diffuser, plenty of space for air, but covers more space for indirect cooking.

Interesting. I'd need to measure mine but I would say my gap is about 1" with the vision stone. This is why I was concerned about 15", thinking 1/2" gap might be too tight.

I've never measured it, it could be less than an inch, but it seems I can stick my index finger into it all the way around with no problem. I have never had a fire go out with this set up. In fact, I still over shoot my temp on occasion, and have to reel it back in.

I know the Keg accessories are interchangeable with the Egg, maybe not the Vision?  I would not use it for HH cooks for sure if the clearance was less than 1 inch.  For LNS it would probably be ok but maybe it's not worth the risk?  

There is another accessory you might consider along the lines mentioned earlier and that is the Broil King diffuser kit.  It has a heavier duty wire rack which I think would sit on your fire ring and a fairly heavy duty porcelain pan about 2" or more in depth 14" in diameter.  The kit is around $40.00.  I have used sand in it, sometimes just alone with foil and often foiled with an air space to catch drippings.  The other advantage to this kit is you turn the rack upside down, shed the pan and put your pizza stone on it and you have a great pizza set-up.

I have mixed and matched accessories from other brands and it's amazing sometimes how well this works.

• 5 months later...

So, I have been on a quest for setting up two zone cooking on my M series and I have found a ceramic company that sell various sizes of ceramic shelves (the same equivalent to grill stones).  These stones max temps are over 2300oF. I talked with the owner and he let me know that many ceramic grill companies buy these same items from him to do the same thing, so it can be used as a heat diffuser without any problems.  This also can replace a cracked pizza stone as well.  Hope this helps anyone needing a better heat diffuser.

http://www.dogwoodceramics.com/product/paragon-kiln-shelves.htm

So, I have been on a quest for setting up two zone cooking on my M series and I have found a ceramic company that sell various sizes of ceramic shelves (the same equivalent to grill stones).  These stones max temps are over 2300oF. I talked with the owner and he let me know that many ceramic grill companies buy these same items from him to do the same thing, so it can be used as a heat diffuser without any problems.  This also can replace a cracked pizza stone as well.  Hope this helps anyone needing a better heat diffuser.

http://www.dogwoodceramics.com/product/paragon-kiln-shelves.htm

Thanks for the info, if you buy something and try it, please let us know! I am also interesten in setting a two zone cooking!

Z

I have been using the 12" stone as a heat deflector in my M Series for the past five months. It developed a hairline crack within about 3 months, and finally broke through completely last weekend. It's still in two large pieces, so at least it's usable.

I just purchased the Vision Grills XL model, and I'm going to be using a few fire bricks as a heat shield with it. They're super cheap and designed for 2,000 degrees.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By tbauer320
      It is with great sadness that I report the death of my Akorn.  I was just getting to know it.  I have two shallow steps to let the grill down to the main patio area used for cooking.  I tilted the Akorn back to let it down gently but failed to look to see if the lid was locked.  It was not.  First step caused the Akorn to dump on its front and the world went dark for the Akorn.  The stone fell out and broke, the front of the barrel hit the step and dented. The round tub is now oblong.  The cast iron grates didn't break. 

Anyone living in the Jacksonville, Florida area is welcome to the remaining parts.  Otherwise it is going out in the trash on Tuesday morning, December 6, 2020.

I'll have to rely on my trusty Weber kettle for all future cooks.

Thanks to all that commented and advised me through the initial restoration of the grill. 

Until and if I get another Kamado style grill/smoker, it is adios for me.  Thanks again.

Tom Bauer

• By Colin Barbeau
      Good day guys,
      This is my first post, I was waiting to have something new to post before officially joining. Been looking at the forum for the last year: great stuff! I was very frustrated with the plastic shelves that came with the KJ (can melt) and I am not a fan of building a cart for my kamado: it takes place on the deck, it blocks the view and gathers snow (IMO). I like shelves, they fold back when you're done and you don't see them anymore.   I wanted shelves that are easy to clean, that are foldable, that support heat and that are wider than the standard ones, so I could fit a rib rack or a fully loaded divide and conquer without balance issues. I tried to keep the cost as low as possible while maintaining a design that was sturdy and would last a lifetime. 80 bucks later (Canadian bucks!), I had two aluminum shelves, 50% wider than the original ones and they are also lighter. You can't imagine the joy I got the first time I placed a hot ceramic heat diffuser on the shelves. Wow, this is a cheap luxury and I dig it!   Anyhow, if you guys want to build them, it is relatively easy: - Two 15.5 x 15.5 x 1/8 thk aluminum plates - Four 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/16 thk square aluminum tubes, 15 1/4 long (slightly shorter than the plates, just to be sure they don't protrude) - 16 rivets, 3/16 diameters   The tubes are mounted on the original KJ black steel brackets (remove the plastic bars), drill the tubes through the existing screw holes on the brackets and rivet in place. Position the plate, drill and rivet in the tubes.    Hope this will help someone, we deserve better than meltable shelves Cheers and all the best during these challenging times.   -Colin

• By JohnnyAppetizer
      I really got started with assembly about three weeks ago. 

• By Marc D
      Hi there . Im new to this forum  I’ve been smoking with an akorn but recently picked up a Kamado made in the 1970s . It needs some love . Mainly a cleaning , seals , some oil on the hinges .
      the  biggest problem was the top screw vent was rusted in place . I tried penetrating fluid, wire brush, heat, nothing worked. To get to the point I cracked in half the to vent . I’m going to use stainless parts for the screw and bolt but I need a good cement adhesive to but the vent back together with . 
    • By NVRider
      I have a smokin stone for my AKORN Kamado, but wanted one for my AKORN Jr.. I found that not only are they scarce, but pricey too. From searches on the forums I did not really see a good solution, so I gave it a try myself to come up with one. Here is what I got:
      Wally World has Lodge 10.5 inch griddles for $14.88.

Once out to the shop I cut the handle off. Just eye balled the cut off point to fit on the shelf in the cooker.

Went to the grinding wheel to eliminate the rough surfaces and then drilled holes in the handle and handle lip to hold the bolt, nut and lock washer.

Fit nicely in the cooker and was very stable.

You can remove the deflector with BBQ gloves or use the grill handle which fits nicely in the slot of the griddle handle.

Fired up the grill and seem to work just fine with some salmon fillets I did.