I snapped.

bferne

So about 40 minutes ago the phone rings and it's an 800-numbr calling. I absolutely never, under any circumstances answer 800 calls, so I didn't pick it up.

I did a net search on the number however to find out it's my power company - specifically their accounts receivable/collections department. My blood starts to percolate immediately.

My power/water bill was due on Christmas Day (last Thursday). I paid it on Christmas Eve (last Wednesday) via online banking. Christmas Day (Thursday) and the following day, Boxing Day (Friday) are of course holidays for banks and power companies alike.

Today is the SECOND business day since the bill was due (and since I paid). And they have the gaul to make a phone call? I called them back and got sent to voice mail after about 20 rings. I spoke calmly, but I couldn't avoid using some colorful language.

If this had been some vendor or company I could stop doing business with, they'd probably lose me as a customer. But with monopolies like power, there isn't much I could to except complain and moan about it. At least unlike pissing into the wind, it made me feel better to give them a piece of my mind.

If they didn't leave you a messege, then how can be sure you know why they are calling. Maybe there was another reason...

I was pissed anyone from the accounts receivable/collections department was calling for any reason. ;) But there only one reason that department ever calls anyone. Ok, maybe two, but I'm not cheating on my wife so it can't be the second.

Besides, if they have enough manpower that they can call everyone in such a billing situation, then they are clearly overstaffed and need to trim the fat in their operations.

If you really want to see me lose it then you have to be around when some "company rep" comes knocking on the door - especially if I'm taking care of my 2yo son and have just put him down for a nap. And yes, I have a sign on the window next to the door that says "Please, no agents, soliciting or fliers" - you wouldn't believe how many times someone will say "but I'm not selling anything."

I'm this close (||) to hooking up remote controlled water jets on the porch. What? What was that? I can't hear you, it sounds like you're drowning and the water's too loud!

Nothing like a good rant into a recorder to lower your blood pressure! I'm in your boat bferne!

Anyone think customers are really valued by any major corporate entity? Can anyone tell me the name of a Fotune 1000 CEO who has ever done a significant stint in what passes for "Customer Service"?

There aren't any!

I do IT support for one of our utility company, specifically the billing system. From what I've learned about payment processing, I stay way ahead of my bills. For all my primary utilities, I carry a credit.

We give 5 days from due date before we start assessing late fees. Thanksgiving tends to cause our delinquency issues. 

I pretty much tell everyone if you are nearing your due date, call customer service and post payment directly with them. It cuts out all the financial transaction stops.

Everything else has at least a 1 day stop at each level it has to clear.

Not sure what your utility's policy is on late fees. This is one of those extenuating situations. On the other hand... well... 

dude, chill.  take a deep breath, and find out what is going on.  going off the deep end before you ever talk to a person or get a message is the absolute wrong way to get anything done.  

now hell have no fury like me when someone messes with my toddlers nap.... that is a different story.   this is a phone ringing... 

Oh... at one point I worked on our IVR system (ducks). One of the cool features was the integration with our mapping system. The field service people would draw on the GIS map to indicate an outage area. We built a widget to look up all the contact phone numbers in that area. One of the reps would create the notification message. Then the IVR would use the phone numbers, and call all the contact numbers in the area that an outage was scheduled for the area.

Customers actually appreciated being notified in advance that we were turning off water in an area. 

And yes, we can use it for auto notifying that we are turning service off for complete delinquency. But that requires being very delinquent in your billing before that happens.

Different rules, different utilities.

It's just the principle of the matter.

And PK, you make some good points, but, IMO, it's up to the utility to figure out with the banks how to handle the back end and keep up with technology. It's not my problem they can't work their payment systems quicker. And it's definitely not up to me to make special arrangements because their due date is on a holiday. I already submitted my payment the day before on a valid business day. I'm not paying a month ahead of time and I'm not running a credit balance.

dude, chill.  take a deep breath, and find out what is going on.  going off the deep end before you ever talk to a person or get a message is the absolute wrong way to get anything done.  

now hades have no fury like me when someone messes with my toddlers nap.... that is a different story.   this is a phone ringing... 

lol seriously.  

can only imagine the thread that will come if the paperboy asks for his $2 

So about 40 minutes ago the phone rings and it's an 800-numbr calling. I absolutely never, under any circumstances answer 800 calls, so I didn't pick it up.

I did a net search on the number however to find out it's my power company - specifically their accounts receivable/collections department. My blood starts to percolate immediately.

My power/water bill was due on Christmas Day (last Thursday). I paid it on Christmas Eve (last Wednesday) via online banking. Christmas Day (Thursday) and the following day, Boxing Day (Friday) are of course holidays for banks and power companies alike.

Today is the SECOND business day since the bill was due (and since I paid). And they have the gaul to make a phone call? I called them back and got sent to voice mail after about 20 rings. I spoke calmly, but I couldn't avoid using some colorful language.

If this had been some vendor or company I could stop doing business with, they'd probably lose me as a customer. But with monopolies like power, there isn't much I could to except complain and moan about it. At least unlike pissing into the wind, it made me feel better to give them a piece of my mind.

ok, just for clarification, did you log into the utility, or the Bank?

I know I can log into my bank and select a payment date, sometimes the first available deliver by date is four days away.  whenever I log into my credit cards, I can set the payment up with them for the same day.  there is a difference, I am just curious to which you are referring.  

Ben

PS.  for what it is worth my utilities pull the money out of my bank account automatically the day the bill is due.  I may not like giving them access to my account, but it is worth avoiding the other types of headaches...