TechGuy

Kalua Pork - Two Ways

I was invited over for New Years and the host suggested a Hawaiian theme for dinner. So, I said I would cook a Kalua pork butt.  Below are my initial efforts. This is my first overnight cook.

I started two days ago with a Costco pack about 14.5# with two boneless shoulders in the bag. I salted them with Himalayan Pink Salt (didn't have any Hawaiian pink salt) and set them in the fridge overnight to marinade and rest.

20141230_212920.jpg

Yesterday I stopped by the Koreanna market and bought (too much) fresh banana leaves ($3 for 3#)

20141230_212912.jpg

I then set the roast in and started wrapping

20141230_213139.jpg

I used butchers twine to bundle it.

20141230_213712.jpg

This was the interesting part, I saw on another site to wrap this bundle in plastic wrap to seal in the juices. Since I have seen plastic being used in the oven in Food TV, I thought I would try this. I know the goal with Kalua is to steam the pork and this is to replicate the in ground process (imu) of rocks/leaves/pork/leaves/burlap/dirt.

20141230_213936.jpg

When it was wrapped, it looked like this

20141230_214151.jpg

I them wrapped this is a couple layers of foil to make this

20141230_214407.jpg

As I had two roasts and an opportunity to prepare this dish two ways, I decided to dry cook the other butt. So I trussed it back together with some twine.

20141230_232825.jpg

So, I then fired up the Vision and let the fire settle in near 225F. After the fire was nearly stable, I decided to add the meat and finalize the fire before going to bed. It was a cool night with temps near 36F  and the wind picking up. For the fire, I use Lazzari manzanita and one 12 inch branch from a pepper tree I trimmed earlier this year.

20141230_233026.jpg

I set my Maverick to a meat alarm of 200F and fire alarm of 275F and went to bed at about 12:30, with my Maverick on the night stand.  At 2:00 am, the fire alarm went off and I closed the lower vent to about 8 small holes in my perforated vent and a 1 on my cast iron top vent. I adjusted the alarm to 300F and went back to bed. The naked (smaller) butt was 143F at this time. I woke up at 4:00 and glanced at the Maverick, fire 271F, meat 190F. I went back to sleep. same process when my wife's alarm went off, 261 and 195, back to sleep until 6:45.

When I got up, the fire was down to 251F and the meat was showing 199F. Sounds done but I wanted to probe it. So, I put on my slippers and coat, grabbed my Thermopop (probe), and went outside (33F air temp). 

This is what I found

20141231_071107.jpg

GBD, Golden Brown and Delicious roast where the probe slipped thru the butt like butter. I didn't probe the wrapped roast.  I will reveal it later.

As I need to work today and feel roasts are better after they sit for a bit, I foiled the little roast and placed them both into my Trader Joe's insulated bag.

20141231_071629.jpg

They are currently sitting at home, awaiting a good pull, good beverages and good company. 

I will come back with a review and more photos.

Short answer...the banana leaf wrapped butt was much more tender and juicy. You get a very slight hint of the leaf flavor or smell when pulling. The dry rub butt that was unwrapped was dryer and has smoke flavor. Photos tomorrow after the party.

So just the pink salt for seasoning and the banana leaves on the kalua pork?  Nothing else after it was pulled?  Sounds like pure pork goodness.  I wonder how it would come out if you wrapped pineapple like that and cooked it low and slow (I imagine not so long though).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By LJS
      Hi Kamado People,
      I have been smoking for about 2 years now and I have never tried a pork roast style cook and beside whenever I have done pork roasts I have not got the crackling right and this is critical.
      So I decided to research a little and found heaps of methods out there, anyway I was stuck on three types 1. Continuous apply of vinegar, 2. Apply lots of salt to fat/skin, boiling water. All of these have the requirement of putting the pork into the kamado at a very hot temperature for around 30-40 mintues before dropping temperature to normal roasting temp of around 180/200°C.
      All of the above are required to have a dry roast, not fresh out of the plastic pack , best left overnight. At the last minute I decided to go with boiling water pouring over the fat and then right away into the hot kamado mine was at about 250/270°C range with one chunk of cheery, had no apple in the shed.
      Any how after 30min I closed the vents and the temp started to drop. Once at 180°C I left her there until internal reached 75°C and wow wow what a beauty. Moist and perfect crackling. Salt was needed to be added though.  

• By philpom
      they've been on for a bit, cruising at 215°f.  Going to finish each one differently but still debating the details.

• By HokieOC
      This weekend I'm attempting my first dual-cook, a pork shoulder/butt and a brisket flat.  I have a KJ Classic and an Akorn Jr, so I could do the pork on the Junior and brisket on the classic and not worry about it.  But for the sake of only using one grill for two things that cook generally the same in terms of temp (also admittedly, I just kinda want to try it), I'm planning to use the extender rack on the KJ, put the butt on that then add the flat under it a few hours later as I'm anticipating less time for the flat than the butt (Never done just a flat, only packers, but I think the flats take less time?).  

Has anyone ever done this?  My only concern is the butt dripping fat all over the brisket, not sure if that will change the flavor or get it all greasy and it's a big no-no?  Or will it not mess with the flat at all and if anything make it better from dripping fat all over it and keeping it from drying out?

Thanks!
    • By LJS
      Hello Kamado Peeps,
      Has ana awesome weekend.
      My friend did a low and slow leg of lamb on the Webber kettle and left it in sauce with the aim of enhancing the gravy. It sure did and pulled apart beautifully on the rolls, he also did not use any wood just natural spices.    
      So I had to do a cook myself. Went to this new meat shop (meat emporium Sydney) and the selection and quality is really good. I walked out over budget and decided to do some pork ribs a monster pcs.
      Spice: Pepper, salt, garlic, mustard, onion, paprika, sugar and cayenne pepper  
      Wood: Cheery and 1pcs pecan
      3 2 1 method – full proof as always, some 5-6 hours later yummy
      Keep smoking ….

• By DerHusker
      On New Year’s Eve we had our friends over for dinner.  They were getting up early to go to the Rose Parade so the evening ended early but we still had a great time.

I made 2 pizzas. The first was a Hawaiian Pizza with red onion, black olives, Canadian bacon and pineapple.

The second was a Meat Lover’s Pizza with red onion, black olives, peperoni and Italian sausage.

Both were delicious but I have to say the Meat Lovers was my favorite.

Thanks for looking.