Pork chop temp and time.

I'm planning on some pork chops this weekend at some point, and I am searching for the proper way to grill them on the kamado. I've found about 500 different temperatures and times, indirect and direct. Can someone please point me in the direction of a good baseline for cooking bone in and also boneless if your process changes for them, as far as temp and time goes?

If they are thick I would go indirect and sear at the end.  So for me I would cook at 350 indirect and sear them around 150 degrees.  I would pull them at 165 just like poultry.

if they are thin, I would go direct around 350-400 and still cook them to 165. 

So that would be how I would do it

I picked up this technique from Cooks magazine years ago. I use it with thick cut bone in chops, but think it would work with boneless as well. I smoke the skewered chops vertical (bone down) for about 15 min, and then finish sear them on a hot grill. I generally make a CI pan of apples and onions with Montreal roasted garlic and onion blend and some shredded fresh sage,  as a topping for the chops. (put some olive oil and a chicken broth in the pan when you do the apples and onions) I pull mine between 130 and 135. A little rosey color is fine. No real need to take pork to 160 - 165 any longer 135 - 140 is just fine and  the new  USDA pork safe temp. The pics are on my gasser from a fire restriction cook, but I use the same exact technique on my large egg. I start the apples and onions about 15 minutes before the chops to insure they are done in time. The chops with both the 15 minute smoke and the sear take about 20 minutes. I smoke indirect and sear at about 375 - 400

post-3401-0-21111200-1420313498_thumb.jp

post-3401-0-57002000-1420313516_thumb.jp

post-3401-0-32989600-1420313529_thumb.jp

post-3401-0-22928500-1420313539_thumb.jp

Yeah Bosco, as long as you pull at 130 and eat between 135 and 140 your plenty good. 160-165 was the standard when our moms and grand moms cooked pork. USDA says pork is no where near the health risk it was once considered. Also todays pork is much leaner than the pork of yesteryears, and drys out very easily. Some kitchen recipes call of poaching pork chops in milk to increase the moisture. (I tried that and it came out really good, seared it quick first and then milk and chicken broth with spices  half way up the side of the chop at medium heat until it was at temp. If you are used to chops at 160, 135-140 is going to surprize you with the increase in moisture and  in flavor. 

Yeah Bosco, as long as you pull at 130 and eat between 135 and 140 your plenty good. 160-165 was the standard when our moms and grand moms cooked pork. USDA says pork is no where near the health risk it was once considered. Also todays pork is much leaner than the pork of yesteryears, and drys out very easily. Some kitchen recipes call of poaching pork chops in milk to increase the moisture. (I tried that and it came out really good, seared it quick first and then milk and chicken broth with spices half way up the side of the chop at medium heat until it was at temp. If you are used to chops at 160, 135-140 is going to surprize you with the increase in moisture and in flavor.

Totally agree. If you have been eating 160+ pork chops then one at 140 is going to blow your mind.