Pork chop temp and time.

For awareness, the USDA says pork is fine pulled at an internal temp of 145 with a 3 min. rest before eating.  I therefore feel fine pulling at ~140 with a 15 min rest.  See tag below.  I personally think 130 is too low for pork but I'm old fashioned.

I do like the hotter direct temp because I like that bit of char you get, tasty!  Certainly the day of leather chops is over, you should only need a butter knife.

I'm planning on some pork chops this weekend at some point, and I am searching for the proper way to grill them on the kamado. I've found about 500 different temperatures and times, indirect and direct. Can someone please point me in the direction of a good baseline for cooking bone in and also boneless if your process changes for them, as far as temp and time goes?

I'm planning on some pork chops this weekend at some point, and I am searching for the proper way to grill them on the kamado. I've found about 500 different temperatures and times, indirect and direct. Can someone please point me in the direction of a good baseline for cooking bone in and also boneless if your process changes for them, as far as temp and time goes?

Forget time or cooking temp. Cook to internal temp of 140-150 and rest to 160ish. All good

• 7 years later...
2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Beef could be left rare to medium but pork and chicken must be fully cooked. There is no such a thing as rare pork stake. Just saying. 

I cook MY pork chops / Pork Loin / Pork tenderloin to 135ish and let it finish to around 140.  I pull my chicken when the breast meat is around 150.  When I sous vide chicken I do the breasts at 140 for about 3 hours.  

Absolutely love thick cut bone in pork chops at our house. I actually cook them by time and rarely measure temps with my thermapen. I smoke them over pecan or apple at 400 dgs, standing up bone end down in a taco rack for 15 min. Then I finish them at probably 450 flat on the grill for 2 1/2 minutes a side over direct flame. Adds up to 20 min on the grate. They come out moist and silky white with just a touch of rose. Truly delicious. Ps. I use a liberal coating of McKormicks Roasted Herb and Garlic, best rub I have found for pork chops, including my own concoctions.  here's a pic, I did these on the gasser. I am guessing the internal temp when I plate them is at 135 to 140.  Happy cooking

IMG_0199.thumb.jpeg.aa4f7cef25f02926ed34ef8bce99e9d5.jpegIMG_0200.thumb.jpeg.325102e53aec8c113f36c3c7671b3a25.jpeg

@keeperovdeflame, please provide your home address so that I can come over for dinner!  Those look absolutely delicious!

For all of my cooking, I use an external-reading (wireless ...) grill-and-food thermometer that I bought at Home Depot for about $35. My standard practice has been to remove meats from the grill at 10ºF below my target temperature, then to wrap them tightly in foil while the thermometer remains in place.  Over the next 15 minutes or so, the meat will consistently "coast" up to the target, while also "resting." This keeps my "medium rare" from turning itself into "medium."

• 2 weeks later...