Pulled Pork on the Menu today!

Looks and sounds amazing!!  Can I ask a dumb question...?  When you've vacuum packed it up into small portions, what do you do with them?  If any are for the next night, do you  just refrigerate until that meal?  And the remainder I know go in the freezer.  But how do you treat the frozen packs when you pull them out for meals later on?  Thaw slowly in a bath of cold water, or?   And to heat up for the meal - in a pot on the stove, in the dreaded microwave, or?

Sorry again, for the dumb-### questions...I just LOVE what I see you doing there, and am starving for tips!

Thanks

Canadianeh,

There are no dumb questions.  I normally have one package in the fridge, the rest go into the freezer.  As the one in the fridge is used, one package gets pulled out of the freezer and it is moved to the fridge. 

For re-heat, I put them in a bath of 180 degree water.  At 180 degrees, the seals remain intact.  A really large package might sit in the 180 degree water for up to an hour.  The heated package is kneaded to distribute the juices, and then either served (for pulled pork sandwiches) or incorporated in a dish. 

Canadianeh,

There are no dumb questions.  I normally have one package in the fridge, the rest go into the freezer.  As the one in the fridge is used, one package gets pulled out of the freezer and it is moved to the fridge. 

For re-heat, I put them in a bath of 180 degree water.  At 180 degrees, the seals remain intact.  A really large package might sit in the 180 degree water for up to an hour.  The heated package is kneaded to distribute the juices, and then either served (for pulled pork sandwiches) or incorporated in a dish. 

Well thank you!  That certainly is a fantastic and helpful answer...makes a whole world of sense I never would have thought of.

• 3 weeks later...

Canadianeh,

Have to re-enter this discussion, this time for SuperBowl planning.  Being the expert in the packaging-then-reheating process, I'm going right to the pro.  I'm doing a 6lb butt for my little SuperBowl party on Sunday.  But I was thinking of doing the cook on Saturday (super-early Sat AM) so it's ready on Saturday night.  Then I thought I'd vacuum seal in packs as you've done here, and reheating during the first half of the game, for serving at halftime.  This, versus putting it on the BBQ at 3-4am Sunday, and hoping it's ready in time, stressing about it, and being dog-tired from being up so early on game day.  Would YOU do it Saturday and reheat as you have above, or would you do it 'fresh' on Sunday morning?   Tips?  Thanks Addertooth!

I would do it in advance for sure. You won't taste any difference. And it is far less stressful this way.

Bingo, thanks again man!   Got a lot of feedback on my question I posed in a new thread, that I should vac pack it in whole chunks, and pull it after reheating...seems like a very popular answer.  Have  you done it that way, or just pre-pulled before vac-packing??

I pre-pull before vac-packing.  This way the bag better conforms to the shape of the shredded meat and makes the meat more compact and storable in limited fridge/freezer space.  Hit the Vac-Seal button, and when the juices climb up to where the seal is, hit the seal button to avoid vacuuming out the juices.  I hang the bags off the edge of the counter, so it takes a lot of vacuum to pull the juices a few inches vertically.  By this method, they are simply heated and ready to serve too.  This allows you to do the shredding in advance, when it best fits your schedule, and you have less of a mess (from shredding) at party time.  The more work you do in advance, the more the Host can enjoy any party event he runs.  Make it look easy to your guests, you will come off like a pro. 

I pre-pull before vac-packing.  This way the bag better conforms to the shape of the shredded meat and makes the meat more compact and storable in limited fridge/freezer space.  Hit the Vac-Seal button, and when the juices climb up to where the seal is, hit the seal button to avoid vacuuming out the juices.  I hang the bags off the edge of the counter, so it takes a lot of vacuum to pull the juices a few inches vertically.  By this method, they are simply heated and ready to serve too.  This allows you to do the shredding in advance, when it best fits your schedule, and you have less of a mess (from shredding) at party time.  The more work you do in advance, the more the Host can enjoy any party event he runs.  Make it look easy to your guests, you will come off like a pro. 

You really ARE the man!  I like your thinking, all the way around.  Guys on my other thread all seem to point to vac packing full chunks.  One even suggested letting guests pull their own!?  Not liking that idea.  I know if I go to someone's house for dinner, I don't really want to work at it.  I had good great success pulling my last one before I vac packed it, so I don't think I'll mess with success...  Feeling much more confident about the whole process after all the great feedback - specially yours.  Thanks again.

The cross-cuts are for:

1. They allow seasonings to make contact with the meat muscle, the fat cap normally blocks transfer of flavor from the spices into the meat. The crevasses are packed with rub prior to smoking.

2. It helps encourage complete rendering of the fat cap, due to greater surface area.

3. It provides channels for the rendered fat to baste into the meat's open grain.

4. It adds a bit of visual appeal to the meat for presentation prior to the pulling. 

5. It breaks the continuous fat cap into smaller pieces, which aids in mixing the bark into the pulled pork.

Followed the guru's advice on our last butt and Addertooths advice was spot on!  Thats how we do butts in our house now :)

post-6823-0-51648700-1422622785_thumb.jp

.  I had good great success pulling my last one before I vac packed it, so I don't think I'll mess with success...  Feeling much more confident about the whole process after all the great feedback - specially yours.  Thanks again.

Helpful hint.  Shoot a small amount of Apple Juice into the pack before sealing.  When you reheat, the meat will be much more moist and have a little of the flavour added....