I have a leak somewhere in my classic b

Hatfieldms

I had similar issues with my Classic B. I replaced the gasket with Vision Nomex per recommendations made here. Didn't completely solve the issue but significantly improved it. I am sure with a little more tweaking I could have completely solved it but the fact is it didn't prevent me from creating really good food on it. With practice I was able to achieve consistent desired temps for all types of cooks. It probably didn't maximize lump usage but I didn't care. The Vision is a quality Kamado capable of great Q.

Vision's Nomex kit is $20 and worth every penny.  I charred the original felt with my first pizza cookout.  The Nomex has survived EVERYTHING i've thrown at it. Make sure you get the gasket replaced on the top vent too!!!

I had similar issues with my Classic B. I replaced the gasket with Vision Nomex per recommendations made here. Didn't completely solve the issue but significantly improved it. I am sure with a little more tweaking I could have completely solved it but the fact is it didn't prevent me from creating really good food on it. With practice I was able to achieve consistent desired temps for all types of cooks. It probably didn't maximize lump usage but I didn't care. The Vision is a quality Kamado capable of great Q.

Vision's Nomex kit is $20 and worth every penny.  I charred the original felt with my first pizza cookout.  The Nomex has survived EVERYTHING i've thrown at it. Make sure you get the gasket replaced on the top vent too!!!

We sell our Nomex for $27.99 which includes shipping within the Continental U.S. The kit comes with enough gasket for the vessel, dome, and the top vent. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using my Classic B since August and have loved it. Upgraded from an Akorn.

I feel like lately it has taken longer to snuff out the coals. How long does it typically take to put out the fire? It seems like if I do a 450-500 degree cook it is still at 200 degrees about 2.5 hours later. I don't recall it taking that long in the past.

Temperature control hasn't been a problem. Smoked a pork butt for 14 hours and it held 217-225 easy. I was pretty impressed. My Akron couldn't hold that low in my experience. However, when it was all said and done I had used a full load of charcoal. 10 hours on the Akorn barely used 1/5th of the charcoal. Is this usage standard in everyone's experience with the Vision Classic B?

450-500, 2.5 hours later about 200. Sounds about right. The more thermal mass that absorbs heat, the more it retains. Since the outershell is ceramic, it is going to retain heat as well. I'm going to guess that the Akorn's metal shell helps dissipate heat faster.

As for how much charcoal is normal consumption comparatively, I can't say.

usually if you can not keep your temp where you want it, say 225-250 and it just keeps on rising to over 300 then it is your TOP damper gasket is fried. Or maybe the lid gasket could have shrunk up if you stretched it when you applied it and you could get a gap where the ends meet.

Technically the bottom vent only matters when you are trying to put OUT the charcoal.

I keep the bottom vent wide open all the time, even for 225 degrees, you just regulate the temp with the top vent, for 225 it is just cracked about 1/2 way to the number 1, maybe little more.

With the bottom vent wide open that should stay right at 225-230 for at least 12 hours without touching it.

If you open the lid to check meat or add water to pan or add sauce or whatever then I close the bottom vent all the way while lid is open to prevent it getting too much air and getting too hot.

close lid then open bottom vent all the way again.

If I fill up the firebox to over the holes on the side, I can smoke at 225 for 10-12 hours and still have plenty of charcoal left over to grill burgers or chicken the next day

What about shipping your frozen neighbour, Canada.

The shipping is a flat $8.80 to Canadian customers for gasket sets. This includes our regular felt gasket and our Nomex gasket.

So, I would recommend you do like me and order more than one! Since you're already paying that for shipping, might as well get a 2nd or 3rd kit as well.