bosco

bosco's Fillipino Pancit bihon

We I have an aunt who married a Fillipino and have enjoyed several meals over the years. We employed a Fillipino Nanny for the boys for 5 years who lived with us while they were young.

So I have had my share of Pancit dishes. For those who may not have heard of it before it is basically the noodle dish made in the Philippines. I absolutely love it but have never made it before.

So I figured what the heck how hard can it be.

7CD796AC-20E2-4E8C-BAC2-01DD4DEEED72.jpg

I am boiling 4 chicken thighs right now and need to go back and get snow peas. I got the wrong ones in s hurry. I will document this cook for others to try. It is honestly a really great meal!!

I loved that on Guam. I would love to have the receipe, so please include all the details. If anyone has done Lumpia on a Kamado if you have that, I'd love that as well. I know that's normally deep fried so don't know how it would work smoked that's why I'm asking.

I spent two years on the west coast of Luzon back when the U.S. was winning hearts and minds a bit farther west. Wonderful time, great people. 

Can't wait.

Subic I take it, and not Clark. I agree they are great folks. We had alot of Phillipinos on Guam. Flew over their island many times but never landed. Our plane wasn't liked if ya know what I mean.

Alright here we go!!  So I will give the instructions as I go as it is a three part process.  

First off, add 2 tbsp of oil and sauté 1 medium julienned cut and 5 coarsely chopped cloves of garlic.  well that is sautéing, cut a carrot into thin strips and about 1 cup of cabbage.  Once the onions are sautéed, mix in the carrot and cabbage.  Cook on medium to low heat until the cabbage wilts.  Do not over cook the vegetables.  Just until they wilt.  

9CBE2A74-4AA8-4CE3-B138-E2C93DA52AAA.jpg

Once this is all cooked, about 10-15 min max.  Remember cook until they start to wilt.  Now pull them from the wok and place them to the side

BE744DAB-3B47-4D24-8C2B-EE8190823241.jpg

Ok now onto step 2

I used approximately 1lb. of raw 21-30 shrimp and peeled them prior to cooking.  Cook them but just until they go opaque.  Leave them a tad under cooked as the juices will help flavour the dish.  I add a pinch or two of pepper and kosher salt at this point.  Then mix in the pulled chicken.  i boiled 4 chicken thighs earlier and pulled it for this meal.  

Once the the meat is cooked, put it on a plate and put it to the side.

Alright now that is done, we move onto the next step.  Take some green onions and cut some half inch pieces (put aside for garnishing later).  Then cut up about 1/2-3/4 cup of smaller cut green onions.  Cut the ends off approx 1 cup of snow peas.

7357FD43-D547-464B-8E4C-291D514316E8.jpg

Now onto step 3 of the cook

Alright now take your wok and add 4 cups of chicken stock or broth.  I wanted to double the amount of noodles so I saved the chicken broth from my thighs that I cooked earlier and used 1 box of chicken broth.  So total 8 cups.  Next add 2 tbs of Soya Sauce and 1 tbps of fish sauce.  You can double this if you are doing the extra noodles.  I didn't double it as fish sauce is very strong.

Ok bring this to a boil and add 8oz. of Rice Sticks labeled bihon.  If you can find Pancit Bihon even better.  I used a full package at 16oz.  I will have to freeze some of this dish there is too much now lol!!!

5B9E8D43-F8B3-4DAC-8A88-B0D9A2E2CF39.jpg

Once at a boil add your noodles

AE6F004C-39BD-4BCD-90F3-7DB9F22B6825.jpg

bring the stove down to a simmer and let all of the juice get sucked up by the noodles.  It won't take long.

while it is simmering add the finely chopped green onions and the snow peas to the mix.  Leave the longer cut green onion pieces until the end.

69F56728-2741-4328-B3E8-F5BAB316E47D.jpg

Keep an eye on it now.  Bring it down to a low heat as the juices are almost gone.  Mix in you vegetable mix from step 1 and the meat mix from step 2.  

No I found salad tongs mixed everything the best.