Derald@Primo

Naked Whiz-Review of the Primo Oval XL 400 Grill & Accessories

Interesting they are already working on a permanent solution to the band issue. I figured the little straps were a temporary fix until they could get something going in the next production run.

Definitely a nice review.

I'd have to disagree with this comment: 

"As you can see in the photos below, the Primo hinge is one big sturdy assembly with the advantage that there is really no opportunity for the hinge to get out of adjustment"

While I have been a proud Primo owner for close to 9 years, I have first hand experience with the hinge getting out of adjustment.  The only fix for me, in spite of attempting the recommended adjustment procedures emailed to me by Primo, was purchasing a new hinge & band assembly.  Now it works great.  Of course, mine had experienced heavy usage but at the end of it's life, my lid would not sit properly on the base.  It was cocked to one side and prevented a tight seal.  All in all this is such a minor point of contention, as the hinge outlasted it's warranty period so I really have zero complaints.  I'm just pointing out that lid misalignment does happen on these grills.

The biggest place where Primo needs to catch-up is on accessories.  Both KJ and BGE have a massive accessory and versatility advantage over Primo.  

It would be nice to see Primo expand their accessory.  They really haven’t released any new accessories since 2011.  The Oval should switch to a Fiberglass gasket. 

4 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

The biggest place where Primo needs to catch-up is on accessories.  Both KJ and BGE have a massive accessory and versatility advantage over Primo.  

It would be nice to see Primo expand their accessory.  They really haven’t released any new accessories since 2011.  The Oval should switch to a Fiberglass gasket. 

They have a firebox divider. Dual diffuser grates. A dual diffuser setup. Dual main grates (that can be installed up or down). Dual expansion grates. All that should cover any divide and conquer situations you need. (and oval is far superior for divide and conquer) For the oval XL  kickashbasket sells an option. If you don't like the daisy wheel, Smokeware sells a covered SS top hat. Plenty of third party gasket replacements. I know some of those weren't Primo but the accessories are out there. I even saw a wedge rotisserie setup on the internet today. Plenty of CI accessories that would fit especially with the oval design. 

What can't you find? 

15 hours ago, ckreef said:

They have a firebox divider. Dual diffuser grates. A dual diffuser setup. Dual main grates (that can be installed up or down). Dual expansion grates. All that should cover any divide and conquer situations you need. (and oval is far superior for divide and conquer) For the oval XL  kickashbasket sells an option. If you don't like the daisy wheel, Smokeware sells a covered SS top hat. Plenty of third party gasket replacements. I know some of those weren't Primo but the accessories are out there. I even saw a wedge rotisserie setup on the internet today. Plenty of CI accessories that would fit especially with the oval design. 

What can't you find? 

You forgot to mention the primo cast iron griddle.  :)

1 hour ago, TKOBBQ said:

@ckreef where and what grill did it fit?  For sale?

It was a wedge rotisserie setup for the Oval XL. Just like a joetisserie but oval. I really didn't pay that much attention because I have my KK with rotisserie setup but I'll see it again and when I do I'll post a link. 

18 minutes ago, ckreef said:

It was a wedge rotisserie setup for the Oval XL. Just like a joetisserie but oval. I really didn't pay that much attention because I have my KK with rotisserie setup but I'll see it again and when I do I'll post a link. 

Thanks I'd be really interested if you can find it again.  I've looked multiple times and have always came up empty handed.