Naked Whiz-Review of the Primo Oval XL 400 Grill & Accessories

Derald@Primo

On 9/8/2018 at 8:12 PM, ckreef said:

They have a firebox divider. Dual diffuser grates. A dual diffuser setup. Dual main grates (that can be installed up or down). Dual expansion grates. All that should cover any divide and conquer situations you need. (and oval is far superior for divide and conquer) For the oval XL  kickashbasket sells an option. If you don't like the daisy wheel, Smokeware sells a covered SS top hat. Plenty of third party gasket replacements. I know some of those weren't Primo but the accessories are out there. I even saw a wedge rotisserie setup on the internet today. Plenty of CI accessories that would fit especially with the oval design. 

What can't you find? 

I always thought it was blizzare Primo has never done anything to add Rotisserie system to the unit.   The oval shape has an advantage in accommodating a wider variety of basket.   

A split firebox, the oval design should accomidate a spilt fire box without having to use a metal adapter like KJ. 

Better gaskets, a rain vent, stainless steel racks and stainless deflector holders to replace the porcelain coated steel.  

BGE recently stepped up their line-up.  Primo long overdue to shake things up a bit.

2 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I always thought it was blizzare Primo has never done anything to add Rotisserie system to the unit.   The oval shape has an advantage in accommodating a wider variety of basket.   

A split firebox, the oval design should accomidate a spilt fire box without having to use a metal adapter like KJ. 

Better gaskets, a rain vent, stainless steel racks and stainless deflector holders to replace the porcelain coated steel.  

BGE recently stepped up their line-up.  Primo long overdue to shake things up a bit.

CGS makes stainless accessories for the Primos.

• 3 years later...
On 9/10/2018 at 9:50 AM, Charcoal Addict said:

wow, reading this 3 years later. Looks like Primo read your post and made the updates you requested. the 2021 Primo XL has all of that (not sure if the gaskets are improved, but I have no leakage at all on my XL unless I fully close down all the vents, I saw a bit sneaking out the top vent where it rotates. (not a gasket issue). Even the extension rack is now stainless.

On 9/10/2018 at 9:50 AM, Charcoal Addict said:

I always thought it was blizzare Primo has never done anything to add Rotisserie system to the unit.  

They also finally released the rotisserie! last June.

Also, for what it's worth, Primo has a very active instagram account, which shows that they are still investing heavily in marketing, which hopefully means that they want to continue to grow the brand, even under the new ownership circa 2019.

Given that Primo is definitely a smaller brand than KJ or BGE, I did dumb research like this to make sure they were planning on sticking around. According to their website, they adjusted their ceramic warranty to match competitors to be limited lifetime. (but it sounds like they charge for shipping now, and they didn't before)