KenM

Auber PID Controller And The Akorn

274 posts in this topic

I posted this under another thread and thought as time passes the info would get lost. I will ask John to make this Sticky.

With this setup myself and others are maintaining temps within plus/minus 2 degrees for extended periods. I ran 48 hours during a test and stopped because I had food to cook.

The Auber model I have is SYL-1614SYS-W

(http://auberins.com/images/Manual/SYL-1614%20manual.pdf

Code 0036 is explained on page 2.)

I installed a piece of felt on the left end of the lower vent track for the Auber 6.5 CFM fan to be installed against.

I tested these settings at temps from 225 to 350 degrees.

The upper vent is set at .75

I make no claims at being an expert on PID controllers. Below I'm attempting a simple explanation based on my research while working with Auber support to get my controller acceptable.

Under code 0036:

P 0.8

I 600 (I should be 4 X D)

D 150

OT 008

Souf 0.8

Proportional P acts directly on the error between the preset and actual temperature

Integral response (time) I sums the error over past time

Derivative response (time) D calculates a value predicting future errors

I and D act together based on P to control the output, which operates the blower

Damp constant (SouF): The parameter is controlled by the artificial intelligence of the controller. This constant helps the PID control quality. When its valueis too high, the system will be over damped. When its value its too low, the system may overshoot. (copied from the manual)

Cycle rate (ot): It is the time period that the controller uses to calculate its output. The initial value is set to 15 seconds for charcoal smoker control. Short time causes the fan to pulse at higher frequency. Longer time may reduce the quality of control (copied from the manual)

Under code 0037:

Caly 1

bb 60

SF 12

Note: On newer models the 0037 settings may be locked at factory values.

Ken

Scott B, samtf4 and JohnnyCoR like this

Thanks. I have an Auber and it was sloppy at best. Will load the new parameters and see if I can be swayed. Since I have sealed the Akorn I have not needed much in the way of a PID controller.

KenM,

I loaded these settings before the start of the first burn & the Auber has been perfect. Thank you for the info.

My first cook with the Auber and I am seeing temp swings of + 17 and -15 degrees with the Auber set at 300. I came to this forum to look for a solution and here it is. Will this code get the Auber to perform that well or do I have other problems like air leaks? I have done an initial RTV sealing job around the bottom air intake and I put felt pads on both sides of the Auber but have not replaced gaskets or anything like that. As I write this temp is 275 and dropping.

Thanks

Bob

Try these settings, Bob. It takes about 5 minutes. I wouldn't worry about air leaks, I thought my Akorn was sealed until the Auber fan showed me I had leaks. But you should hold temp to within 3-5 degrees, probably less.

let us know how it works please.

Ken

Well that fire eventually went out. Fortunately the bird was done. I have the new parameters entered, now I've got to find something else to cook.

Bob

I too recently purchased an Auber for my acorn. I did a test burn with the stock parameters and the Auber seem to have a mind of its own. I tried to dial in a temp and I could not hold it. The temp seem to get higher and higher. Needless to say I was really dissatisfied with its initial performance. So I spent this past week re sealing my Acorn, and as I type this I I'm sitting here watching my Acorn locked in at 235 for at least the last hour. My remedy to the initial problem was to load these parameters. They really make a difference. I really excited to do my next Brisket.

The instructions for my Auber only list instructions for code '0001' and specifically say to leave everything else alone as it is set when you get it. What is code '0036' & '0037 for? Are there any other codes? What are the parameters associates with the codes?

In there anyplace I can find out more about these codes and parameters?

The instructions for my Auber only list instructions for code '0001' and specifically say to leave everything else alone as it is set when you get it. What is code '0036' & '0037 for? Are there any other codes? What are the parameters associates with the codes?

In there anyplace I can find out more about these codes and parameters?

Instructions for the codes should be on page 2 of the manual I added a link to the manual to my original post.

My manual says to change the settings if the factory settings aren't satisfactory. I added a brief/simple explanation of what the settings do to my original post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller is a good starting point for learning about PID's. Google PID Basics for all the reading you could want.

Scott B likes this

I purchased an Auber based on the recommendations from this site. Received it yesterday, made the adjustments Ken suggested and tried it out today. At first it was't holding well, but finally settled in and held the temp within 10 degree range for about 5 hours. Ribs turned out great. Thanks for posting the information!

I purchased an Auber based on the recommendations from this site. Received it yesterday, made the adjustments Ken suggested and tried it out today. At first it was't holding well, but finally settled in and held the temp within 10 degree range for about 5 hours. Ribs turned out great. Thanks for posting the information!

Glad it's working out for you J.

You should get better than 10 degrees tho. Some settings will vary cooker to cooker. Make sure the top vent is at 0.75, stick a piece of felt on the left end of the bottom vent slide for the Auber fan to rest against, without it there is an air leak there.

If that doesn't get you closer, raise the P setting in 0.1 steps, first to 0.9. This should narrow the error.

I know +/- 10 degrees is better than kitchen ovens can do, and the meat won't know the difference, but getting down to a 2-3 degree error makes me grin! :lol:

Thanks for the tips. I did think that part of my problem was the noticeable gap between the Auber fan & vent slide. My Auber fan does not fit completely in the track because of the curve of the vent on the cooker. That created a gap between the fan and the slider. Do I need to fix that? For the most part, I was very happy with the results, but I would like to get it within a +/- of 2-3 degrees. Also, I had smoke escaping where the temperature wires go under the lid. Do I need to worry about that?

J

Thanks for the tips. I did think that part of my problem was the noticeable gap between the Auber fan & vent slide. My Auber fan does not fit completely in the track because of the curve of the vent on the cooker. That created a gap between the fan and the slider. Do I need to fix that? For the most part, I was very happy with the results, but I would like to get it within a +/- of 2-3 degrees. Also, I had smoke escaping where the temperature wires go under the lid. Do I need to worry about that?

J

I use some strips of duct tape around the fan housing and the slider.

I had my lid very air tight, I thought! When the 6.5 CFM fan is going I have smoke at the same place. We will never get these cookers air tight, they aren't pressure cookers. :D

If that doesn't get you closer, raise the P setting in 0.1 steps, first to 0.9. This should narrow the error.

I know +/- 10 degrees is better than kitchen ovens can do, and the meat won't know the difference, but getting down to a 2-3 degree error makes me grin! :lol:

Are you sure that is the correct direction Ken. Seems like you would lower the P value.

Change_with_Kp.png

Copied from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

Are you sure that is the correct direction Ken. Seems like you would lower the P value.

Change_with_Kp.png

Yes, increasing P increases stability. I assumed J's +/- 5 degree swing was an oscillation. Page 2 in the manual.