Blue Cheese Crusted NY Srip

Last night I experimented with a blue cheese mix crust on a strip steak. The experiment was to see if I could re-create a broiler effect during the final sear process of a reverse sear. I wanted crusty cheese, but didn't want to over cook the steak by sticking it into an actual broiler oven.

The first indirect low & slow phase went as usual, but I added a 10" cast iron skillet and lid to the grill to preheat. The lid was not covering the skillet. It was placed directly on the grill side by side with the skillet.

The second phase was normal. I removed the steak, opened all of the vents wide open and allowed both the skillet and the lid to reach screaming hot temps. (my infrared thermometer read 800+ surface temp on the cast iron at one point) 

The first side of the steak seared in the skillet for 1 minute, Once I flipped the steak, I added the blue cheese mixture and covered the steak with the screaming hot cast iron lid for another minute. 

SUCCESS! Adding the super hot cast iron lid forced a broiler like heat down onto the cheese, melting it & making it almost crusty. At the same time finishing the sear. 

post-7216-0-61631200-1421509530_thumb.jppost-7216-0-12105400-1421509536_thumb.jppost-7216-0-84694400-1421509541_thumb.jppost-7216-0-35180700-1421509547_thumb.jppost-7216-0-17067600-1421509550_thumb.jppost-7216-0-07076300-1421509557_thumb.jp

Yes, Craig, I'd like me a bite or two of that cook. The dialogue here on KG is much clearer than what I gleaned from the FB writeup. Exceptionally well done and an awesome looking cook.

So, the last phase of the cook had you put the lid on the skillet, but the lid did not touch the steak or topping. It was just a cover?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By philpom
      While it's cooler outside it's the best time to smoke a bunch of cheese.

Did mine a week ago, tested it today.  My best batch ever and I think my new favorite wood for cheddar is hickory.

This is extra sharp cheddar.  I crusted it with black pepper before vacuum sealing it.  Going to be fantastic after it rests a few months.  Last year I did extra sharp cheddar with pecan and crusted in chipotle.   Still have one of those sealed floating around.
    • By LJS
      Hi Kamado Peeps,
      So, my friend bought me a 100 day grain fed Cattleman’s cut. I went reversed seared method, but not finished off in pan ON the GRILL
      Slowly brought her internal up to 49° Internal and rare. I had a steady burnt with cherry wood for over an hour.  Let rest and then finished off sliced on a bed on mashed potatoes, blanched asparagus with chimichurri homemade sauce.
      What a brilliant pcs of meat just so good. One day I might spend the money and try a Wagu…
      Keep smoking

• By LJS
      Hi Kamado Peeps,
      Did a reverse sear over the weekend with some chimichurri sauce.
      Scotch fillet a good inch or two thick smokes with cheery wood for about 1.30 hours and then seared. Set my probe on rare so internal was 49°but a little too rare for the wife so next time I will sear longer of go for a medium rare. The steak was fabulous for me dressed with sauce and some roasted veggies.
      I have ordered some dry aging bags, so I hope there get to me soon as I am super excite to try dry aging and then reverse searing or even just a grill/searing.
      Any tips and/or links for dry again will be appreciated.

Keep smoking

• By LJS
      Hi Kamada peeps
      Chimichurri sauce with all herbs from our garden except oil and garlic, our garlic is still growing lol. Reversed seared scotch fillet with back vegetable, fresh salad and a good red.
      Keep smoking

• By LJS
      Hi Kamado Peeps,
      Over the weekend I cooked up some pizza – cheese and veg cheese. I love the wood fire taste and the pizza is cooked just right in under 10min.
      I have not tried any backing yet but have done loads of baking on the webber. 
      Keep smoking