John Setzler

Orange-Honey Glazed Shrimp Skewers

I fired up the Kamado Joe Classic this evening to try out one of the recipes in Chris Lilly's new "Fire & Smoke" book.  I can't say much more than OUTSTANDING for this recipe!

Chris Lilly's "Yuzu Shrimp Skewers"

Ingredients:

1 to 2 pounds of 30ct shrimp, peeled, deveined, with tails on

Marinade:

5 tablespoons Yuzu juice (I had to substitute Orange Juice here)

1/4 cup honey

2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce

4 teaspoons sriracha chili sauce

4 teaspoons sesame oil

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon curry powder

1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

1 teaspoon minced garlic

Directions:

Prep your grill for direct cooking at a temp of 450-500°F.  I elevated my grill rack to the highest position to keep from scorching the shrimp.

Rinse and dry the shrimp.

Combine the marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl and wisk together until all the honey is dissolved and incorporated.  Add the shrimp to the bowl and toss/mix together to coat the shrimp.  Place in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.

Remove the shrimp from the marinade and put on bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water.  Place on the grill and cook for 2 minutes per side until done.

Serve hot!

Notes:

The flavor on this shrimp was likely the BEST I have ever tasted.  It has a small amount of heat to it but that heat doesn't hit you until you have eaten a few of the shrimp.  It's NOT hot... it just has a fantastic spicy profile.  

post-1-0-40748000-1421630159_thumb.jpg

Hey john,

I finally got a chance to watch the video. This might be a silly question, but I only learn by asking. Can you comment on the differences in this recipe with regards to direct or indirect heat? I assume the shrimp are on and off so quickly that there would be no differance in flavor.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By benadriaensen
      Hi all

After a very long time of reading reviews, comparing prices, and saving money, I've finally bought a KJ Classic (see picture).
      I am based in Switzerland, where upper grade meat cuts are very expensive, so I'd love to learn more about cooking cheaper cuts of meat. 
      Here's a random selection of thoughts I have so far:

1. Some of my favourite meals ever included hot smoked razor clams and octopus. Would anyone have an idea where I could find more info on this forum about this?
      2. I do have some very specific questions, e.g.: when cooking burgers on a cast iron griddle, does the fire provide a significant amount of taste, as compared to a stovetop? How should I go about finding more information? Is it ok to start a new threat and ask directly?

Looking forward to learning from this community

Ben

• By philpom
      "Pickled" Dill Bread

1 cup of water + 1 tbs
      1/3 cup of white vinegar
      4 cups of all purpose flour
      1/4 cup of potato flakes
      4 1/2 tbs white sugar
      2 1/2 tbs powder milk
      2 tsp kosher salt
      3 tbs butter
      4 tsp instant dry yeast
      1 heaping tbs dill seed.

Combine according to your bread machine instructions. Mine says add fluid, flour, other - being certain the yeast does not come in contact with any water.

Use the knead/dough only quick cycle. Once the cycle is completed remove the dough ball and form a "log" blob. Have a pre-warmed pizza stone ready with a heating pad underneath set to high to keep it warm. The stone should be a gentle warm and not hot. Place a large clear bowl over the dough and allow an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours to rise. I put some cornmeal on the stone to help prevent sticking.

Place in the kamado preheated to 350 degrees setup for indirect cooking and bake for about 50 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when you tap on it.

Cut and serve - be sure to try it still warm with butter!

Look at this topic for some picture of what it might look like:
      viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2819
    • By mslagle
      This is the second year we have done beef wellington for Christmas Eve dinner. Not going to lie, this dish takes a lot of prep work.

This year I decided to do everything but the puff pastry the night before. Prepped the mushroom duxelles and sauted it until completely dry. Shingled prosciutto and spread a thin layer of the mushroom duxelles over it. Quickly seared the center cut of a prime beef tenderloin and brushed it with dijon mustard. Used Oak Ridge BBQ’s Carne Crusta Steakhouse & Santa Maria rubs. Then wrapped it in the prosciutto/duxelles layer and put it in the fridge overnight. On Christmas Eve I wrapped it in a puff pastry and topped it with another layer of latticed pastry. Cooked on the Kamado Joe at +/- 400 degrees. Pulled the beef wellington when the internal temperature reached 127 degrees. Served it with salad, baked potatoes and a red wine reduction. I forgot got to get a picture while it was on the grill, and the money shot didn’t have the best lighting, but it was a perfect medium rare in the center. The wife and in-laws loved it and that’s what Christmas is all about! 

• By CentralTexBBQ
      King Crab, Smoked Salmon, Lobster, Lobster Tail, Shrimp (grilled and pan seared), Sweet Corn and Red Potato

A very bad pic ofspicy shrimp...

• By Lydia
      Scampi (Langoustines) in White Wine and Tomato Sauce with Pita Bread a.k.a Skampi na Buzaru if you're on the Adriatic Coast of Croatia 

If these sweet and tender little morsels of loveliness from the sea were as sustainable, prolific and cheap as they are on the West Coast of Scotland, I'd be eating these guys at least twice a week!!  We are lucky enough here in Australia that they also live in Western Australian waters, so I was able to get my little hands on some Aussie ones through my local fish monger.  I'm a little bit jealous that @KamadoJosephine can probably take a leisurely stroll down to the local fish market and pick them up as catch of the day fresh off the boat .  

If you travelled to the Adriatic  coast of Croatia and didn't stumble upon this dish in it's various forms with either scampi, octopus, mussels etc., you'd have to have been hiding in a box to not have come across it.... but I have to say that these little scampi are next level!  They are also known as Norway Lobster or even Dublin Bay prawn.   You could make this with shrimp or any other seafood... the last time I made this, I served the leftover sauce with pan-fried fish fillets and my husband really raved on about how good it was... however it is all the ingredients, including the scampi heads that really make this sauce.

It would be a crime to serve the sauce without something to mop it up, so I made some fluffy / chewy pita bread to serve with it.

I started with getting the Pita Bread doing it's thing:

1. Put the milk and hot water in a jug and leave for 10 mins (which should be enough to get it to room temp)
      2. add the sugar and yeast and mix to combine
      3. leave until it gets frothy (around 5-10 mins)
      4. put the flour, salt and thyme in a bowl
      5. once the liquid mixture is frothy, add it to dry ingredients and mix through using your fingers
      6. transfer to lightly floured surface and knead for approx 5 mins until nice and smooth
      7. transfer to lightly oiled bowl and cover with clean tea towel and leave for about an hour, until doubled in size
      8. when you're ready, cut into six pieces
      9. oil your work surface with some olive oil and roll each one out as the prior one cooks in a heavy based fry pan with a bit of oil on it, for a couple of minutes each side
      10. as they're cooked, I placed them in a cozy clean tea towel to keep them warm

White Wine, Seafood Sugo

A few of the heads from the smallest Scampi
      small brown onion, finely diced
      4 smallish or two large garlic cloves finely chopped
      1 can san Marzano tomatoes (pureed)
      1 cup white wine (I used a nice Chardonnay from Western Australia to go with the WA scampi) 
      fresh parsley, finely chopped
      olive oil
      salt and pepper
      some day old breadcrumbs ( a couple of tablespoons if necessary)

1. drizzle a bit of olive oil on the scampi heads and place in a medium oven to roast and enhance their flavour
      2. place some olive oil in a heavy based pan and cook off the onion until nicely translucent
      3. add the garlic and cook off until fragrant but not coloured
      4. place the roasted heads in the pan and add the white wine
      5. cook off the smell of the wine for a couple of minutes
      6. add the tomatoes
      7. simmer for 5 mins or so, until you can see the sauce is now cohesive ie. foamy bubbles from the tomato have disappeared
      8. if it's too runny, you can add the breadcrumbs to thicken
      9. if it becomes too thick, you can add some water to loosen it up.

Scampi

I kg scampi
      1 lemon rind
      juice 1/4 lemon
      1/4  cup olive oil

In Croatia, they would have cooked these whole in the sauce but that wouldn't have allowed me to get the kamado involved! 

Basically, I cut them down the length of their bodies, to get two nice flat sides for placing on the kamado

I brushed them with the olive oil/lemon mixture and cooked them on a 220C/450F kamado for really only a couple of mins per side. They're so delicate that I was very afraid of overcooking them!!

I nestled the cooked scampi in the sauce, sprinkled with the parsley and served with pita bread and a glass each of lovely Chardonnay wine of the side. Hubby and I enjoyed sharing this meal straight from the serving dish.