• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
John Setzler

Orange-Honey Glazed Shrimp Skewers

I fired up the Kamado Joe Classic this evening to try out one of the recipes in Chris Lilly's new "Fire & Smoke" book.  I can't say much more than OUTSTANDING for this recipe!

Chris Lilly's "Yuzu Shrimp Skewers"

Ingredients:

1 to 2 pounds of 30ct shrimp, peeled, deveined, with tails on

Marinade:

5 tablespoons Yuzu juice (I had to substitute Orange Juice here)

1/4 cup honey

2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce

4 teaspoons sriracha chili sauce

4 teaspoons sesame oil

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon curry powder

1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

1 teaspoon minced garlic

Directions:

Prep your grill for direct cooking at a temp of 450-500°F.  I elevated my grill rack to the highest position to keep from scorching the shrimp.

Rinse and dry the shrimp.

Combine the marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl and wisk together until all the honey is dissolved and incorporated.  Add the shrimp to the bowl and toss/mix together to coat the shrimp.  Place in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.

Remove the shrimp from the marinade and put on bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water.  Place on the grill and cook for 2 minutes per side until done.

Serve hot!

Notes:

The flavor on this shrimp was likely the BEST I have ever tasted.  It has a small amount of heat to it but that heat doesn't hit you until you have eaten a few of the shrimp.  It's NOT hot... it just has a fantastic spicy profile.  

post-1-0-40748000-1421630159_thumb.jpg

Hey john,

I finally got a chance to watch the video. This might be a silly question, but I only learn by asking. Can you comment on the differences in this recipe with regards to direct or indirect heat? I assume the shrimp are on and off so quickly that there would be no differance in flavor.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Edward Cook
      Well I got a Kamado Joe Classic II for my birthday last month and I've been trying different things and really enjoying this cooker. 

Last night we tried thin-crust pizza on a pizza stone. 

I watched all the @John Setzler pizza videos on the Kamado Joe cooking channel and used a very simple crust recipe with King Arthur bread flour. 

My kids had some friends over after Church so we ended up cooking 8 different pizzas. 

I think I'm really sold on parchment paper now.  I had never used it before, but there was no sticking and the pizza would slide off the paper/peel onto a waiting serving dish quite easily. 

Got the Joe up to 500-550 F and it took about 7 minutes per pizza and they all came out great.

• By CentralTexBBQ
      I really do love the new firebox design and having the peace of mind that I'll probably never see this thing crack. Great concept, looks great, etc... That said, cleaning the Big Joe used to be such a simple proposition of removing the ring and firebox, vacuuming, and replacing them. Now, it is much more of a hassle- so much so that I definitely clean less and even then, try to do so when I have another pair of hands available to reset all of the pie pieces (let's call them) in place. I am also a clean freak and the ash that finds it way into the cracks between the pie pieces drives me nuts. 

Not wishing to go back, just bemoaning the additional hassle somewhat.

Also wondering, has anyone successfully bent their ash collector flaps in order to reduce the air gap between it and the firebox? Just wondering. May just be a byproduct of using the Kick Ash Basket but, a lot more ash is finding its way around the collector.

My ash tray is also bent a little (off skew) and I may try to bring it back to square the next time it's heated.

• By PiggySmalls
      Hello, I just got a joe jr on Craigslist and it has a broken handle and is missing the grate and deflector rack. Does anyone know where I can get the deflector rack in the states or have an extra one?   Can find a grate and make a handle. Thanks in advance!!
    • By BBaldwin
      Hi everyone,
      We have had a Weber grill for years, but am looking at a ceramic grill. It looks like a wonderful way to cook. Trying to decide on which one.
      1. We are thinking about the Vision Grill Hybrid. Does anyone have any experience with it or should we stick with the one without the gas? Does lid stay open when partially opened?
      2. Also looking at the Prime Ceramic 778 as it is made in the USA. But can you use an electric igniter with this one? Is it easy to clean out the ashes? Does lid stay open when partially opened?
      3. Looking also at the Kamado Joe, 24 inch. Can you use an electric igniter with this as well?

• By DerHusker
      Chicken is my wife’s flavor and I like to mix it up so I went with a Shawarma feast. Started out with some chicken thighs that were on sale.

Shinned and deboned and cut them in half.

Bones were saved for making stock at a later time.

Next I made up a yogurt based shawarma marinade. Here are the ingredients:
      1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
      5 cloves of garlic
      ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
      ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
      2 tbsp. of olive oil
      2 tbsp. of ketchup
      1 teaspoon cloves
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon paprika
      ½ teaspoon cumin
      ½ teaspoon caraway (ground fennel)
      ½ teaspoon cardamon
      ½ teaspoon of oregano or thyme
      ½ teaspoon cinnamon
      ½ teaspoon nutmeg
      ½ teaspoon crushed peppercorn
      ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
      ¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Everybody in the pool

and then thoroughly mixed.

The thighs now went into pool for a nice long rest.

Next I made up some Tzatziki. Here are the ingredients: (From Chef John on FoodWishes.com)
      2 cups Greek yogurt
      1 large cucumber, peeled, grated, tossed with 1/2 teaspoon of salt
      4 cloves garlic, very finely minced
      juice of half a lemon or vinegar to taste
      3 tbsp. chopped fresh dill and/or mint
      salt, pepper, to taste

Next up was the Hummus ingredients.
      One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans
      1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
      1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini (we used Krinos)
      Half of a large garlic clove, minced
      2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
      1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste
      1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
      2 to 3 tablespoons water
      Dash of ground paprika for serving

Then some Persian Rice (From Bosco)

2 cups of basmati rice
      3 ½ cups of chicken stock/broth
      2 tbsp of butter
      ½ tsp turmeric
      ¼ tsp cumin
      Kosher salt and pepper

And finally a Mediterranean Tomato Salad.

Now I can cook the Shawarma. Broke out my good skewers. (Closest I can come to a Shawarma rotisserie) I used two so I could better control them on the grill.

Now I tightened up the stops to help keep in the marinade and juices

and placed them on the grill.

Flipped them after 5 to 6 minutes.

Here is everything plated up family style with some cucumber slices, baby pickles, pita bread and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA.

So Good! My wife loved everything and said it was the better that anything she’s ever ordered at a restaurant.
      Thanks for looking.