Orange-Honey Glazed Shrimp Skewers

John Setzler

I fired up the Kamado Joe Classic this evening to try out one of the recipes in Chris Lilly's new "Fire & Smoke" book.  I can't say much more than OUTSTANDING for this recipe!

Chris Lilly's "Yuzu Shrimp Skewers"

Ingredients:

1 to 2 pounds of 30ct shrimp, peeled, deveined, with tails on

Marinade:

5 tablespoons Yuzu juice (I had to substitute Orange Juice here)

1/4 cup honey

2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce

4 teaspoons sriracha chili sauce

4 teaspoons sesame oil

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon curry powder

1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

1 teaspoon minced garlic

Directions:

Prep your grill for direct cooking at a temp of 450-500°F.  I elevated my grill rack to the highest position to keep from scorching the shrimp.

Rinse and dry the shrimp.

Combine the marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl and wisk together until all the honey is dissolved and incorporated.  Add the shrimp to the bowl and toss/mix together to coat the shrimp.  Place in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.

Remove the shrimp from the marinade and put on bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water.  Place on the grill and cook for 2 minutes per side until done.

Serve hot!

Notes:

The flavor on this shrimp was likely the BEST I have ever tasted.  It has a small amount of heat to it but that heat doesn't hit you until you have eaten a few of the shrimp.  It's NOT hot... it just has a fantastic spicy profile.  

post-1-0-40748000-1421630159_thumb.jpg

Hey john,

I finally got a chance to watch the video. This might be a silly question, but I only learn by asking. Can you comment on the differences in this recipe with regards to direct or indirect heat? I assume the shrimp are on and off so quickly that there would be no differance in flavor.