Orange-Honey Glazed Shrimp Skewers

John Setzler

Sometimes I'll take the heads and shells and make some stock. In Alabama you are allowed to catch 1 gallon of live shrimp/day without an expensive shrimping license. I would leave them in a 5 gallon bucket for a day with an aerator and their digestive track would clean out (Sand/grit) Otherwise I devein (remove the digestive vein) with the store bought shrimp. It's okay to eat an un deveined shrimp, I just don't like the grit.

Hey john,

I finally got a chance to watch the video. This might be a silly question, but I only learn by asking. Can you comment on the differences in this recipe with regards to direct or indirect heat? I assume the shrimp are on and off so quickly that there would be no differance in flavor.

Indirect heat would just take a bit longer to cook the shrimp. Lots of people like to get a little char on the shrimp which would not happen on indirect heat.  I don't care for much char on shrimp but you could do this either way.

Hey john,

I finally got a chance to watch the video. This might be a silly question, but I only learn by asking. Can you comment on the differences in this recipe with regards to direct or indirect heat? I assume the shrimp are on and off so quickly that there would be no differance in flavor.

Indirect heat would just take a bit longer to cook the shrimp. Lots of people like to get a little char on the shrimp which would not happen on indirect heat.  I don't care for much char on shrimp but you could do this either way.

Thank you

Ben

I use to work at an outback as a teen. I was the grill guy lol!!!! Anyways I was taught that shrimp should never be over cooked therefore they recommended quick dose of heat. So an open flame is good for shrimp as it cooks them quick and avoids over cooking.

I also read an article while making a shrimp dish. It suggested that when shrimp cooks too much and shrivels they toughen up and dry out. Better to undercook and keep the flavour in the shrimp.

I prefer direct flame grilling of shrimp

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...