I have been wanting to do this cook for quite some time and finally had a chance to do it. I started with some elk roast that was given to me to see what I could do with it. Man this meat was beautiful and lean as could be....

post-6870-0-36378400-1421722155_thumb.jp

Being worried that the meat would dry out, I stuffed the roast with bacon...

post-6870-0-01816800-1421722285_thumb.jp

And then of course it was rubbed with spices...and wrapped with even more bacon...

post-6870-0-18089500-1421722362_thumb.jp

The roasts went on the Kamado Joe Classic at 225 and were smoked with alder, peach, cherry, and oak to an internal temp of 155 without foiling during the cook. They were then wrapped and allowed to rest for half an hour...

post-6870-0-96416500-1421722629_thumb.jp

Here is the money!

post-6870-0-52090200-1421722911_thumb.jp

The elk was cooked to a perfect medium to medium well and it was juicy as could be with no gaminess whatsoever. It was a fun cook and can't wait to do another piece of elk a different way. Thanks for looking!

post-6870-0-57043300-1421722414_thumb.jp

Welcome JohnWright.  :welcome:  If you scroll up on this post, you'll find answers to some of your questions.  For example, this particular elk sirloin roast was cooked to an internal temp of 155* at a dome temp of 225*.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By pmillen
      I smoke-roasted this in a Karubecue C-60 stick burner but previous cooks were done in a Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500 pellet pit.  I think it would cook up well in a kamado.  It's the best thing I've ever cooked.

I doubled the recipe for a dinner party.

Ingredients
      One bone-in pork loin roast
      2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
      2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
      2 teaspoons dried sage leaves
      1 teaspoon garlic powder
      Salt and pepper to taste

Optional Pan Sauce 
      ¾ cup dry vermouth or white wine
      1 cup water
      Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

1.  Trim off unneeded fat and silverskin to expose the meat to the rub.

2.  Rub the roast all over with mustard.  Sprinkle it with the thyme, sage, garlic, salt and pepper, patting so the seasonings will adhere.

3.  Put the loin back in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
      4.  Preheat pit to 350° F.
      5.  Place the loin in the pit, bones down, until it reaches an internal temperature of 145° to 150° F.

6.  Remove the roast from the oven, place it on a cutting board, tent it with foil, and let it rest for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, if desired, make a pan sauce
      7.  Place roasting pan over high heat. 
      8.  Add the vermouth and water. 
      9.  Bring to a boil, scraping up all the browned bits. 
      10.  Continue to boil until reduced by about half.
      11.  Slice the pork into chops and serve, drizzling each serving with the pan juices.
    • By Fudpucker
      As the title suggests, I am looking for help getting my Akorn to act the way I want it to for smoking purposes. 

I have the smoking stone, use a water pan, and lower my dampers until it basically snuffs out my fire, but I cannot seem to keep my Akorn at 225. 

Now, I will admit that I am new to smoking and that there is a lot to be learned, but I have read tons of guides and watched videos and replicated them to my best ability, but still cannot get it to work for me. 

Currently, my process is this:

Open dampers all the way Fill bottom of grill full of hardwood lump Light with cotton balls soaked in alcohol Toss in a couple chunks of hickory Place my smoking stone Place my water pan Close lid and let set until 150 Close dampers halfway until 180 Close dampers again halfway until 210 Close dampers halfway one last time to about .5 on top and bottom.  
      1 of 2 things happens here. Either the temp keeps building to nearly 300 or the fire dies. 

I play with the dampers making very small .5 adjustments to try and finagle it, but I cannot seem to get it right. 

When I do seem to get the temps in a semi stable range around 230-260 (after LOTS of adjustments), after about an hour I go to spritz my meat with some apple juice and the temps take off again (Obviously because I just fed it a lot of oxygen) and never seem to come back down. 

I have read about this "volcano" method of lighting the coals, but I literally have not found any videos or pictures on how to set that up. 

Basically, I have no idea what I am doing wrong and I could use someone being critical of my process to give me some advice and direction. 

Thanks for any feedback!

• By BrianAZ
      Got some family coming in from out of state, and I figured that I’d cook up some steak for the occasion. At Costco, I found this 17lb choice strip loin. Looking through the packaging it seemed better marbled than most choice I’d ever seen. I cut her down and got one monster 24oz steak (I like them nice and thick), and nine 18oz steaks. Even had a 3.7lb roast left over. 

Cooked three of them tonight with a reverse sear. 

temp’d out at 133. Nice mid rare. Super yummy. 

• By DerHusker
      Most of you who’ve been around a few years know this is the time of year that I go Full Griswald so I haven’t got a lot of cooking in recently. Well I was finally able to get in a cook this weekend. Every year I host our family Christmas get together. My 2 brothers that live out here in California, come down from the L.A. area with my niece and nephew. We like to vary the meal menu each year. One year we will cook Tamales, (A So. Cal. Christmas staple) the next we’ll do Turkey, then a nice Honey Baked Ham. Well last year we decided to try a Ribeye Roast and it was a big hit so we did it again this year.
      My preparations started the night before when I made up some Horseradish Sauce. (This pic is from last year but it’s the same as what I did this year)

Horseradish Sauce Recipe: (Tweaked from Chef John on Food Wishes)

1/2 cup sour cream or crème fraiche

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

pinch of cayenne

2 teaspoon thinly sliced chives. (I like to use Dill)                                                  
      2 tablespoons extra hot (Atomic) pure horseradish (not horseradish sauce)

I had this nice boneless Ribeye Roast in my freezer that I started thawing last Tuesday.

Early Sunday I made up a Rosemary and Garlic rub / paste to use on it.

Rub Recipe: (From Larry of BEER-N-BBQ by Larry)

1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
      3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
      2 Tbsp salt
      1 Tbsp black pepper
      OO

I unwrapped the roast and trimmed off most of the hard fat.

I applied the rub (paste)

and then covered it with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for the next 4 hours to come up to room temperature.

Around noon I set up my kamado for direct / indirect cooking. I let it come up to 250 degrees before I put on the roast.

While it was cooking we set the table from our guests.

After it reached an internal temperature of 124 degrees I pulled it off and covered it while the kamado got up to searing temps. (Note: many of my guests wanted it well done so the best I could talk them into was cooking to medium)

Once the CI grate was nice and hot I put on the roast for 1 minute per side.

Here are some pics of me slicing it.

On the table on the Christmas platter.

And here it is plated with a Stone Brewing “Pataskala Red X IPA” on the side. Both are waiting to be devoured.

Even though this was cooked to mostly medium it was still delicious. The rub / paste developed into a nice crust that was absolutely delicious.

Thanks for looking.

• By SmokinSteveBBQ
      Hi all you Smokers out there ...... This is an awesome cook if you want to give it a try.

I thought this casserole would be good smoked so I thought I'd give it a try and it blew me away when I ate it. It really took on that smokey flavor and was outstanding. It is a Beef & Potato casserole with sliced onion, diced red peppers, cream of mushroom soup, and graded cheddar cheese. 

It really turned out good so go fire up those smokers and give it a try .... you'll be glad you did.