philpom

SS cookware - help me decide which

Guys/Gals,

The topic about teflon has me thinking again about new cookware for the house.  The topic came up earlier last year and I dropped it but it's back.  I'm on the fence and am looking for some advice from the Gurus.  I know the subject stated SS cookware but I tossed in a non-stick option because A) we have been happy over the past 15 years with the set we have now and B) there is some reservation about moving to SS - I hear everything sticks and burns in them.  I am on the fence but leaning towards the 17 piece set right now.

I have come down to 3 choice.  Opinions/advice please.

This 

Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 13-pc. Cookware Set

This

Cuisinart® Stainless Steel 17-Piece Cookware Set

or

This

Cuisinart Chef's Classic Non-stick Hard Anodized 17-Piece Cookware Set

I have calphalon nonstick anodized aluminum and based on my experience I would buy them again and again. I take good care of mine. After 10 years the nonstick coating looks new. The outsides have some battle scars.

I also have a few all class SS. I like them too. I generally go for CI skillets before SS skillets.

If I were to purchase SS cookware, I'd spend the money on All-Clad again. We've had some lower priced stuff (much lower) that didn't hold up the way our All-Clad has. Now, I will second that for non-stick you cannot go wrong with the calphalon anodized stuff - we use this much more frequently than the SS stuff...

I think that is a great choice philpom. I have a bunch of All Clad and really love them. I gave up Teflon about 12 years ago. I know they say it is safe if....., My parakeet, Pete and a few other birds lost their feathers and the doc said Teflon flu.

The things I like about your Caphalon. They have 3 rivets, mine has 2 rivets, both are 3 ply. Your set has glass tops and that is a feature I really would appreciate. I also have some anodized aluminum Caphalon but I like the SS All Clad Stuff better. I also have some Magnalite Pots and Pans from my mother that are the Boss.

I have never used Tri-Ply but know some that have All-Clad and like them. I have both Calphalon and Magnalite hard anodized pots and pans that I have had for 20 plus years ( that's right got them when I was an infant) and love them. If taken care of will last for a lifetime.

So far, some valuable advice to consider, seems that a number of you lean towards non-stick for the obvious benefit it brings to the table, the rest are liking the all clad.  Nobody seems down with the Cuisinart which is SS with a base only and not true tri clad.

Let me provide some clarity to my situation.....

I have some "points" that work for a corporate "perks" online mall.  It works like an arcade where you collect a thousand tickets and you can trade them in for a rubber ball except it's more like a mini Amazon.  The 3 cook sets above are the best they offer in my current range with the Cuisinart being about half the cost of the Calphalon.  I could go much cheaper, they have a Wearever set of non-stick.....  This is a "free" gift, I am not spending cash, with one choice I get more pieces and more junk because it costs fewer points and with the other I get tri ply.

So based on feature versus utility versus quality I am trying to decide.  For example the Calphalon comes with a 6 quart stock pot, the Cuisinart a 9 quart stock pot.  The Calphalon has glass lids, the Cuisinart SS lids.  The Calphalon set comes with 3 skillets with no cover and a "chefs pan"/skillet  with a cover while the Cuisinart comes with 3 skillets with cover and a 4 quart "saute pan"/skillet with cover... etc...etc...

Does any of this matter?  The only difference between the 2 Cuisinart sets is one is SS with base and the other is hard anodized aluminum non-stick but the pieces are the same.  

With all of that being said it is noteworthy to mention a few other things I looked at - perhaps I just say, "screw new pots" and grab a 3 burner Camp Chef grill or Char Griller Kamado or Broil King Monarch or a Weber Smoky mountain, Samsung Galaxy tab?  $500 Cabela's gift card?

Non stick in SS is all about how you control your cook. You have to get the pan up to the proper temp then add a touch of oil.

I have had really good results non stick in SS if done right. There are a few dishes that do require Teflon. Frozen Pot Stickers comes to mind, teflon or you screwed them up.

Given a choice between SS or Teflon, I would pick SS every day of the week.

On a side note:

You need to buy full SS including the handles. No plastic involved. That way you can go from pan searing direct into a long kamado cook without worrying.

My brother is a great cook. #2 Chef at one of Atlanta's #1 restaurants many years ago (Ray's on the River). He bought a set of Copper Clad pots and pans. Hung them from the ceiling in his kitchen. After a while he wouldn't use them anymore because he would have to polish them.

I never was a fellow to display my pots and pans for public display. I can clean a SS pan with a stainless brillo pad as quick as I can clean a non-stick, and I'll shut up with that.

You probably have more pots and pans than you can shake a stick at. I like that Cabelas Card idea. Get a bunch of cool stuff.

I never was a fellow to display my pots and pans for public display. I can clean a SS pan with a stainless brillo pad as quick as I can clean a non-stick, and I'll shut up with that.

Damn you said a mouth full and I totally agree. Once I found SS brillo pads - game over. If you haven't found them already go look for them in Walmart. Just don't use them on Teflon.

Also the aerosol in most spray cooking oils eventually breaks down Teflon. Use a pump bottle or pour from a bottle. Leave the aerosols in the store.

I agree CK. Aerosols have propellants/flammable (hmm) that have nothing to do with oil. Might as well be Hair spray. Get your potato gun out and shot shoot me a potato.

Still laughing my assbutt off.

I have two bottles of aquanet hair spray set aside for the potato gun. I don't even think you can buy that anymore. But whatever propellant they used will get you a 100 yards or better. Nothing else compares and I've tried everything flammable in the potato gun.