philpom

SS cookware - help me decide which

I have that Cuisinart Chef's Classic Non-stick Hard Anodized 17-Piece Cookware Set in your last link philpom. I bought it several years ago for about $200.00. Your link shows $670.00 from Brookstone. You can still find that set for under $250.00. I abuse it and it still looks good. 

IMHO Tramontina offers the best value in SS cookware.  Walmart carries them online and you can have them shipped directly to you or pick them up at the store.

I have several pieces of All-Clad SS cookware and I L-O-V-E them!  But they are pricey.  Maybe you should consider an 11 or 12-inch All-Clad french skillet and some Tramontina cookware as a best value in gourmet SS cookware.

I use a portable induction cooktop often on my patio and I buy induction cookware when it makes sense.  Both the All-Clad and the Tramontina are induction ready in most of their product lines.

I have no relationship with All-Clad or Tramontina other than I like and use their products.

I'm an ALl-Clad fan.  Used it for years.  Every time the exes moved out they took the All-Clad with them.  And every time I lost he All-Clad I bought it again.  Great stuff.  You get exactly what you pay for.  All-Clad and Lodge is all I have in my kitchen.

We went to Stainless only about 5 years ago.  Sam's and Costco had some really nice Stainless sets when we bought ours.  We scrub ours with Ajax Powder and a wet sponge after every use and they still look new.  Put a little oil in them and heat them up a bit before cooking  

First off, why buy a full set? I'm a big believer in only buying pieces that you actually have a use for. Especially if you're new to using SS cookware, just get a good skillet and see how you like it. Personally, I have one tri-ply SS skillet, a couple big enameled cast iron dutch ovens, and the rest is mostly annodized aluminum nonstick. I mostly just use the SS for things that don't work as well with nonstick, like if I want to build a fond for a sauce.

That said, like Pegasus52 I'm a fan of Tramontina's higher-quality SS. It's fully-clad tri-ply, and available for a pretty reasonable price on Walmart.com.

I just did one search and found it for $259.00. How can Brookstone charge $670.00?  :roll:

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/cookware/non_stick_hard_anodized/sets_nsha/66-17.html

Because they're Brookstone!  Grab your wallet before yo walk into that store in the mall!  Talk about 3xs the price of anywhere else!

My brother is a great cook. #2 Chef at one of Atlanta's #1 restaurants many years ago (Ray's on the River). He bought a set of Copper Clad pots and pans. Hung them from the ceiling in his kitchen. After a while he wouldn't use them anymore because he would have to polish them.

I never was a fellow to display my pots and pans for public display. I can clean a SS pan with a stainless brillo pad as quick as I can clean a non-stick, and I'll shut up with that.

You probably have more pots and pans than you can shake a stick at. I like that Cabelas Card idea. Get a bunch of cool stuff.

I love Rays

Out of the choices listed, I’d go with the Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 13-pc. Cookware Set. Here’s why:

The Cuisinart stainless steel set you listed only has the aluminum on the bottom of the pot. For efficiency, it’s better to have a pot or pan where the cladding goes up the sides as well. Water will boil faster, and you’ll avoid the hot spots that develop in the corner of the pot.

The other Cuisinart hard anodized set doesn’t have the issue of just having the aluminum at the bottom, but I’d rather have a non-non-stick cooking surface (a stick cooking surface? ^_^ ) than a non-stick one. Non-stick certainly makes clean up easy, but it interferes with the browning process that adds so much flavor to what you cook.

It’s easy to manage a pan with a stainless steel interior. The rules are: 

1. Heat up the pan empty until it’s at the temperature that you want.
  2. Then add your oil/butter, and swirl it around, and wait for it to heat up.
  3. Then add the food. If you’re sautéing, stir the food around fast. If you’re cooking something that needs to sit, like a chicken breast, a piece of fish, or a sunny side up egg, be patient until the underside gets cooked. Once that happens, the food will release. 

Using the above method, I can routinely cook sunny side up eggs without problems, even though I don’t have a non-stick pan.

If, after trying the above, your food is still sticking, you probably have your stove burner too high. The good news with quality cookware, you don’t need as much heat as you might think. I typically have my gas stove full blast for steps 1 and 2, but I tend to dial it down to medium as I add the food.

If you still really really really want a non-stick pan, use a cast-iron pan instead.

The Cuisinart stainless steel set has glass lids. Glass lids are useless. They steam up if there’s food cooking in the pot, and you won’t be able to see a thing, defeating the reason for having glass in the first place. There’s no downside to glass lids, as long as they fit well. I’m just mentioning this so you don’t use the lids as a decision point.

One last suggestion: you may want to look into the All-Clad MasterChef 2 line. Unless you're going to be extravagant and get copper, I think All-Clad is the best option out there. One option to think about that isn't really well known is their MasterChef 2 line. It has a stainless steel interior, with an aluminum core and a brushed aluminum exterior (hardened, but non-anodized), which really holds up well over time. Anodized aluminum will show scratches and dings over time, and the brushed aluminum hides it really well. Because there isn't a stainless steel exterior, this line is less expensive. I have the original MasterChef line, and it's held up great, even 20 years later. I probably will wind up having to pass them on after I die.

I just did one search and found it for $259.00. How can Brookstone charge $670.00?  :roll:

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/cookware/non_stick_hard_anodized/sets_nsha/66-17.html

Because they're Brookstone!  Grab your wallet before yo walk into that store in the mall!  Talk about 3xs the price of anywhere else!

But hey, their massage chairs make for a great break and it's free CC! I've never bought anything at Brookstone. Years ago I picked up a couple of cool gardening tools from The Sharper Image. I don't think they are even around anymore. 

But hey, their massage chairs make for a great break and it's free CC! I've never bought anything at Brookstone. Years ago I picked up a couple of cool gardening tools from The Sharper Image. I don't think they are even around anymore.

I HATE the sales pitch I have to endure while sitting in the chairs! I bought two travel pillows that worked well for a flight to Australia! That was 5 years ago and they still work well!

But you're right - way overpriced!

I'm an All Clad tri-ply SS user for 25+ years and have no complaints.  I've purchased from open stock, non-set sales, only what I thought I'd need and use.  Over time, I've accumulated quite a few skillets, sauciers, pots, stock pots and lids. 

It goes from burner to oven, kamado to oven, induction burner to serving, you name it. 

Clean up with Brillo SS or just a SS scrubber and a little Barkeepers Friend is all it needs.  Despite pretty hard, pretty frequent use, it looks lovingly used and ready to perform.