• Similar Content

• By SkiVideoGuy
      Hey Guys,

As I mentioned in my intro, I have 3 different kamados and want to put 1-2 of them in a custom table. What advise to you have for pimping out my table? 

What should go underneath? Charcoal, various wood bits for smoking, tools and accessories

Cooler integration or tap integration? I have a ManCan128 (https://www.mancan.beer) which could be somehow "built-in" or a Yeti or Cabella's style cooler. 

Speaker(s), USB charging, light(s)

Should I do one Kamado and my TEC Sterling II?

Wheels?

Materials? Stainless top, scratch and dent quartz or granite? Backpainted glass?

Fun winter project to bring to life while I learn how to use my K. 

Happy Weekend!
    • By Smokehowze
      A few recent cooks in keeping with the New Year’s view on meals with a reduced dietary impact:

Kamado Grilled Chicken Salad  with a Greek yogurt, mayo, and a vinegar element with a touch of curry as the dressing.  The dressing is flavorful but light.  Boiled egg, celery, onion, apple, and toasted pecan additions kick up the dish.  Mrs. Smokehowe hit a home run on this one. Her presentation is not bad either!

Kamado Venison Chili with a balanced profile of Chili Powder plus Chipotle, Ancho, Guajillo, Anaheim, & Jalapeno ground pepper powders in the underlying flavors along with the other typical ingredients.   This is a very lean chili in regard to fat – yet still rich in character - the pepper portfolio really complements the deer.  Thanks goes to my brother for the deer meat.

Kamado Chicken Thighs with a Montreal Chicken and black pepper base flavor layer overlaid with a light coating of a honey chipotle glaze.  Latkes made with leftover “light” potato salad, pan sautéed in avocado oil.  My son did a nice job on re-purposing the potato salad for the latkes. 

New Orleans Red Beans & Rice using Camellia brand beans seasoned with baked ham and the ham bone plus homemade sausage and the usual other ingredients.  Great way to add that fiber.

Baked Falafel on Lepinja (Bosnian Pita Bread) with tahini sauce, a Greek yogurt cucumber sauce and homemade baba ghanoush.  Falafel using canned chickpeas is so simple to make.  My son has the texture and flavor profile spot on when he makes a batch.  Baking these is as good or better than frying them.

Turkey Burger with a side of oven baked sweet potato fries.   Zatarain’s creole mustard complements a dollop of mayo.  Martin's brand Dutch taste potato bread is top notch for these instead of a bun. Add lettuce, tomato, and some of my fermented garlic dill "half-sour" pickles and we are good to go.

Zucchini “Spaghetti” with Two Sauces – used a spiral slicer on the zucchini to make the spaghetti.   One sauce was tomato and homemade hot Italian venison sausage.  The other a nice garlic shrimp.  Corn bread cakes round out the dish.  Three corn cakes looked good on the plate but I only got to eat one.  Zucchini as a spaghetti substitute really works.  Glad I bought the Veggetti slicer on sale after Thanksgiving.

• By Marty
      I have Amazon Prime and watched The Perfect Human Diet last night. It is interesting to watch but the sound quality is not the best.

The conclusion that they bring you to is one in which the Kamado fits in perfectly.

Basically they go back through history and find out what people ate around the whole world before the modern way of life impacted those areas

Then they looked at diets changes that produced dramatic improvement in health and dramatic weight loss. that actully workwed historically. Basically they advocate a Paleo diet.

Foods to eat-- meat ( even fatty cuts), green vegetables, broccoli,cauliflower, dry red wine and so on.
      Basically foods that are high in protein or have a lot of fiber and carbohydrates that are slow to metabolize. 
      Foods to avoid are any that came with the recent occurrence of agriculture--any baked goods like bread or pastries. all processed or concentrated sugars like cane sugar, agave syrup, honey,  maple syrup, potatoes, starches, BEER and so on. Basically any thing that spikes the blood sugar level.
      Flour is considered a processed food as are rolled oats.

I tried this diet after reading the Four hour Body. It really is true that you can drop weight and eat as much as you want and not exercise. I lost 40 pounds with out any exercise and eating as much as i wanted.

One item that I found interesting was that the food recommendations of the federal government came in the 1960's. They   basically swapped the protein and carbohydrates in the recommended diet that had been followed for 100 years. The reason was concern with heart attacks.  The new diet  recommendation has increased weight gain and increased heart attacks and diabetes.

The interesting thing is the current guideline is very close to the same guidelines that they use to fatten live stock for slaughter.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_17?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the%20perfect%20human%20diet&sprefix=the+perfect+human%2Caps%2C924
    • By Dub
      After the meatball experience the other day....my family ate them up quicklike.....in subs & on Angel hair pasta.   My wife had suggested I use them on pizza.....then said that's what she wanted yesterday.     So I had fun making up another batch and followed John's video recipe.    Seems they laugh at my signing along.....grossly out of tune....when I get certain music krunk up in the kitchen.....so I appeased them on this cook.  Straight up blues jams without a whole lot of vocals.                               Couldn't help myself after a couple of brews, though....had to break out some classic stuff and let it ride.                                   Grilling & cooking tunes sure do really make it even more relaxing.                           Had to taste test one...Lawd have mercy !                     Rinsed off my trusty pizza stone and let it dry.           This thing has been killer.  Soapstone performance has been flawless. I really should spend a few minutes and scrub it off and leave it sitting out.  They look great when cleaned up.....I just need to spend a few minutes and do it.             Later on I it set the kamado up for pizza and let it come up to temp and heat soak the stones.               Son's pie for when he got home from his girlfriend's house.       Wife & I had this 'un         I didn't do so well on pics of finished eats.....things were moving pretty fast on back-to-back pies.             Awesome weather again today.   Gonna find something to grill later on.     We are so fortunate this February compared to last February when the ice storms left everyone powerless and stranded.  It was crazy how the same weather that many of you live through every year can shut this area down.  We just aren't set up for it, nor do we know how to drive in it.  I gotta admit it was fun putting my truck in 4WD and driving around in all the snow & ice while our cellphones recharged and we hunted for hot coffee.    
    • By 3vil3ric
      So last summer I picked up one of these.  It is a camo baseball cap with LEDs in the brim.  I found it for $5 at Walmart.
      When I put it in the cart my wife and daughter pronounced it the "Hillbilly Hat".  Who's laughing now?
      This is, in my opinion, an essential winter grilling accessory.  I've tried the lights on the handle, but this points where I'm looking.
      (And it makes my head virtually invisible when I put it on)

The HAT

SPOT LIGHT 

WIDE BEAMS

COMBO SPOT AND WIDE BEAM

REPLACEABLE WATCH BATTERIES