Braided dual marinated pork tenderloin bacon wrapped on #KamadoJoe

I have been toying with ideas to make something a little different.  I later discovered braided tenderloin had been done before, but with only a weave of 3 to 1.  Also, other examples had been done with a single rub/marinade.   Two packages of pork tenderloin were purchased, as well as two different types of marinade.  Pineapple was added to the teriyaki marinade to give it sweet undertones, and Honey Whiskey was added to the Worchester-Garlic marinade to give it a bit of kick too.  The tenderloin was cut into strips, and each strips was split up the middle almost entirely to the end.  The strips were rested with one batch in one marinade, and the other batch in the second marinade.  Once removed from the marinade, alternating types of marinated meats were woven in a 9 to 1 braid.  A classical bacon weave was prepared to wrap the weave of tenderloin.  The bacon was wrapped around the woven tenderloin and secured with butcher's string.  The second tenderloin weave was wrapped around it's diameter in four places, then rolled.  The roll was secured with butcher's string, and the meat was put on the smoke for cooking.   

post-6716-0-93369700-1421989136_thumb.jppost-6716-0-35351500-1421989138_thumb.jppost-6716-0-79505500-1421989139_thumb.jppost-6716-0-94961900-1421989140_thumb.jppost-6716-0-04983100-1421989142_thumb.jppost-6716-0-11041000-1421989143_thumb.jppost-6716-0-14841700-1421989144_thumb.jppost-6716-0-22205900-1421989145_thumb.jp

Not sure I completely understand this but I'll read it again in the clear light of tomorrow. (I'm off work tomorrow so my brain is a little foggy tonight - LOL )

Anyway it sounds really good. Something I will have to try. Excellent job cooking "outside the box".

I don't blame you CKreef, there is a lot going on between the alternating marinades and the more complex weave of the tenderloin, surrounded by a bacon weave and tied.

I'm a few sheets into the wind tonight - I'm sure it will all make sense tomorrow - LOL

Final money shots.  Both of the prepared tenderloins finishing on the Big Joe.  The finished rolled, bacon wrapped, marinated, braided pork tenderloin.  And a shot of the straight basket bacon wrapped, braided, dual marinated pork tenderloin, cross section view.

post-6716-0-03942000-1421993458_thumb.jp

post-6716-0-52636800-1421993459_thumb.jp

post-6716-0-61645400-1421993460_thumb.jp

The weave pattern was a 9:1 braid, like what is done with bread loafs.  Nine strips of meat are laid out parallel.  You have even numbered strips come from one marinade, odd numbered strips come from the second marinade.  The outer strip on the right is wove under two inner strips, then over two strips and left in the center of the group.  Then the outer strip on the left is wove under two inner strips, then over two strips and left in the center of the group. Repeat this cycle until you reach the end of your strips.  A basket weave of bacon is prepared, and wrapped around the braided tenderloin; butcher string is used to secure the bacon in place until the cooking fixes the bacon in place.  A quick note on the bacon, try to use the leanest bacon you can find, high fat bacon has high shrinkage, and can cause gaps to appear in the weave during the cook. 

The second tenderloin was fixed in a similar fashion, but instead of having a full bacon weave around it, four strips of bacon are wrapped around the width of the braided tenderloin.  Then the braid is rolled up (like a cinnamon roll) and tied with butcher string for the cook. 

A little bit on why a braid makes sense.  Marinated flavors only quickly penetrate to a limited depth.  By slicing the tenderloin to quarter inch thick slices, it ensures you get maximum flavor and tenderness from the marinade on all the meat.  It also introduces the flavor of a rub/marinade to the center of the braided meat, instead of just the outside.  By braiding alternating marinated strips, you introduce layers of flavor throughout the meat, which gives a nice variety with one dish when served.  Serving suggestion, slice into medallions, and pour a simmered sweetened mango/cayenne sauce over the medallions. 

I couldn't resist last night and had a slice after the tenderloin rested, it was very good. It had a wonderful mix of flavors from the two marinades, the one rub and bacon. The tenderloin which was laid out as a straight strip cooked a bit faster, the rolled braided tenderloin had a thicker cross-section, and took an extra half hour to cook.