SuperBowl Quandry...

So I'm doing a butt on my komado for Superbowl.  Have 14 people coming for the big game.  Game time on the west coast is 3:30.  Which would put half time ~4:30-5pm.   Do I risk putting it on at 4am Sunday morning (at a higher temp than 225)?  Or do I do it Saturday, and re-heat in a much more relaxed state of mind on Sunday in time for the big feed?  I know the benefit of taking it off the BBQ just in time, with the excitement of pulling it in front of everyone, blah blah blah.  But I also know the frustration of sitting at the stall, and not being ready to eat on time...  I did one a couple of weekends ago, and it actually took 17 hours at 225, and was DELICIOUS (I did post it here).  That time, as it took so long, I took it off at 203 degrees, pulled it, put it into tightly sealed vacuum packs, then re-heated the packs in a sous vide manner, in 180 degree water.  Massaging the pouches as they heated up kept the juices distributed, and everyone who ate that night, LOVED it!  

What would you guys do?  I'm doing a ~6lb butt.  My last experience was a 5 pounder, done at 225 degrees, and took 17 hours.  But it was AMAZING.  I've heard the stories that you can do it at a much higher temp for a shorter time with good results, but I'm afraid to mess with success...

Am I overthinking it?  Do I do it Saturday, then reheat a la sous vide?  Or do it take the plunge and do it Sunday?  HELP!!!

I would put it on Saturday night into the morning.  And pull mid day Sunday.  I think pulled pork tastes far better the next day when the smoke has a chance to settle.  I would throw it in a crock with some cider vinegar and apple juice and brown sugar the next day.  

Canadians - I'm  big believer in sticking with what you know, especially for a party.  Experiment during the week, but for parties, why risk it?  Serve it fresh, I HATE reheated leftovers and this will be left over from Saturday.  Allow yourself plenty of time.  If your cook finishes early, wrap in foil towel, and place in a cooler until time to serve.  The cook will keep for hours so no big deal.  If its getting time and you're still in the stall, you can always up the temp.  Forget the sous vide.  Do an overnight Saturday night, fish around 12-2 Sunday, and wrap, cooler, and serve hot and fresh!

Here's to a really fun time at your party!

If it was me, I'd be cooking it the day before for a couple of reason...

1.  You don't know long its going to take (the stall)

2.  Not sure about you, but I like to rest them wrapped in a cooler for a couple of hours before pulling them

3.  IMO PP tastes better the next day!

This also lets you relax and have more fun on game day.   When you reheat it, just add a splash of apple juice to keep it moist and your guests will love it!

Hmmm...I hear you both.  I've never done an 'all-nighter', and nervous to leave the kamado going all night without being there to monitor it.  I fear I'd be up all night, and feel like a sack of you-know-what for the big party...in my 50's, I'm too old to pull an all-nighter!!  lol.  So if I put it on Saturday afternoon, go all night, and it finishes early, do I pull it, and then wrap it in foil to keep the pulled pork hot?  Or keep it whole, and pull closer to the serving time? 

OK Rak73, I like your thoughts!   Maybe it's a Canadian thing?  haha.   I fear if I'm up all night Saturday night, I'll be the guy snoring on the couch during the game!?

LOL For me, if I have it cooking overnight, I'm so paranoid that I'll be tossing and turning and not sleeping anyways!  This way its done and out of the way IMO

Uhh, the answer is an automatic temperature controller. This way your Kate Upton dreams won't be interrupted with worry over your meat. You'll enjoy a peaceful slumber and get to enjoy fresh pulled pork. There's nothing like those first few bites of a hot butt. Makes you want to slap your mama or at the very least that aunt who bought you a kitten sweater in eighth grade and made you wear it to school and get ridiculed. My vote is fresh.

OK Rak73, I like your thoughts!   Maybe it's a Canadian thing?  haha.   I fear if I'm up all night Saturday night, I'll be the guy snoring on the couch during the game!?

LOL For me, if I have it cooking overnight, I'm so paranoid that I'll be tossing and turning and not sleeping anyways!  This way its done and out of the way IMO

I see in your picture, that your kamado is on a wooden deck, as is mine.  No way I could sleep, with fears of the darned thing exploding, and lighting the whole neighborhood on fire.  But, I do fully understand the benefits of fresh off the BBQ...  AND then I argue with myself, that it's just a bloody football game, I'm not feeding royalty at a formal dinner!  hahaha... reheated pulled pork is probably the best meal my buds have had in years!  lol.

LOL Its funny, sometimes what I think is just an OK cook, my family and friends think is the best they've ever had ;)  I think my friends are just happy when they get food, they really aren't very picky! LOL

I think for us up here in the North people don't really know real BBQ.  I have been fortunate to eat in many places in the US and blown away by the BBQ.  So when I make BBQ that I feels can hold up against some of the places that I have eaten at, I know that even if it is ok, it is still better than most of my friends and family here have had.

I agree, you want it fresh. As CC said, plan on it finishing 2 hours before serving time.

1. That way, if it finishs early, you can double wrap and place in a cooler.

2. If it finishes too early, there's nothing wrong with having the pulled pork during the game and not waiting till half time.

3. If it stalls longer than you thought, you have time to recover.

4. Right before the game and everyone is there of course, if it's not off yet, you need to go check it's temp with everyone letting them see your Qing ability. They may want to scarf less snacks in favor of the main course to come off the smoker.

5. It's too late to get it now, but if you have, or know somneone that has a RO-Man pork puller, this is THE way to pull a pork butt for Super Bowl tail gate party/home party.  MORE POWER, MORE POWER!!!!