6. BillCarr

BillCarr

7. ckreef

ckreef

8. Remoh

Remoh

• Similar Content

• By LargeRedJoe
      I tried using a Chuck Steak last night for Carne Asada. While it wasn't awful and the flavor was tasty, the texture was just too danged chewy, even medium rare. Too much tugging to bite a piece loose.

*sigh*

So lesson learned -  flank steak just has better marbling and less connective tissue among the muscle segments. 

The leftovers are currently slow-cooking in my Ninja along with some previously-cooked brisket - and will be tonight's chili.  
    • By manoloparrilla
      Chuck Steak
      Salt to taste
      Olive oil

Sear at 500F Cook at 300F

Buen Provecho!!! .....  :-)
    • By karacooks
      Betcha didn't think I was going to make it today, did you? It's almost 9 p.m.! 

So this cook was completely inspired by @DerHusker's Pepper Stout Beef. My original intent was to duplicate his post, but work got hectic today and I didn't get a chance to hit the grocery store for what I needed. So I punted.

Started with a 3lb chuck roast which I rubbed with Louisiana Hot Sauce, and then coated in a mix of Penzey's medium chili powder, celery salt, cumin, and garlic powder. I wrapped it in plastic and let it rest in the fridge for about 4ish hours. 

Into my 3qt dutch oven, I put potatoes, about 3/4 of a leftover red onion, a yellow spanish onion, a bag of baby carrots (chopped), some celery, and 5 of the riped Hatch chiles that I roasted off yesterday. Oh, and a couple of smashed cloves of garlic. Added 1/4 cup of Worcestershire, and about 3/4 of a bottle of Shiner Bock.

Grill at 200°, cast iron griddle as defuser on the lower rack, dutch oven with veggies on the middle rack, and chuck on the top. 

Of course the minute I put everything on the grill, the skies opened up.

Nevertheless, the grill held the temp perfectly. After about 2 hours the meat was at 163°

So I popped the meat into the bowl with the veggies, foiled, and bumped the temp to 330°

2 more hours and it was testing at 205° and felt like butter.

Shredded and mixed with the veg and juice:

And served with a salad with sliced avocado. 

And plenty left over for lunch tomorrow! Yum!!
    • By Improv
      Wound up with a rare day off (I keep thinking the light season is coming, but the horizon keeps shifting)... I was unprepared for a brisket so I decided to try a chuckie again. My first attempt (http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/5139-my-firhuckiest-c/) turned out a bit tough and dry.

I seasoned the ~3lb roast with montreal steak and some olive oil and trussed it up before hitting the grill.

Started at 250° for the first 3.5 hours and then panicked a bit at the stall (151°) and foiled/cranked it to 350°. That worked. Added potatoes and carrot/onion pack then with about an hour and a half to go.

Everything finished together with the roast at 205°... 5.5 hours total on the meat. The potatoes were a bit underdone but they cooked longer on the stove (mashed) while the meat rested. Made a gravy from the foiled juices. All together outstanding. Way better result than my first chuckie... it was fork tender and really juicy.