• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

th_4216989e.jpgThe story behind Tri Tip Beef (a.k.a. Triangle Roast): This cut of meat is limited in availability because there is only one per side of beef. Therefore it is typically ground into hamburger or cut into cubes and sold as soup meat. This often over looked piece of meat is not only relatively inexpensive but also very flavorful and has become a favorite amongst the few in the know. The tri-tip roast or steak (also called a triangle roast) is the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds of meat that sits at the bottom of the sirloin. It has great flavor and tends to be much lower in fat than most cuts of beef i.e., it's a good lean cut of beef.
The thing to remember is that lean also means it will dry out faster so it is recommended that you prepare with a good marinade &/or Rub. Particularly good flavors for tri-tip are Southwestern or Asian. Because tri-tip is lean, be careful not to overcook it, particularly when preparing the full roast. Medium is as far as you should go with this cut. Use a meat thermometer to monitor often during cooking. If you are used to grilling other cuts, this one can throw some grillers off by appearing underdone when it is ready to serve and by the amount it ‘swells’ when cooked.

Santa Maria/Grilled Soy Lime Style – This simple tri tip recipe utilizes a hybrid marinade that is loosely based on a combination of spices picked up from two different recipes.

Ingredients
 2-3 Lb. Tri-tip roast
 Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Seasoning Blends – Meat Magic

Seasoning Marinade:
 2 teaspoons freshly ground 4-color pepper
 1 teaspoon onion powder
 1 Tbls. Garlic powder
 2 Tbls. Sea Salt (fresh ground)
 1 ½ Cups Apple Juice (100% pure juice)
 ¼ Cup Soy Sauce (low sodium)
 2 ½ Tsp. Lime Juice
 1 Tbls. Red Pepper Flakes
 2 Tsp. Worcestershire sauce
 2 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
 ½ Tsp. Fresh Ground Ginger Root
 Optional: Corn Syrup or Honey (3 Tbls.)

Basting Sauce:
 ½ cup red wine vinegar
 ½ cup vegetable oil (or EVOO) (add garlic powder if you can’t find garlic infused oil) (Continued)

(Continued from Beef Tri-Tip)

Preparation and cooking
1. Mix together all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the tri tip in a 1 gallon freezer bag. Place in refrigerator for 4-8 hours turning occasionally.
2. Whisk basting sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside for basting.

3. Lightly oil your cooking grid and fire up BGE to T-Rex. Remove from Marinade and pat dry.
4. Rub each side with Paul Prudhomme’s Meat Magic then sear the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3-4 minutes per side.

NOTE: This recipe calls for Searing; it is NOT necessary and you can choose to start the cook indirect and get very similar results without searing (cooking time for indirect will increase slightly)

5. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. Optional: During this cool down period consider adding a few oak chunks to your lump.
6. Now set up BGE for Indirect cooking (plate setter) and return the tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees (approximately 35 minutes) for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes (optional).
7. Return the tri-tip back into the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees, basting every 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes; to serve cut into ½” slices against the grain.2

1 Paraphrased from Beef Tri-Tip, One of the best cuts you are probably not buying, By Derrick Riches, About.com Guide 2 this recipe is adapted loosely from Foodnetwork.com’s website; titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” with lots of input from the gang at EggHeadForum.com

Greetings and thanks for posting this! That looks like a tasty meal on your table there... I'd LOVE to try cooking a tri-tip but I have been unable to find them anywhere around here (Western NC). I'll snag one the first time I see it though. I'm also going to copy this post to the recipes section....

Thanks!

I've been making this cut for a while but I keep it really simple - Marinade the steak for about an hour in Port and Brown Sugar, and cook it like a steak with a slightly longer cooking time (I add cherry wood for some added flavor as well). It's usually not that much thicker than a thick steak, I'd say 1.5 / 2 inches thick in most cases.

I haven't tried this on the Kamado yet and I'm honestly a bit nervous about charring the outside too much, but I'm making it tonight and I might try to cook it around 400 and let the temp raise up at the end for a nice char.

This is my favorite cut by far I've tried it out with just salt and pepper also with uncle Chris rub and also with Angelo' beef rub. Angelo's beef rub is my favorite and the reverse sear method I believe produces a juicier meat. My local Costco's usually has tri tip.

Worked out great - very delicious and simple - I got a nice marbled piece of steak - this was just under 2lbs

20121205172649.jpg

Didn't take pics but I poured port (a decent but not expensive bottle) over top and added about 1/2 cup of brown sugar to the port and rubbed it all over the top of the steak...

Brought the Kamado up to about 400 degrees (using the internal thermometer, I don't have my maverick yet), threw on a bunch of soaked cherry wood chips, then cooked 4 minutes per side at 400.

Opened both vents fully after that and cooked for about 2 minutes per side until the button therm read rare. Temp went up to 550-600 during this time.

Let it rest for 5-10 minutes - came out very juicy and totally delicious - with a perfect amount of char.

20121205191655.jpg

20121205192127.jpg

20121205192206.jpg

Tri Tip is one of my favorite cuts of meat and I would love to cook one but the only place I have found them in my area is an exclusive butcher shop at $12 a pound. I refuse to pay that for Tri Tip.

Earl

If you happen to have a Trader Joe's in your neck of the woods, they sell them. They'll also sell them pre-marinated with the west coast style seasonings. I tried a regular one, and found it pretty good. I've not tried their marinated and seasoned one. I season my own meats, thank you. 

If you have a good relationship with your butcher, you can get almost anything within reason.

th_4216989e.jpgThe story behind Tri Tip Beef (a.k.a. Triangle Roast): This cut of meat is limited in availability because there is only one per side of beef. Therefore it is typically ground into hamburger or cut into cubes and sold as soup meat. This often over looked piece of meat is not only relatively inexpensive but also very flavorful and has become a favorite amongst the few in the know. The tri-tip roast or steak (also called a triangle roast) is the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds of meat that sits at the bottom of the sirloin. It has great flavor and tends to be much lower in fat than most cuts of beef i.e., it's a good lean cut of beef.

The thing to remember is that lean also means it will dry out faster so it is recommended that you prepare with a good marinade &/or Rub. Particularly good flavors for tri-tip are Southwestern or Asian. Because tri-tip is lean, be careful not to overcook it, particularly when preparing the full roast. Medium is as far as you should go with this cut. Use a meat thermometer to monitor often during cooking. If you are used to grilling other cuts, this one can throw some grillers off by appearing underdone when it is ready to serve and by the amount it ‘swells’ when cooked.

Santa Maria/Grilled Soy Lime Style – This simple tri tip recipe utilizes a hybrid marinade that is loosely based on a combination of spices picked up from two different recipes.

Ingredients

 2-3 Lb. Tri-tip roast

 Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Seasoning Blends – Meat Magic

Seasoning Marinade:

 2 teaspoons freshly ground 4-color pepper

 1 teaspoon onion powder

 1 Tbls. Garlic powder

 2 Tbls. Sea Salt (fresh ground)

 1 ½ Cups Apple Juice (100% pure juice)

 ¼ Cup Soy Sauce (low sodium)

 2 ½ Tsp. Lime Juice

 1 Tbls. Red Pepper Flakes

 2 Tsp. Worcestershire sauce

 2 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper

 ½ Tsp. Fresh Ground Ginger Root

 Optional: Corn Syrup or Honey (3 Tbls.)

Basting Sauce:

 ½ cup red wine vinegar

 ½ cup vegetable oil (or EVOO) (add garlic powder if you can’t find garlic infused oil) (Continued)

(Continued from Beef Tri-Tip)

Preparation and cooking

1. Mix together all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the tri tip in a 1 gallon freezer bag. Place in refrigerator for 4-8 hours turning occasionally.

2. Whisk basting sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside for basting.

3. Lightly oil your cooking grid and fire up BGE to T-Rex. Remove from Marinade and pat dry.

4. Rub each side with Paul Prudhomme’s Meat Magic then sear the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3-4 minutes per side.

NOTE: This recipe calls for Searing; it is NOT necessary and you can choose to start the cook indirect and get very similar results without searing (cooking time for indirect will increase slightly)

5. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. Optional: During this cool down period consider adding a few oak chunks to your lump.

6. Now set up BGE for Indirect cooking (plate setter) and return the tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees (approximately 35 minutes) for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes (optional).

7. Return the tri-tip back into the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees, basting every 5 to 10 minutes.

8. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes; to serve cut into ½” slices against the grain.2

1 Paraphrased from Beef Tri-Tip, One of the best cuts you are probably not buying, By Derrick Riches, About.com Guide 2 this recipe is adapted loosely from Foodnetwork.com’s website; titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” with lots of input from the gang at EggHeadForum.com

I used your recipe last night and I must say this is the best Tri-Tip I have ever had, This recipe is a KEEEEEEEPER for sure. Thanks thebtls

A sprinkle of kosher salt overnight and a dry rub works very well on this thick cut. I like the big bad beef rub at amazingribs site. I've been grilling these as long as I can remember. I smoke them at 250 with oak to 130, then sear.   This cut is number 185C in the NAMP book, 

just wanted to say that I used this recipe last night, and got rave reviews from our dinner guests. my wife said it was one of the best steaks she's ever had.