• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

It is a difficult cut to find, but worth looking for a trying at least once.

In the Dallas area where I live, I have had the best luck at Whole Food of all places.  It is a stock item for them, but they will order it for you if they are out.  It is also surprisingly not that expensive compared to most of the beef there.  

Can't wait to get my Joe and figure out a way to convert this recipe to grilling.  This is how I usually do it:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peppercorn-roast-beef/

Thanks again for all of the great advice here. 

- Went about 40 hours on a presalt. Left it uncovered in refrigerator coated in about 2 tsp of medium-ground sea salt. 

- Rubbed an hour before going on with a mix of toasted and fresh ground coriander, white pepper, garlic powder and a bit of sumac (has a nice lemony flavor)

- Cooked over hardwood and pecan chunks. 

- Grilled on the Akron (Kamado style cooker) reverse sear 230-270 steady climb for about 50 minutes to get to 120. Pulled and foiled for 10 minutes. Opened the vents and let the temp climb above 500. It got so hot the gauge on my Maverick thermo read HHH and couldn't take a reading. And the cable end connected to the metal started to melt a little bit. Uh oh. After closing vents slightly at the end to sear some corn, the temp dropped to about 560. So I think the high temp was 600. 

- Pulled the meat at 135 and let it sit for about 15 min. Temp climbed to about 144. Sliced thin across the grain and drizzled about 1/4 cup of juice back over the meat before serving. 

- Overall, the tri-tip was fantastic. Juicy. And the rub made for a very nice crust. We were too eager and didn't get a pic of the cut - but attached is a leftover pic from today. You can see the nice smoke ring. Served with a little cilantro chimichurri. 

Superb overall and there were hardly any leftovers. But next time I think I will pull at 115 and 130 respectively. The large pieces were a nice medium but I lost the medium rare. Still great, but....

I just got my Akorn Kamado a couple days ago as an early Christmas gift from my wife. I've been wanting one for a few years.

I picked up 2 nice tri tip roasts at the local meat market today and will try them out tomorrow. I'm nervous and excited.

How was it? Hard to believe the tri tip is hard to find across the country. Always readily available here in northern California. It is a very good and quick cooking roast, no more than an hour. It takes longer to bring the cooker up to temp and start producing blue smoke. Overnight dry brine of kosher salt and your favorite rub, cooked to 135- delicious! You know, tri tip slow cooked to 195F also makes very good pulled beef. 

So my wife found a Morton's of Omaha Steakhouse Classic, 3 lbs, Tri-Tip at Costco.

She says "is this what you were looking for?". She was only following my request too look for tri-tip.

Looking at it I see it's: pre-marinated with Burgundy wine powder, and a bunch of other stuff. Hey.  Gluten Free. LOL.

Mechanically tenderized. Yikes.

I'll give it a go.The package says for grilling: 400-450, to internal 145, turning all sides to brown evenly.

I think I'll reverse sear it.

This is a hoot! I guess Mortons found a way to market and sell at a Costco-tri-tip.