Sign in to follow this  
Mini egghead

Does anyone the know the history on the Kinuura Yaki Kamado?

I have spoken with Augie Longo myself he knows kamados.  http://www.kamadobbq.com/History---Restoration.html

I have an  old #4, has "made in Japan" stamped into the hinges. Mine was a barn find and is superior to the POS bayou classic I picked up because it was bigger. You can find the original manual and parts on the posted link. 

I have spoken with Augie Longo myself he knows kamados.  http://www.kamadobbq.com/History---Restoration.html

I have an  old #4, has "made in Japan" stamped into the hinges. Mine was a barn find and is superior to the POS bayou classic I picked up because it was bigger. You can find the original manual and parts on the posted link.

Been cooking with a 45 year old Imperial Kamado #4 myself for a little over a year. This thing rocks! I bought from a retired USAF officer that claimed he brought it back when returning from Viet Nam. Still have the original paper work too! Best $100 I ever spent on a grill!

Recently found major cracks in my firebox. When I went to inspect, it basically went into six pieces. I contacted kamadobbq.com and ordered a replacement. It arrived in perfect condition, but was slightly too large at the top. After about 15 min of very gentle angle grinder application, I am back in business.

Ok, so after the new firebox, still the best $250 I ever spent for outdoor cooking. Getting kind of psyched to do some restoration and maybe even pretty it up some.

I have spoken with Augie Longo myself he knows kamados. http://www.kamadobbq.com/History---Restoration.html

I have an old #4, has "made in Japan" stamped into the hinges. Mine was a barn find and is superior to the POS bayou classic I picked up because it was bigger. You can find the original manual and parts on the posted link.

Been cooking with a 45 year old Imperial Kamado #4 myself for a little over a year. This thing rocks! I bought from a retired USAF officer that claimed he brought it back when returning from Viet Nam. Still have the original paper work too! Best $100 I ever spent on a grill!

Recently found major cracks in my firebox. When I went to inspect, it basically went into six pieces. I contacted kamadobbq.com and ordered a replacement. It arrived in perfect condition, but was slightly too large at the top. After about 15 min of very gentle angle grinder application, I am back in business.

Ok, so after the new firebox, still the best $250 I ever spent for outdoor cooking. Getting kind of psyched to do some restoration and maybe even pretty it up some.

That is totally kewl - let's see a picture - we want to see.

I made copies of all the pages that I could along with some links from the original Imperial Kamado website based out of Carson CA. before the domain expired.

I had been a fan of them since I was a kid in Seattle and a neighbor brought a claypot back from Japan when he was stationed there during the Viet Nam war (late 1960's). He was a backyard griller and everything he cooked seemed to taste better than my dads attempts at grilling!  Back then they were sold in the Seattle area by Pachinko Palace that ran ads every Thursday in the Times and PI newspapers along with pots and Pachinko machines. Pirates Plunder and Uwajimaya's were also places that I recall selling them. I kind  of married into them as well, my BIL got one for a wedding present and inherited another from his FIL.

My first Imperial Kamado was a garage sale acquisition @ 23 years ago. It was the Large Modern Style pot and the metal slide draft door was rusted beyond use. It had the trolley and a extra fire ring and clay grate. It had originally been green, but the paint had degraded down to the orange finish. At the time I wasn't really into BBQ'n and I used it as a grill.

Around 2006, I attended a BBQ Competition at Magnuson Park in Seattle, and there as a team cooking on a huge Klose pit and a couple Big Green Eggs. I overheard some guys saying "that's Dr BBQ", well I didn't know who the hell that was, but I kinda slunk around their pits and finally told the guy that I had a cooker similar and needed help with it. Ray Lampe graciously took the time to show me how to regulate the draft and sent me on my way with some BGE swag. I read the next day that Bonesmokers BBQ had won GC at the event and the team was comprised of Jim Minion, Ray Lampe aka Dr BBQ and Chris Lilly!!

I got inspired to refurbish it and used BGE parts to get it done. Not long after I acquired my first Large Big Green Egg and by then I was hooked into this hobby.

If you go to the Naked Whiz site and download any of the old Pachinko Palace Kamado Manuals there is info on pot sizes, cooking instructions etc.