Question for those who make Pizzas on the Kamado

Flypops

I've read quite a few posts regarding pizza making on the Kamado's and it seems like a lot of folks are having issues with the bottom of the pies burning. I like a nice leoparding on my bottoms, a little bit of char adds tremendous flavor. I've not yet made a pizza on the Kamado and will have my first attempt this weekend, however I've been making pizza's in the oven and on my grill for many years, using a good stone (Fibrament) and I can't recall ever having a black bottom, as many have reported.

So it got me wondering. How many of you guys make up your own dough and if you do are you adding sugar?

I make a simple dough using only the four basic ingredients (water, flour, sea salt and yeast) and do a 2-3 day cold proof. No sugar in the dough, ever!

Obviously if you are buying premade dough you likely don't know what the sugar content may be so that would be out of your control.

So maybe you guys/gals could chime in regarding your dough recipes. It could be enlightening.

Actually for me the secret wasnt in the dough (although a high sugar content will burn), it was in raising the pizza stone in the dome.  I had some burnt bottoms before I switched to this method and now I have no issues cooking pies at 650F.  

post-6823-0-19508500-1423775340_thumb.jp post-6823-0-37817000-1423775356_thumb.jp post-6823-0-65290400-1423775368_thumb.jp

My pizza stone was too large when I raised it, so I use it as a deflector and my deflectors are now my stone when making pizza.

I know this isn't really answering your question about dough, but its what worked for me and allowed a nice crust without having to mod a tried and tested dough recipe.

Yeah, I agree, set up is the key. When the pizza is set low on the main grate it gets less reflected heat from the dome to heat and melt the toppings, thus it takes longer. That extra time leads to a burned bottom crust and is increased in possibility with the addition of sugar to the dough mixture. Using two stones one on top of the other  if the pizza is set low or separated by several inches if the pizza is set high in the dome seems to be the key to a nice toasted bottom crust and perfectly melted cheese and heated through toppings. My set up is similar to Rak's . I make my own dough and sauce. I am currently playing with a tomato sauce with ouzo, oregano, fennel seed, and citrus juice. Best of luck with your kamado pizza.

post-3401-0-99412800-1423776494_thumb.jp

post-3401-0-39192600-1423776508_thumb.jp

Sterno - My dough ingredients are the same as yours, except I put in a touch of sugar as a way to feed the yeast more. I find it helps develop more of a "fermented" flavor over a long rise. I had a problem with crust scorching on my first kamado pizza cook, but it was because I didn't use a deflector. Now I use a deflector system similar to the posts above and have had no scorching problems.

Okay, so I have the Vision with the dual (elevated) grate. I plan to use that with my Fibrement stone on the top grate, nothing on the bottom grate. I have the aluminum protective metal pan (which I guess you guys would call the deflector), that the stone will sit in.

I currently bake my pizzas on a gas grill using the above mentioned aluminum pan and stone. My stone temps reach about 630 F. (digital IR Thermo) after a pre-heat of about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on ambient temps. I get good results, cook wise with about a 5 minute bake, top and bottom are equally done in my opinion. The problem is that the stone will lose a good amount of heat after the first bake so that subsequent bakes take progressively longer. By the time I'm on my third pie it could be 8-10 minutes, or more if it's chilly out (>50 deg. :) ).

What I am hoping for is a good bake with a more wood-burning flavor.

I'll report back after my 1st attempt.

Thanks guys.

The problem is that the stone will lose a good amount of heat after the first bake so that subsequent bakes take progressively longer. By the time I'm on my third pie it could be 8-10 minutes, or more if it's chilly out (>50 deg. :) ).

Sounds like your are a candidate for a Blackstone Pizza Oven.

I put just a bit of sugar in my dough to feed the yeast and get it started. Unlike some here I don't have/use an elevated platform for my cooker. I simply double up the stones by putting my grill grate at the highest level, then putting my deflector stones on it, topped by my pizza stone. I cook at 550-600 and have no problems with burning. Actually the last time I cooked, I let the temp get away from me a bit where it got to 750 and I still didn't have any burnt crust.

Okay, so I have the Vision with the dual (elevated) grate. I plan to use that with my Fibrement stone on the top grate, nothing on the bottom grate. I have the aluminum protective metal pan (which I guess you guys would call the deflector), that the stone will sit in.

I currently bake my pizzas on a gas grill using the above mentioned aluminum pan and stone. My stone temps reach about 630 F. (digital IR Thermo) after a pre-heat of about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on ambient temps. I get good results, cook wise with about a 5 minute bake, top and bottom are equally done in my opinion. The problem is that the stone will lose a good amount of heat after the first bake so that subsequent bakes take progressively longer. By the time I'm on my third pie it could be 8-10 minutes, or more if it's chilly out (>50 deg. :) ).

What I am hoping for is a good bake with a more wood-burning flavor.

I'll report back after my 1st attempt.

Thanks guys.

I can go back to back pizza cooks without worrying about the stone loosing too much heat. I suspect the thermal mass of the kamado helps. We could also be making very different pies.

With regard to smoke flavor, @>600 F your smoky flavor is not coming from the fuel source, it is coming from the slightly charred crust.

Good luck and report back.

I have had some great results on the Joe with just the x- rack heat deflectors and stone on top I like to coat my dough in a bit of oil and a sprinkle of polenta cornmeal gives it a nice crispy crust I also put on the dough for a couple of minutes to give it a seal .I think the most important thing is time I always have a look a couple of minutes before just to make sure

No sugar in my doughs usually except for a little molasses from time to time for flavor. I occasionally get black bottoms but have been minimizing it by cooking at lower temps (500 vs 600). I have not used my grate expander yet to lift my dough higher like others have but I may try that.

Okay fellas, beginning with the sauce now. We'll be making 3 pizzas tonight. Two traditional and one dessert.

1. Pepperoni, Black Olives, Pepperoncini, Garlic

2. Hot Italian Sausage with Bacon (the bacon is ground in the sausage and this stuff is bomb), Mushrooms and lots of minced Garlic in EVOO.

3. Fresh Strawberry with Cream Cheese and Melted Chocolate drizzled over top. (It's Valentines Day!)

I think I will put a few bricks on the grate to elevate my stone even more. We'll see how it goes and I will report back, hopefully with some good photos.