Rosemary & Thyme Smoked Italian Meatballs

John Setzler

Here's a great recipe for some fantastic smoked Italian Meatballs using fresh Rosemary and Thyme for the smoke.  

Recipe: Rosemary & Thyme Smoked Italian Meatballs

Ingredients:

1lb ground beef (85/15)
3/4 pound mild bulk Italian Sausage
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried italian seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup milk

Mix all the ingredients except for the meat in a large mixing bowl.  Add the meat in small amounts and mix in with the seasonings mixture until all the meat is incorporated and mixed thoroughly.

Divide into 16 equal amounts and form into meatballs.  Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least two hours or as long as overnight.

Preheat your grill to 250-275 degrees and set up for indirect cooking.  

Make a foil pouch and put in several springs of fresh rosemary and thyme.  Poke two small holes in the pouch.  Just before placing the meatballs on the grill, put the foil pouch over the coals to produce smoke for this cook.  You can use other smoke sources if you like!

Place the meatballs in the center of the grill over indirect heat for approximately one hour or until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees.  Remove from the grill and serve!  You may also refrigerate or freeze leftovers and reheat them later!

Looks delish! I bet those herbs put it over the top!

Using the rosemary and thyme for smoke did produce a really unique flavor and aroma on this cook.  I'm going to experiment with that more in the future...

I've roasted Leg of Lamb using a Weber kettle while adding smoke from rosemary and thyme - highly recommended ! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a great recipe for some fantastic smoked Italian Meatballs using fresh Rosemary and Thyme for the smoke.  

Recipe: Rosemary & Thyme Smoked Italian Meatballs

Ingredients:

1lb ground beef (85/15)
3/4 pound mild bulk Italian Sausage
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup milk

Mix all the ingredients except for the meat in a large mixing bowl.  Add the meat in small amounts and mix in with the seasonings mixture until all the meat is incorporated and mixed thoroughly.

Divide into 16 equal amounts and form into meatballs.  Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least two hours or as long as overnight.

Preheat your grill to 250-275 degrees and set up for indirect cooking.  

Make a foil pouch and put in several springs of fresh rosemary and thyme.  Poke two small holes in the pouch.  Just before placing the meatballs on the grill, put the foil pouch over the coals to produce smoke for this cook.  You can use other smoke sources if you like!

Place the meatballs in the center of the grill over indirect heat for approximately one hour or until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees.  Remove from the grill and serve!  You may also refrigerate or freeze leftovers and reheat them later!

One thing I noticed. In the video you added 1 tsp of dried Italian seasonings to the meatballs. That is not listed in the ingredients in post #1.

Funny I was following the recipe but told Mrs skreef I was adding a little extra fresh grated dried Italian seasonings (just thought the meatballs needed it). Then I watched the video and glad I did that on my own.

Just thought I would mention it so you could edit post #1 in case people are following the recipe and not really paying attention to the video.