John's Tri Tip with Whisky Sauce for Valentine's Dinner

Ross

I called my wife from work this morning and asked her if there was anything special she would like this evening. She said, just bring home some beef. In my best Austin Power's, I said, "Yeeeeah, baby!"

0ab1b1b6ad3bbb9bb2058557af27b70e.jpg

So, I picked up a Tri tip, as I've been wanting to try John's whiskey sauce recipe. (http://www.kamadoguru.com/index.php?/topic/11531-Smoked-Tri-Tip-Roast-with-Whiskey-Sauce) I came across something new I also wanted to try. It is Harris Ranch Special Grilling Blend all purpose rub. Harris Ranch is one of California's largest all natural, independently owned beef ranches, which includes their cattle operation, a chain of restaurants, and retail sales to stores throughout the state. Their products can be found at http://www.harrisranch.com/.

1506ae74c1554de45c1b1cc403725b98.jpg

I'm afraid I didn't get a whole lot of pics, but it came out excellent. I cooked it at 250° indirect, along with some skillet potatoes and sautéed onions. I cooked it to an internal temp of about 115°-125°, then seared it for a minute on each side, turning it four times, for a totals sear time of 4 minutes. A couple things of note, I cooked it to medium, as that's the way SWIMBO likes it. If cooking for myself, I think an internal temp of 110° is plenty, and I would reduce the sear to 30 seconds per side X 4. You just don't realize how much the meat cooks on a high heat sear on a Kamado. It's a lot more than you think.

I've cooked a lot of tri tips, and this goes down as one of the tastiest!

554622bda7e7ae3ad60e4faa309f2972.jpg

6c720bd4c1b558708c25e80a0df89927.jpg

Reduced the Whiskey sauce and poured it over the sliced meat.

f98a796b089a01829a289b5af72e6c58.jpg

d937327bc7396bdff3c55f6b8edb41a3.jpg

Just meat and potatoes., with sautéed onions.... A man's meal, indeed!

b0f4f11a553e1c2d95448c960fca256a.jpg

Just had to go back for seconds!

Great looking cook!! I wish tri tips were available around here. Most places don't even know what you are talking about when you ask abut tri tip. I have one place that said they could get me one but the cost per pound was stupid. I could get fillet for what they wanted for tri tip. 

post-11-14240105266175_thumb.jpg

I've got this old bamboo salad bowl that my wife never really uses for salad anymore, as she generally goes to a smaller glass bowl. It has kind of become my go to "meat-resting", serving container. I like it because after resting the meat, it collects all the juices on the bottom, which I'm easily able to pour right into the reduced whisky sauce. It's unorthodox, but it's really become my go-to server for meats and chickens and the like.

very nice!!

That looks so tasty well done

Wow I would tear that meal up! Great job!

That looks outrageously good Ross.

Great looking cook!! I wish tri tips were available around here. Most places don't even know what you are talking about when you ask abut tri tip. I have one place that said they could get me one but the cost per pound was stupid. I could get fillet for what they wanted for tri tip.

That looks great. Well done.

Thanks, Y'all. And hope you all had an enjoyable Valentine's Day with your loved ones.

Looks great! And what did you (and your wife) think of the whiskey sauce? My wife loved it, said she wants me to make it by the gallon so she always has it around. :)

I really liked it, and would make it again. My wife wouldn't admit it, as she was just appreciated the nice home-cooked meal, but I think she thought it was a little strong. She made a traditional au jus sauce, as she didn't know what the whisky sauce was for, and she seemed to go more for the au jus, than the whisky sauce. I used JD instead of Makers, and I might have put a little much in it, but I let it reduce by nearly half, so I figured the alcohol was burned off. Maybe it still had a small amount. At any rate, I'd use it again.

Looks great! And what did you (and your wife) think of the whiskey sauce? My wife loved it, said she wants me to make it by the gallon so she always has it around. :)

I really liked it, and would make it again. My wife wouldn't admit it, as she was just appreciated the nice home-cooked meal, but I think she thought it was a little strong. She made a traditional au jus sauce, as she didn't know what the whisky sauce was for, and she seemed to go more for the au jus, than the whisky sauce. I used JD instead of Makers, and I might have put a little much in it, but I let it reduce by nearly half, so I figured the alcohol was burned off. Maybe it still had a small amount. At any rate, I'd use it again.

As you know Jack Daniels is a hugely different whiskey than Makers Mark. Jack Daniels has a very bold sour mash (almost charcoal) taste.

I am not fond of Jack Daniels at all. Won't drink it, won't cook with it. Next time try it with Makers Mark your wife might like it better.