Will this work as a diffuser for smoking/pizza cooks?

Money's tight, but I still want to be able to grill. I picked up a pizza stone from Lowe's that ended up cracking when I used it at low heat one time.

My wife is at Walmart and found the below pizza pan for 8 bucks. I've seen people suggest these things, but wanted to check and see if it would work. My fear is that at 16 inches it would trap too much heat causing some damage or not let enough through, but the "Smoking Stone" for $40 appears to be the same size.

Primarily I'll be using it at low heat on the bottom rack where the Smoking Stone goes and on the top grate for pizza's, per someone's suggestion I read.

Will it work? Or any other suggestions for something low cost.

XaEC9B0.jpg

I have read folks using these and are happy with them. The pictures I've seen though are the cheaper non deep pan. From what I hear they work as a deflector but the benefit of the Akorn smoking stone is it helps control the temps better. I heard you say that money is tight. I totaly understand so you have a couple choices to also consider.

1. Save a couple bucks a months and next Christmas maybe the wife will be able to get you an Akorn smoking stone.

2. Find an old Weber grill that someone is pitching this summer and get the grid and use it at the smoking stone tab level.

3. With the grid in place go to HD or Lowes and get a couple tiles or paving stones and wrap them in aluminum foil (in case they break they will stay in one piece).

This should help control temps.

I have an Akorn and I use a weber charcoal grate that's 16 inchs and I have a 14 pizza pan like you have there. I'll also put a drip of aluminum foil down the middle of the grate to help with the heat.

Thanks for sharing. What she found was 16 inches, I'm thinking 14 may be better.

I have read folks using these and are happy with them. The pictures I've seen though are the cheaper non deep pan. From what I hear they work as a deflector but the benefit of the Akorn smoking stone is it helps control the temps better. I heard you say that money is tight. I totaly understand so you have a couple choices to also consider.

1. Save a couple bucks a months and next Christmas maybe the wife will be able to get you an Akorn smoking stone.

2. Find an old Weber grill that someone is pitching this summer and get the grid and use it at the smoking stone tab level.

3. With the grid in place go to HD or Lowes and get a couple tiles or paving stones and wrap them in aluminum foil (in case they break they will stay in one piece).

This should help control temps.

I actually have the grid from an old Weber grill I had sitting at the smoking stone level. I was going to place whatever she got on top of it. Sorry if I wasn't clear, should have mentioned that. Excellent idea about the paving stones. I might have some old ones in the garage. Never thought to use them like that.

I have an Akorn and I use a weber charcoal grate that's 16 inchs and I have a 14 pizza pan like you have there. I'll also put a drip of aluminum foil down the middle of the grate to help with the heat.

This is what I did on my old Akorn.  Put a cheap 13" aluminum pizza pan on the weber fire grate and cooked the pizza either in a regular pizza pan, on a stone (until I gave up replacing them), or directly on the top grate.

That's awfully creative. Love it!! I have a ton of of old sand I used for an aquarium in the past.

After a good rinse put that sand in the pan and heat to 300 for an hour or more with NO food in the kamado. That way you make sure that you have no funky smells and that the sand is pretty well sanitized.

Haven't read all the replies but that's what I've been using for a year. It's about had it and rusting out but I gave it ZERO TLC in that year. Rarely wrapped in foil and left hot wet and diirty many many times. That plus cooking over moderately high heat bunches of times likelyshortened its life. Works great and lasts plenty long for $8.

With those handles on the side, it's probably going to be too big to fit. I think less is more - a 12" pan will do the job fine. I would also get one that doesn't have a nonstick coating, which will just burn off in the grill.

Thanks all for the replies. It's been a great help. I had my wife buy the 16 inch pan and I tested it out. It's going back. It's a bit too big to sit where I wanted it to and it doesn't allow all that much air around it where it does sit. I'm concerned about it keeping too much heat down, but maybe that's just me being extra cautious. Overall, not a good place. She will go to Walmart tomorrow to see if we can't find a smaller size - maybe 12 or 14 inch like suggested - to see if fits better. If that fails, I really liked the idea of the cake try with sand and paving stones. 

I really appreciate all the tips here. Though the smoking stone may ultimately be best for the job, it just goes to show that this can be done and done well on a budget. I'll update with pics of what I end up going with and thoughts of it after the first cook is done with it (hopefully this weekend). Even if it doesn't last long, at a few bucks each time it's certainly not a bad deal.

In other news, I used the remains of an Amazon gift card the other day to purchase the ET-733. It seemed like a worthwhile investment that will hopefully serve me for a few years.