New Big Joe Owner

Eborgp

Not only am I a first time Big Joe owner, this is my first lump/ceramic grill. Bought it at Costco in Columbus, OH Sunday after three 4 hour round trips due to the shipment not showing up on Friday or Saturday? I think the Costco management and my wife think I am crazy for not only driving in three times but also due to the 27 phone calls I placed Friday and Saturday. This was the first time I was able to find one, non of the local (within a four hour drive) have any to even look at. Decided on the Joe after two years of reading reviews on all brands.

I plan to light the Big Joe up Saturday for the first time. Now the question is: What to cook? Ribs or Brisket? Also how to cook, temp, prep, time?

Other questions: Where can I get the Pizza Stone for the Big Joe? Do I need any other accessories? Also, did they ever realease the rotisserie I read about a couple month ago.

Eborgp - Welcome aboard Kamado Guru and welcome to The Addiction. You're going to absolutely love that Bog Joe. Your food will taste amazingly fresh and moist. Congrats on finally getting that Big Boy home. Jump on in and join the conversation. We love seeing pics of cooks.

As for the first cook, I'd do NY Strips. Steak is always a nice start to a new relationship. Wait until you know your Big Joe a little better to tackle something like ribs or brisket. Just crank that KJ up and sear those steaks. It's easy and even I can't screw it up!

Once again, Welcome!

I rely on my dome therm.  Grill temp is always a bit hotter but not enough for me to worry.  Your big joe will lock in on temps and I don't think that a digital therm with remote is needed with a good kamado.  I do believe that you should have a good instant read therm like a thermapen or thermapop from thermoworks.  They are the best in the market!!!

Sorry if I am asking to many questions, I know no one that has anything like this.

That's what we here for ask away, most use a instant read or a thermometer with probes, I don't know much about KJ's but check your dome thermometer using water boil test

Congratulations on your new Big Joe and welcome to the world of kamado cooking!

What is a good thermometer (ambient and meat? ) How reliable is the dome thermometer.

The Maverick ET-732 is a good one.  It has probes for both the grill and meat and is very popular in the BBQ world.  As far as the dome thermometer, I find that once temperature is stabilized in my Big Joe, the dome thermometer is usually within a few degrees of my ET-732.  As Cajun Ty said, it doesn't hurt to check it by immersing the tip in boiling water and confirming that it's reading correctly.  In addition, it's a must to have a quick-read thermometer, as Bosco said.  The ThermoPen seems to pretty much be the "gold standard", but I have a ThermoPop which is much less expensive and works very well.

There are a lot of great recipes here, as well as people who document their cooks with photos and commentary explaining how they cooked it.  For a lot of good information about how to cook different kinds of meat (and lots of other things), another great resource is amazingribs.com.  Although some of Meathead's information about kamados is outdated and some of it is outright incorrect, his site is a wonderful resource for recipes, instructions and information.  He has detailed cooking instructions for ribs and brisket (along with a lot of other meats!), and if you follow his instructions it's almost impossible to turn out a bad cook.

Regarding the JOEtiesserie, my understanding is that they're still testing it and hopeful to release it some time this year.

Enjoy your Big Joe!  Like most of us have, I'm sure you'll be amazed at how solidly (and for how long) it will hold a temperature, and how moist and tender your food turns out.

Welcome to Kamado cooking you will love it and never look back it's an addiction that will last a life time.....just be careful, KJ's tend to like company and will multiply on your deck or patio as the addiction grows .... just ask Bosco :-)