Sign in to follow this  
ske1eter

smoked onion on the Jr.

I was trying to figure out what to cook up today as I did BBQ style pizza yesterday with some pulled pork. So it seemed time for a smoked onion. I don't have any of the cheese that John used so I might put on parmesan cheese instead plus I didn't have whiskey for the baste so I used a milk stout.

post-3989-0-42398900-1425244886_thumb.jp

The results turned out pretty but I am disappointed with the taste. Maybe it was because the onion was too "tight" and the baste didn't get into it. The normal raw onion bite was gone but there was no caramelization flavor that might be reminiscent of french onion soup that John referenced. I wonder how it might work with a higher temp and something a bit more "sugary" in the basting liquid.

post-3989-0-52654700-1425253401_thumb.jp

It looks great!  Half the fun is the learning curve, now you have a reason to try this again and no doubt the redemption cook will be fantastic!

The results turned out pretty but I am disappointed with the taste. Maybe it was because the onion was too "tight" and the baste didn't get into it. The normal raw onion bite was gone but there was no caramelization flavor that might be reminiscent of french onion soup that John referenced. I wonder how it might work with a higher temp and something a bit more "sugary" in the basting liquid.

attachicon.gifonion.jpg

Sadly, I had a similar experience with mine tonight.  I still enjoyed it, but I might score the onion inside on the next try.  I might even try marinating it in the liquid for a few hours.

Bacon is a sure winner on the onions. The smoked onion is certainly something worth cooking and eating.  Yours looks good! 

Here are two slightly different takes you might enjoy.

IMG_20140209_195352_178_zpsfbfjivz7.jpg

IMG_20140209_193843_045_zps6qwfxyc3.jpg

More details here: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/9089-blossom-onion-porterhouse-and-steak-taters/#entry93414