• Similar Content

• By bosco
      I wanted to pay respect to my Buffalo Sabres and the City that I love like my home town.... The place where the Wing was created!!!

I also wanted to create my entry for the Appetizer Challenge for June.  

I created an idea in my head and had to go find the accessories to complete this cook.  

I needed shot glasses!!

Without further a due.... I present Buffalo Shots

I did two batches of wings.  First ones are dusted with plowboys yardbird.  I love grilled wings.  But I also wanted to have a true fried wing experience.  I thought about frying some with cast, or using bacon slices over top of wings to create enough grease to fry them......  Thinking thinking thinking.......

Then a light bulb went off.  Thought of my old atkins days and my love for pork rinds.  I googled wings and pork rinds and some people have done it before.  So I figured why not.  I took a bag of pork rinds, ground them down in the vitamix, mixed and egg and some milk and battered the other half of my wings.  Also added some rub to the breading.

Set the big Joe up for indirect heat, 375 cook.  Onto the grill they go for 20 minutes each side.  40 min. cook in total

Prepared 6 shot glasses with blue cheese, and then a layer of franks wing sauce and added a sprig of celery and carrot

Alright onto my final shot.  I topped each shot glass with a wing.  I did all drums, three of each type that I made

The breaded wings were super crispy and tasted like they had been fried.  My kids loved them and they tasted so good. I can't wait to do this again.  I think the grease from the pork rind partially fried them.  Such a cool idea.  I would like to say I created the idea but someone else must have beat me to it.  I did come up with it in my head but man!!!!!!  So good!

So bosco's June challenge is in the books.... thanks for looking!!
    • By Addertooth
      Beef Braised Ribs in a red wine reduction sauce was calling my name for dinner tonight.
      A few pounds of beef short ribs were at a good price at the store and were grabbed before
      they disappeared.  Some "Cabernet Merlot" wine was also at a low price, so the deal was
      set.  The Big Joe was cleaned out and filled with fresh lump charcoal in preparation of
      the cook.  The X-Rack was put in the lowest position to get the KJ Cast Iron pot close to
      the coals.  The lid was left open and a couple tablespoons of canola oil was added to the
      pot.  When the pot got searing hot the short ribs were tossed in for searing.  As one face
      of the ribs finished searing, they were rotated to put a new face down to the hot cast Iron.
      When seared on all sides, the ribs were pulled out and set to the side. 
      With the juices from the ribs left in the pot, carrots, diced onion and chopped celery
      was added to the pot and stirred until the onion was golden.  A tablespoon of flour was
      added into the pot and mixed with the contents.  Then a couple tablespoons of tomato paste
      was added and mixed in.  Finally 750 ml of the wine was added to the pot and mixed completely. 
      The pot was left to simmer until the wine had reduced to about half its initial volume.
      Fresh Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, salt and black pepper were added to the reduced sauce.
      The seared ribs were added to the hot mix to begin the braising, along with a cup of
      "Best Brown Sauce" for more beefy goodness. Link below:
      http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/16717-french-mother-sauce-brown-sauce/?hl=%2Bbrown+%2Bsauce
      The lid was put on the pot at this time.
      The ribs were allowed to braise for 2.5 hours which is when they were falling off the bone tender. 
      The ribs were pulled out of the pot and set aside to rest.  The vegetables were strained
      out of the drippings with the reduced wine, and a roux was made. The roux was expanded with beef
      broth, half and half and seasoned with salt and pepper. 
      Mash potatoes were made with salt, pepper, butter and cream cheese.  The gravy was ladled
      over the potatoes and served with the beef short ribs.

• By bosco
      well home made pizza sauce, dough and some creativity and I came up with the following.  One son is dairy free and the other extremely picky lol!!!!  Anyways, got the big joe up to 575-600 for this cook.  Deflectors on top of the grill, copper T fittings, then the pizza stone on top like I always do. 

Haven't done pizza in a while but man this one turned out.  I mean it TURNED OUT!!!!  Crispy crust and puffy.  No more thin crust for this cat.... these pies were killer.

One was just sauce and pepperoni and the other pepperoni and cheese.  

For Mrs. bosco and I, calzones with cheese, green olive, hot pepper, sundried tomato, mushrooms and pepperoni.  I made 2 but we split one as they were too BIG.

Ok now for the star attraction..... My chicken wangs!!!!!  I hit these bad boys up with some of the best seasoning that I have had in a very long time.  Caribeque is the real deal folks!!! I tried the mild calypso as the boys were going to be eating these wings.  The aroma was intense and the flavour was off the hook.  This is honestly one of the first commercial rubs that I have tried where I don't feel like I am eating a ton of salt.  This stuff is packed.... I mean PACKED with flavour!!!!!  I can't wait to give the Island thyme and HOT calypso some love.  Maybe tomorrow with some chicken breasts.  This will be a repeat order for me over and over!!!

Cooked the wings on the classic indirect at 350 like always.  Everything turned out great... had the day off and spent it by the pool relaxing and cooking

• By Dub
      Couldn't believe how nice the weather was today.

Some great tunes from a Canadian band that I've enjoyed for the last 30 years....were enjoyed during this cook.

Try as I might, I can't give up my Diet Dews.   Love this stuff.

Picked up some wings & pack of boneless breasts on sale today.
        Got 'em home and put mixed up a batch of Mad Hunky poultry brine for the yardbird parts. Into the fridge for 5 hours.   That brine smells great when the stuff comes out of it.         I really like this JoeBlow lighter.....you can get your lump burning, toss on the heat deflectors and grate.....and get your dome shut in under 3 minutes.....if you take your time.   Three minutes.   3.    No need to wait around for some lighter tablet to burn off.  Three minutes and dome down with the vents doing their job to direct air flow.   Quick warm up times are nice.     The BigJoe was ready to go before I had everything rubbed down.           Hit it all with a layer of The Slabs & another layer of the Pecan Rub.  Great sweet, a little savory and some smallish heat at the end.    This is the family's favorite rub on chicken.  I'm still big on Mad Hunky Wing Rub....but I surely see their point about this pair.               Wings getting there.  Gotta babysit them with this particular rub combo though....lotta sugar that can scorch.         Breasts getting close, too.         Done !           That boneless is gong to make some great salads over the weekend.     Finished up this bottle of this goodness over the top of some asparagus....and a little Don's to steam up inside the wrap.   I couldn't wait for it to come off the grill to try it.  Oh yeah....got a winner right there.  Wife loved it, too.                 There's something else that cooks really, really.....really well at the same temp as wangs.....and the peach wood had already burned through so it was just a nice clean lump burn......                         Kamado Kookies !!!      
    • By Dub
      Son came busting into the den late this morning in a state of near panic.

Seems he'd overslept and was having to scramble to get ready for a date......but was equally concerned about getting some grub.  Funny little guy.

Asked him if he had time for fast burgers and hot dogs and got the thumbs up if I started right away.

KJ fire starter to the rescue......left the top & bottom vents fully open and closed the dome after tossing on my GrillGrates.  By the time I"d made some superfast burgers & seasoned them with KJ seasonings the grill was more than ready.

That Chow-Chow is my favorite hot dog topper and it's great on other stuff, too.

The BigJoe came through in a pinch.   It is impressive how fast it was warmed up and ready to cook for this cook.  I don't believe I'd have been able to pull off a faster meal on my old gasser.

Nothing really special......just some really basic weekend eats, but we love 'em and it was too easy.  

He made it out the door with 20 minutes to spare.  Young lad has learned to never keep a lady waiting.  He'll do well to remember this rule throughout his life.