Kamado Guru in Hawaii Spring 2017

philpom

• 1 month later...

We are at just about a year away and I think it's time to start talking about timing.  

I'll start this off by tossing some ideas out there....

Let's stay away from the official "spring break" window.  I know for sure that it can double the price easily.

A very quick search tells me I can get round trip air from DFW for 2 adults right now at about $800 - these are not non-stop but based on my last trip I DO want a stop in California, 9 hours in a plane is too long.

That's pretty cheap so we should consider setting reservations in the next 3 months.   I'm also going to suggest we stay away from resorts and look at condos since we'll get more bang for the buck.  Who needs a pool when you have perfect beach?

The only minor thing I need to take care of - child care for 3....  Finally just last month I got Mrs philpom to buy in to the whole idea - see, persistence pays off!  I knew she would.  

I'm going to run into problems getting Tonya off work on times that are not part of the spring break schedule unfortunately.  She works at a college and I'd probably have to get part of her time off for a trip like this during whatever her spring break time is...

• 6 months later...

I'm going to run into problems getting Tonya off work on times that are not part of the spring break schedule unfortunately.  She works at a college and I'd probably have to get part of her time off for a trip like this during whatever her spring break time is...

No date will work for everyone. I will be in Belgium and Holland the first three weeks of April, and am game for any dates other than that time frame. John should set a date in a new thread, and see where it goes from there. It would be fun! If it ends up when I am in Europe, I understand, but would love to go.

I hope you guys can pull this off! I bet I can get a kitchen pass to come out to say hi to everyone.  If I can offer any tips please let me know.  I have lived here for a few years now I can probably offer a pointer or two here on Oahu. 

• 4 months later...

This is horrible of me after being the one to start this thread but after buying a new house, a new truck, new appliances, new furniture, gutters, tractor etc I just need to hold some cash for awhile.  I still need to put 300' of cedar fence up, expand my driveway and add 30 feet of patio.  That'll be another $15K.

Sorry guys and gals but I spent my vacation this year.

• 2 months later...

@philpom - Mark, I'm in the same boat with you.  After all the time I spent down under this past year and then in Houston, I've gotta stay near the housecienda and get some stuff done. 

All y'all going have fun and eat some roast pig and poi for me.  

On 8/21/2016 at 0:29 PM, Baby Back Maniac said:

My wife and I went to Hawaii this summer. We went to Maui.  I highly recommend going at least once. It was so pretty. I believe I took all these pics with just my iPhone...It wasn't even the "good camera." Everywhere you look is so photogenic. 

IMG_2512_zpsazpcpysg.jpg

IMG_2484%201_zpsqxgz6zym.jpg

IMG_2558_zpsbwesrmmy.jpg

Tell me you went to the ice cream shop in Lahaina at least once a day. Loved that place, a few days the wife and I went twice but who's counting right? haha