11. ckreef

ckreef

12. Cgriller64

Cgriller64

13. CeramicChef

CeramicChef

• Similar Content

• By Marty
      I found this interesting.Please disregard if already posted.

• By John Setzler
      4 cups cauliflower rice (make from whole cauliflower in food processor)
      8 oz diced chicken breast (or your favorite meat/protein) tossed in 1 tsp oil
      1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
      1 cup diced carrots
      1 cup diced onion
      2 cloves minced garlic
      1 tablespoon sesame oil
      2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
      2 beaten eggs
      Preheat your Kamado Joe to about 400 degrees in the dome.  Place the cast iron wok on the lower position with the accessory rack and let the wok preheat with the grill.
      Brown the chicken in the wok, remove and set aside.   Add the sesame oil and saute the onions and the carrots until the carrots soften, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and continue stirring for about one minute.  Add the cauliflower rice and stir constantly for 5-6 minutes.  Add the peas and stir for another minute or two.  Add the chicken back to the wok and mix completely.  Push the mixture to the back of the wok and add the beaten eggs.   Cook the eggs and mix with the rice.  Add the soy sauce and stir for another minute or two.  Remove from the wok and serve hot!
      Enjoy!

• By Kamado Jimi
      Using a Wok on a Kamado is fast & furious! If done right, you'll come out with a crisp & tasty plate. Anyone else cooking on a Wok?  

• By John Setzler
      I seared this swordfish steak and then topped it with a reduction of balsamic vinegar, orange juice, and a little Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey... check it out!

• By Smokehowze
      Swordfish Steaks on the Blackstone Oven
      Three nice swordfish steaks that I had in the freezer were defrosted and patted dry.  They were marinated and grilled on the Blackstone oven on a cast iron grill plate and served with homemade double cheese mac & cheese and a simple salad.  Quite a nice meal.
      Is this good looking or what?  
      A hearty meal on a cool day  
      The marinade paste my son made had Garlic, Soy, Fresh Ginger, Onion, Serrano Pepper,  Avocado Oil, Sesame Oil, Black Pepper, Lemon Juice (note updated based on further conversation with my son)  - run through the food processor to make a thick marinade sauce. This was placed on the fish in a vacuum bag and sealed in my Vacmaster VP215 chamber sealing machine and left in the fridge for about an hour and then out at room temperature for another 30 minutes. 
      Vacuum Sealed 
      Upon removal from the marinade, the bulk of the marinade sauce was removed from the fish (to avoid burning on the Blackstone) and he made a few additions to the marinade and gently cooked it into a side table condiment for the fish.  It was really good.
      Out of the Marinade and Resting 

The cast iron I used and the minor modification to fit it in the Blackstone is documented here: 

The cast iron on the ridged grilling side was well oiled with a wipe of avocado oil (which has a very high smoking point) and placed it in the Blackstone on the bottom cooking stone.  I was going to remove the cooking stone but that made the cast iron hard to remove from the oven (should it be necessary) as it drops down into the recessed turn table with no stone.

I heated the cast iron and the oven to stone to between 425 and 450 degrees.  When cooking the fish I adjusted the flame level as needed over the course of the cook to even out the cooking between what I anticipated the bottom was doing on the cast iron and what the top was doing from the flame and convection heat.  You have to watch the fish and let it tell you what it needs.

Preheating the oven and cast iron  
      Fish Ready to Transfer to the Cast Iron 

The 1.5 inch thick fish was cooked about 5 minutes, removed from the oven and internally temperature checked.  I turned the steaks over and returned them to the oven for a few minutes to finish.   In hindsight, 4 minutes on the first side and about 2 minutes flipped might have been preferred – but that’s learning as you go with nay new cook approach.   In fact my son and I concluded that it should be possible to cook them without flipping by properly increasing the flame heat near the later portion of the cook to finalize the cook but not burn the top.  That will be for the next time cooking this.

Some wood pellets for  flavoring  

To manipulate the fish this is what I found worked well.  I sprayed my aluminum pizza peel with cooking spray.  Set the three fish steaks on the peel and before a piece is placed in the oven turn it so the point of the triangle shaped fish piece is toward the outer end of the peel and the rounded outside of the fish towards the handle end.   Why?   Well as the turn table rotated by I used the peel and a metal turner to slide the fish onto the cast iron with the rounded (skin end) of the fish facing the outer edge of the grill plate.  That way all three pieces fit nicely and the wider parts would pass under the flame front.   To remove the fish I positioned the peel at the front of the oven and used the long handled turner to loosen and lift the fish onto the peel. 
      Should it have been necessary to remove the hot cast iron I had my pizza pan pliers handy and a heavy weight cloth oven cooking mitt so that I could with the pliers and the mitt maneuver the hot iron over to a metal table adjacent to the Blackstone where I place three fire brick as a trivet.   I tested this technique and it works.  Just do not plan on carrying the hot cast iron anywhere  --  It needs to go from oven to the table placed next to the Blackstone in one smooth motion.
      Just for grins I placed some oak wood pellets on the ear tabs of the griddle plate and they would eventually catch fire and add (maybe) a hint of smoke.    Not sure if that did much in the end but it was an easy thing to try.
      Round and Round They Go 
      Flipped Over and Almost Done 

Conclusion -  this was an excellent way to cook the fish.  The family all agreed this was a winner. The hot cast iron grilling surface and the oven/broiler effect made for a perfect cook in flavor, texture, and appearance.  The combination effect added something more than just grilling on the Kamado or over the gasser and was different from an oven only or broiler only cook. It also impresses people to carry the fish inside on the pizza peel and set it on the counter for serving. 

LETS EAT!!!!

Hope this gives you some ideas for a cook of your own.