Sign in to follow this  
danielc

I guess wrapping the heat deflector with foil isn't a great idea

Since my lava stone is cracking I thought maybe wrapping it in heavy duty foil might be a good idea. However after using it to cook ribs, when I lifted it up, the foil appears to be melting. I guess better to leave unwrapped. I don't know if burning/melting foil produces any bad gasses or not.

post-6186-14258536261716_thumb.jpg

Daniel - aluminum melts at about 1221F and that is easily within the range of temps for lump charcoal.  I"m not a big fan of aluminum foil in a kamado for just that reason.  It can off gas and while I don't know if it is true or not, aluminum as been linked to some diseases.  Again, I don't know if it is truth, but for me and mine, better safe than sorry down the road.

Daniel - aluminum melts at about 1221F and that is easily within the range of temps for lump charcoal.  I"m not a big fan of aluminum foil in a kamado for just that reason.  It can off gas and while I don't know if it is true or not, aluminum as been linked to some diseases.  Again, I don't know if it is truth, but for me and mine, better safe than sorry down the road.

So very, very true.

I saw the evidence of this on the last meatball cook I did with a spice packet (made with fresh spices encased in an aluminum foil packet)........the packet was thrown in the coals.  It just about burnt to a powder.....making me wonder how the gasses impacted our health.

I'll certainly do the cook again......just using a different container for the fresh spices. :good:

That myth has been debunked!

Amen John! I don't ever use anything to wrap heat deflectors. Never will. I flip and cook off the residual. As long as it does not build up, no problem!

1+

On the contrary, I prefer a clean diffuser because I store my diffusers outside the grill on an exposed rack under my grill. I don't use the diffusers that much so they spend a lot of time on the rack. A dirty greasy diffuser could attract animals and bugs.

My solution is not to wrap the diffuser. Rather, fold a piece of heavy duty foil to sit on top of the diffuser into the shape of the diffuser and create a 1/2 to 1 inch edge to contain any drippings. If I will have a lot of dripping, I place a 1/2 sheet disposable foil pan on top of the diffuser, which has about a 3 inch edge.