BSK vs Char-Griller Kamado

nosbusa

I asked this question in the wrong forum earlier, so I figure I would ask it in hopefully the right one.. :)

What's the difference between the CG & BSK Kamado for those that have both, or for those that know the answer. Thanks for the help.

Looking at the two side by side, the BSK or now the BKK (Broil King Keg) appears to be a little more substantial. The hardware seems heavier, less slop in the parts, and the outer finish looks more durable. I haven't seen reports of the Keg burning outside finish during normal searing temperatures either. The cast iron grate is heavier in the Keg.

The upside of the CG is that is is probably good enough to do the job, and it sells for less money. It is also larger, allowing for grilling a couple more steaks or roasting a really big turkey!

The BSK has an 18.5 inch cooking grate. The removable warming tray is larger than the CG one so you can hold more food on top. I own a BSK and have checked out the CG at Lowes in detail...but not cooked on one. THe BSK is built more 'hefty' but it does cost a bunch more. The one feature that sold me was the trailer hitch adapter. You can hook it up to your truck and take it anywhere.

When I bought my BSK, the CG was not at Lowes yet. The price difference is substantial. If I ever get into competition, I'll probably get a CG to go along with the BSK.

The other bonus features are the built in bottle openers on the BSK :)

I've also had mine up to about 800 degrees and the outside was touchable without being too hot.

As mentioned on another thread, some of us feel the BSK (or BKK) is about $400 overpriced. It shows up for about $800 in many places. That's getting into ceramic territory. The only advantage the BSK has over ceramics is the portability. Ceramics have greater temperature stability because of their heat sink properties. This is quite important for low and slow. Steel kamados can be used for low and slow, but it takes more care in setting the temperature.

The steel units do seem to be better insulated, and therefore use less charcoal.

The BSK has an 18.5 inch cooking grate. The removable warming tray is larger than the CG one so you can hold more food on top. I own a BSK and have checked out the CG at Lowes in detail...but not cooked on one. THe BSK is built more 'hefty' but it does cost a bunch more. The one feature that sold me was the trailer hitch adapter. You can hook it up to your truck and take it anywhere.

When I bought my BSK, the CG was not at Lowes yet. The price difference is substantial. If I ever get into competition, I'll probably get a CG to go along with the BSK.

I've also had mine up to about 800 degrees and the outside was touchable without being too hot.

I agree with what you said here except for the part about the warming racks. The keg rack is 16 inches across and a LOT more substantial than the one on the chargriller. In fact, it's not a "warming rack" at all but a fully functional cooking rack that can easily hold the size and weight of 2, 8 pound pork butts or 5 racks of ribs. I've also used it to hold a heavy pizza stone. It is one of the things that is better about the keg than the CG.

Now whether it's worth 400 bucks more is another story...

I agree with what you said here except for the part about the warming racks. The keg rack is 16 inches across and a LOT more substantial than the one on the chargriller. In fact, it's not a "warming rack" at all but a fully functional cooking rack that can easily hold the size and weight of 2, 8 pound pork butts or 5 racks of ribs. I've also used it to hold a heavy pizza stone. It is one of the things that is better about the keg than the CG.

I said the same thing about the warming rack...BSK is bigger and better.

I think it comes down to a grill that serves your needs. A large kamado Joe is around $800 right now at most Ace Hardware Stores. The BSK is around $700. My personal preference would be the KJ. However, a couple of big turnoffs for many people with ceramic cookers is their weight. I would agree. It got me thinking when a gentleman asked on the vision forum about how to remove the ash after a cook. I got to admit, it's a bit of a pain in the ### to have to scrape your ash through the small bottom vent. In addition, ever so often you need to remove the firebox for a thorough cleaning. This is very heavy. I do it ok, but I gotta admit, I ain't no spring chicken, and the older one gets, the more of a challenge it becomes lugging a ceramic kamado around. So the BSK makes sense for a lot of people, especially if you are going to be transporting it.

I said the same thing about the warming rack...BSK is bigger and better.

My fault. Where you wrote "larger than" I read "larger on". I really shouldn't post on forums when I'm sick. Sorry, bro.

The one feature that sold me was the trailer hitch adapter. You can hook it up to your truck and take it anywhere.

Can someone post a picture or link for this feature ... Try as I might I can't find anything that looks capable of being hauled behind a truck ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coach JJ

http://www.CoachSomebody.com

Here are some pics...The BSK comes off the wheel base and the side tables are removed for travel.

post-93-13756506870348_thumb.jpg

post-93-13756506871369_thumb.jpg

post-93-13756506872444_thumb.jpg

That is very very cool ...

Now I want one ... Thanks a lot ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coach JJ

http://www.CoachSomebody.com

The adaptor is specific to the Bubba Keg (Big Steel Keg, now Broil King Keg). I am not sure if you can modify it to fit the Acorn or not. I'm very challenged with welding and that sort of stuff. From what I have read, the Acorn seems to be a lot lighter so it should be easier to just pick it up for the back of a truck. It took 2 of us to unload my BSK when I brought it home from the store. Although with the right kind of ramp, both could be wheeled up into a truck bed without too much trouble.

Two guys loaded my CG Kamado "assembled at Lowe's", into my SUV, but when I got home I was able to take it out of the back by myself. It's not real heavy just awkward. Like any other Kamado though.

You could always buy something like this, or similar for your Kamado style cooker. If you couldn't hitch it up like the BSK.

http://www.amazon.com/Basket-Style-Bump ... f=pd_ybh_7