I have a confession to make

Big John Lehman

I skipped cooking on Big Red this weekend and took the family to Famous Dave's. While we are halfway through eating my 9 y.o. son (in all sincerity) told me I should work there because he couldn't taste the grill (his interpretation of smoky flavor) on his pulled pork like he does on the ones I make. Then he said "maybe you can teach them how to make it juicy too". The look on my wifes face was priceless. It's like she knew it was validation of my buying the new kamado. They all then concurred. Absolutely made my day. Best part is, he still doesn't get just how much it made my day. I think because he didn't mean it as a compliment as much as an observation. 

That kid is gonna get a raise in his allowance. 

Great time to start teaching that son how to make it as good as you if you haven't already.

I've always said my pleasure at eating out in BBQ joints dropped once I started smoking my own. It continued to drop the better I got. At this point I really don't enjoy eating BBQ and paying for it. I've turned into a BBQ snob I guess cause I always think, "Mine is so much better, how can they charge this much for this?"

Had the same thing when I served up steak frites (steak done on KJ of course). Mrs Wilkie and 6 yr old Wilkie jr both declared it delicious. I enjoy going to restaurants but often am disappointed when I figure I'm paying for something I could make better at home. Seems to be a pretty common riff here.

Agree with Smoker08 - time to start teaching the kids.

What a perceptive young guy your son is! You must be a very proud Dad. Kinda brings a tear to your eye, stories like that. I agree - start teaching him the basics. Like the saying goes: " Give a man some BBQ, and he'll eat for a day: Teach him how to BBQ and he'll stay out in the backyard all night!". Thanks for posting such a nice story.

Great story.

We are all BBQ/restaurant snobs around here. If you're not one yet then it's time to fire up the Kamado more often.

Well said.

I've reached the point where I don't go to bbq or steak restaurants any more.

Pizza is becoming something that we almost never order out.

After trying John's herb smoked meatballs.......I can cross Italian restaurants off the list, too.

About the only thing we go out for now on date nights is sushi or fajitas.