keeperovdeflame

Thinking seriously about getting a Yetti cooler. Help with model / size

Thanks for the update and I hope you are feeling better.  I guess the "Yeti" brand is cool and ranks up there with Apple.  Each cup comes with a Yeti sticker.  My son took one of the stickers and placed it on top of his Mac Book Pro!

Doing better every day, thanks.

The sticker thing and the cult-like popularity of the Yeti worked against them as far as I was concerned.  I thought it was silly that someone would spend so much for a cooler.

I followed that line of thinking for years.

Then a friend, who is very, very frugal on all things......revealed begrudgingly that not only did he have a Yeti cooler....but he had 3 of them. That revelation floored me.

He's a bigtime saltwater flats fisherman and deer hunter.  After he explained how he's saved money....not only with  ice but mainly on annual replacement cooler cost and extra benches for his boats it started making sense.  Hanging out with him for a weekend and using the coolers the advantages became crystal clear.  About a year later I had enough Academy Sports gift cards saved up to fund my own Yeti.

Exactly my experience, and my son works for a outfitter in Utah, all coolers are Yeti. The hinges and handles are all replaceable under the warranty, and they are not replacing coolers constantly. IMO that's worth the cost alone. Have a Roady, 45, and 20oz. 30oz. Tumblers. And they all are quality products. They all do what they were designed to do, keep things Cold or Hot for a long time.

Was looking at a Pelican the other day, looks nice. However the hinges, drain plug and the handles are suspect to me.All will break heavy use IMO.

An interesting test of all the higher end coolers. Looks like the "IRB" which I think is Grizzly outperformed all of them by a decent margin.

My $13 Coleman Xtreme held ice looks to me exactly the same as the Yeti.

Weighs 14 lbs less.

Thanks for sharing that. I have an older Coleman Extreme and have been looking at the high end coolers - mainly because the hinge on my Extreme has an awful squeak on opening and closing that is beyond annoying! Now, after seeing this, I'll just go pick up another Extreme to replace it with and put the extra cash towards a DigiQ or Cyber!.

Just purchased the Igloo Sportsman at Sam's Club for $200.  It has a lot of nice features (handle(s), drain plug, raised non skid feet)   Might be bigger than what you need but worth checking out.  

@Jon B., what is the conclusion on the Igloo Sportsman? 

I have one an love it. A single bag of ice will last for three days in it. That is in the back of the SUV in hot weather. If we just put our cold food in it after shopping with out ice-- that will pull the temp down and the food is still cold---even if we stop at a restaurant in the heat of the day. Or a bag of ice and drinks for a day trip and the drinks are cold and there is ice left. So it fills our needs.

I absolutely love the huge drain plug with a chain on it. I certainly can not compare it to all the others but it has to be similar. Heavy--hard foam filled walls-- keeps ice for days--seemingly indestructible.

I've seen basically the same discussion on Yeti coolers on many other forums. Every time I always add this link : http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-hard-cooler/

If I was in bear country or dropping my cooler out of the back of a C-130 a Yeti might be the gear to have but neither of those things are a concern to me so it's hard to beat the Coleman Xtreme.

We have been buying cheap coolers to run to the ballpark for years. They all work good until they are used for a seat or step stool. After that, they start to fail and get progressively worse. We have been going through a couple Coleman Extreme coolers a year because the lid leaks after a couple long weekends and practices. Since getting the Yeti coolers, that has changed. They are good for years instead of weeks. They are heavy and a PITA to move when loaded, but all loaded coolers are heavy and we use a wagon to get it around at the ballparks.

We still use the Coleman coolers from time to time, but that's only when we are going in different directions for the weekend.

One thing that is important to note is, the Yeti cooler works better if it is cool before you put ice in it. They are slow to change temps and if they are stored in a hot garage, then they will melt the first bag of ice trying to change the cooler temp.

After seeing Dubs comment about the tumbler, I had to get one. 13hrs in the office and I leave at the end of the day with the same ice in it. So far they have been quite impressive. Hopefully they keep working for years like the cooler.

All you guys must literally torture your coolers.

I have had 2 of the Coleman Xtreme for 3 years now and both still look and function like brand new.

That includes one 27 day trip cross country for both coolers and at least 3 to 4 camping trips plus I keep one in the back of my 4Runner and use it usually twice a week.

If the hinges ever give out I can replace them for $5, same with handles. They can usually be found on sale for $30

As for performance they are virtually identical to any cooler costing 1000% more.

@Nunyabiz - I'm not sure if I'm just having bad luck or if we are hard on them. For me it isn't the hinges or handles that fail. Its the lid that gets crushed after sitting in the sun all day and being used as a seat. They change shape and don't seal correctly anymore. Once the lid quits sealing, they aren't any better than the foam coolers you get for $5.

I'm not stuck on Yeti, but that is the cooler I've had good luck with. I've seen Pelican coolers being drug around by teams too, but I have no real experience with them and can only say that they liked them.

@Nunyabiz - I'm not sure if I'm just having bad luck or if we are hard on them. For me it isn't the hinges or handles that fail. Its the lid that gets crushed after sitting in the sun all day and being used as a seat. They change shape and don't seal correctly anymore. Once the lid quits sealing, they aren't any better than the foam coolers you get for $5.

I'm not stuck on Yeti, but that is the cooler I've had good luck with. I've seen Pelican coolers being drug around by teams too, but I have no real experience with them and can only say that they liked them.

Ahh, gotcha yeah I have never sat on mine.

But I bet if I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit the lid and a 3" piece of foam and covered it with some Sunbrella material, glue and staple it underneath then bolt that cushion to the cooler lid using large fender washers that would strengthen the lid, keep it cooler so the heat doesn't warp it, and add insulation to boot.

Be a strong comfortable seat/lid.

That is basically what I had on my boat with two 86 qt coolers side by side that I used as coolers, live wells, and rear seats.

@Nunyabiz - Nice idea. Thanks for the tip. I wish I would've thought of that myself. Could've saved me years of frustration and a lot of money. I will see if I can save one of my other coolers now with that idea.

Not meaning to resurrect an old thread, but now that I'm out of New England, and the need for a cooler vs a snow bank has arisen, I thought I'd see if anyone else has had anything new to report since late June?  I've looked at all the major brands and have narrowed my choices down.  The nerd in me did a spreadsheet of all comparable brands and sizes including Yeti, Kysek, K2, Bison, Grizzly, and Pelican.  I then broke it down by price per qt (as "estimated" by interior dimensions I found online at each manuf website).  I compared the 25 model up to the 90 model.  I didn't compare anything like the roadie or a competitor's offering with like a handle/carrying strap.  I compared only models that I could put in the back of my truck and take out with relative ease with the help of a friend if needed.  So, nothing over a 90/100 or so model...I also wanted a model I could take to deer camp with me to put quartered deer/wild game in if necessary.  This wasn't s hard/fast decision maker as I don't think I could put much meat in a 30 qt for example, but I still considered those.  Each brand has it's pros and cons and I won't go into those much so here.  This isn't a brand bashing or brand loving post either.  I then broke it out into a pivot of size ranges (per qt) so I could compare apples to apples...as close as possible.  Pricing was from manuf website including shipping (if applicable).  This pivot table left me with 6 ranges of sizes; 25-34 qts - 35-44 qts - 45-54 qts - 55-64 qts - 65-74 qts - >75 qts.  I didn't talk ice retention or can capacity.  Ice retention is subjective anyway.  If you follow the "exact" recommendations from each vendors website, you can get their "claimed" ice retention. 

Observations/differences (neither good or bad)

Yeti Coolers - Pricey, great reputation, seemingly good customer service/warranty, cult following, all coolers come with dry goods basket, 3" foam on top and 2" foam on sides

Kysek Coolers - relatively unknown brand, 4" foam all around (top and sides), integrated wheels on all models of coolers analyzed (smaller 25 cooler has no wheels), 3/4" drain plug on one side and 2" on the other

K2 Coolers - awesome color choices

Pelican - complaints about drain, cheaper than others generally speaking, I have had good luck with their other cases

Grizzly/Bison - Don't know much about these other than what I found online.

Here's the results.  If anyone want's more detail, let me know.  I compared 23 different coolers from 6 manufacturers. 

Group 1

Yeti Tundra 35 (23 qts) - $13.85/qt most expensive on the whole list and most in this category

K2 Summit 30 (34 qts) - $7.36/qt least expensive in this category

Group 2

Yeti Tundra 50 (37 qts) - $10.76/qt most expensive in this category (Yeti Tundra 65 was the 2nd most expensive in this category)

Pelican 35 (38 qts) - $6.44/qt least expensive in this category

Group 3

Kysek 50 (50 qts) - $7.94/qt most expensive in this category

Pelican 45 (47 qts) - $5.93/qt least expensive in this category

Group 4 (only two entries in this group)

Yeti Tundra 75 (60 qts) - $7.80/qt most expensive in this category

Grizzly 60 (64 qts) - $5.17/qt least expensive in this category

Group 5

Kysek 75 (72 qts) - $6.53/qt most expensive in this category

Pelican 65 (69 qts) - $4.90/qt least expensive in this category

Group 6

Bison 75 (75 qts) - $5.48/qt most expensive in this category

Pelican 95 (100 qts) - $4.49/qt least expensive in this category

Just a bored day at work.  For my money, I'm going to go with the Kysek 75.

Kevin