Kamado Joe Barbecued Swordfish Steaks

John Setzler

Hey JOE fans!  I'd like to help you roll into the weekend by offering up this OUTSTANDING Barbecue Grilled Swordfish Steak recipe and technique for you to try!  This recipe takes grilled fish to a whole new level!  Time to get your JOE ON!

Kamado Joe Barbecued Swordfish Steaks

Ingredients:

2 nice sized swordfish steaks

Marinade-

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Rub:

Your choice of barbecue rubs (I used Kamado Joe Smokey Paprika)

Finishing Glaze -

1/4 to 1/3 cup barbecue sauce (http://www.ebestbarbecue.com if interested in the Smokey Mountan Finishing Sauce)
2 tablespoons whiskey

Directions:

Rinse and thaw (if frozen) the swordfish steaks.  Combine the marinade ingredients and place in a ziploc bag with the swordfish steaks.  Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, turning the fish occasionally.

Setup and preheat your grill for high temperature direct and indirect grilling.

Remove the fish from the ziploc bag and drizzle remaining marinade on top of fish.  Dust fish lightly with barbecue rub.  Grill for approximately two minutes per side and then move to the indirect side of the grill.  Glaze with the barbecue sauce and whiskey finishing glaze and let cook until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 140-145°F.  Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.  Serve and ENJOY!

That is an excellent looking recipe with results to prove you nailed it down perfectly.

I really like everything in there.....the marinade, the finishing glaze and the two zone method.  

Those grill marks were spot on.   

I just haven't seen too many recipes that bring the 'barbecue' flavor to fish.  I wanted to try something that would and this was really delicious and I couldn't think of a better fish to try it on than swordfish.  You could do this on tuna or salmon or anything else but I love the size and consistency of swordfish.  

I just haven't seen too many recipes that bring the 'barbecue' flavor to fish. I wanted to try something that would and this was really delicious and I couldn't think of a better fish to try it on than swordfish. You could do this on tuna or salmon or anything else but I love the size and consistency of swordfish.

luckily, we can get swordfish right off the boat here in Boston, this is a GREAT video for us up here in the NE

• 5 years later...