10. wickedcajun

wickedcajun

11. Ben S

Ben S

12. Cgriller64

Cgriller64

• Similar Content

• By GrillDawg
      Fired up the KJ for some NY Strip Steaks last night. I'd have to say...best steak I've had, hands down.

Got the steaks from a Stripling's General Store here in town. Seasoned with some Lane's BBQ Brisket rub. Put a block of Hickory in the fire.

1. Got the grill up to around 300º while seasoning.

2. First time using my ThermoPro wireless thermometer. It definitely gave me the flexibility of hanging out inside while getting up to temp!

3. Got the steaks to 125º and pulled them off and tented with aluminum foil.

4. Opened up the vents and aimed to get to 550-600º for the sear.

5. "I have made fire!"

6. Looking tasty! It smelled so good.

7. Plated with some spinach salad and a twice baked potato from Striplings.

8. Look at that color!

I'd have to say...this is my fourth cook on my KJ since buying it for Father's Day and everything I make on it is amazing. My wife looked at my across the table while eating and said, "I see why you wanted to spend so much money on a grill. This is delicious!"

If only she would have that logic when I try to convince her I want to buy a truck...haha
    • By David Scubadiver
      I purchased my grill in December and finally got around to using it Sunday afternoon.  I have been cooking sous vide and using a cast iron pan lately, but the smoke has been terrible. 

For or my first time grilling,  I decided on baked potatoes, steaks and asparagus. Started the fire with a twisted paper towel wetted with vegetable oil. 

The fire got hotter than intended, and stayed hotter than intended.  I started with the potatoes and let them cook for nearly an hour above the heat deflector. Then I added the raw steaks, and eventually the asparagus that were prepared with some oil and seasoning.

I was prepared for disaster but everything came out delicious. I forgot to open up the vents for the sear, but as I said, the grill was hot. 

• By ryantt
      Well I finally got a chance to fire up the kj classic, but no time for a low and slow.   I cooked a few steaks 450ish until almost done, the. Dropped them done close to the coals and finished them off.  

So what did I think of my new kj.  Initially when I got it I felt it may be Of lesser quality, and I happy to report I was wrong.  It heated up like a rocket, held steady and shut down like a champ.....even with out the ceramic cap.  

Thanks for looking. 
    • By THATGUY
      The other day I solicited inputs for my Brazilian themed Olympic Cookout.  @Andyscalzo had lot of great suggestions, but the one that really stuck with me was his recommendation on how to do pineapple.  It just so happens I had a very sober pineapple sitting on my counter the other day and a grill that was still hot outside, so I figured I would give it a shot.  Andy had given me an outline to follow, but I went to Mike Vrbet at Dadcooksdinner for a few more details.  My approach ended up being a hybrid of the two based on materials.  Andy recommended I use a cherry rub, but I didn't have one of those in my pantry. 

Steps:
      1) Chop off crown and base of pineapple
      2) Peel the Pineapple but cutting off the peel with 6—8 cuts
      3) Inject the pineapple with a rum of your choice (I used Trader Vic’s Dark Rum and this is why I call it “Drunken Pineapple”)
      4) Sprinkle turbinado sugar on the pineapple flesh
      5) Spear the pineapple through the core with the spit and install forks
      6) Install rotisserie on a hot grill
      7) Cook for approximately 30 minutes, until the caramelization reaches desired level.
      8) Slice thinly down the length of the pineapple and serve
      I sliced it thinly and served with a vanilla macadamia nut ice cream that is made locally.  I even added a splash or two of rum, it was delicious.  Big thanks to Andy for the suggestion, I had grilled pineapple before but never like this and it was a good opportunity to take the Joetisserie for another spin. 

Photos here
    • By DerHusker
      Last week they put Ribeye Roasts on sale for $6.99 a lb. and $5.88 a lb. if you purchased $25.00 of other items.  This is a great price so I went in to buy a roast and they didn’t have any good looking ones out in the display case so I asked for one from the back. They brought out a whole rib to cut me one. When I saw it I told them I’d just buy the whole thing. Here it is in the cryovac plastic. (Approx. 21” long and 22 lbs.)

Unwrapped.

It was so big I cut it in half for easier handling.

Oooh! Nice color.  

I cut it into approximate 3” thick, bone-in steaks.

I kept one out for immediate use and vacuum packed the rest for future meals.

Oh yeah!