Sign in to follow this  
DerHusker

Cherry-Pineapple Dump Cake

I’ve made this quite a few times and decided to share the very simple recipe. It's so easy and so yummy that you'll be making it all the time.

Ingredients:

1 can of cherry pie filling
1 can of crushed pineapple
1 package of yellow cake mix
Cinnamon
Melted Butter

Directions:
Smeared some butter on the bottom and sides of the Dutch oven. Then "Dump" in 1 can of cherry pie filling and 1 can crushed pineapple. On top of that dump 1 yellow cake mix, sprinkle in 1 tablespoon cinnamon and then drizzle 1 stick of melted butter on top of that. Cover up with lid and then put into the kamado / grill for 30 to 35 minutes at 325 degrees. A double recipe will take an extra 10 to 15 minutes.

(Note: Some people line the Dutch oven with alum foil for easy clean-up but with the butter on the side nothing stuck and my clean-up was very easy)

I’ve done this on the kamado & grill but it could also be done in the oven or on a camp fire. (On camp fire you separate 8 to 10 coals and place your dutch oven on top. Then take 12 to 14 coals and put them on top of the Dutch oven and wait the 30 to 35 minutes)

Here is a single serving in my 5 quart DO

IMG_3348.jpg

Here it a double serving in my 7 quart camp DO. (a double recipe will take an extra 10 to 15 minutes)

IMG_3277.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

I think I'm gonna make this as my video cook this weekend :)

You're going to like it. It's a little different then the standard dump cake cobbler in that the pineapple adds a little bit of tropical tartness.

I made this tonight and changed it up a bit... I used two cans of cherry pie filling and left the pineapple out.  I added 1/4 cup of amaretto "Disaronno" to the pie filling and also added 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips on top of the white cake mix.... awesome!

I made this tonight and changed it up a bit... I used two cans of cherry pie filling and left the pineapple out.  I added 1/4 cup of amaretto "Disaronno" to the pie filling and also added 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips on top of the white cake mix.... awesome!

Oh Heck Yeah! Sounds like a great version of a dump cake. Can't wait to see the video.

This thread makes me sad...my wife doesn't lie cherries. :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:

We make dump cakes out of apple, peach or blueberries also Squarehelmet. They are so simple to make and really good served warm with ice cream. 

Made this over the weekend. Very easy and gooooood. I threw in my DO and after we pulled dinner off the KJC. Worked out wonderful with some ice cream. Wanna try with some peaches next time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By wallawu
      Got on here yesterday and came to the dessert section to get an idea.  Saw these "dump cake" recipes and checked them out.  They seemed easy enough so I found one with blueberries because I'm not the biggest cherry fan.  Here's the recipe I used:

Blueberry Dump Cake

Ingredients
      1 box of yellow cake mix 1 21 oz can of blueberry pie filling 1 large can of crushed pineapple, drained 1 cup fresh blueberries 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional) 1 stick of butter Directions
      Preheat oven to 375. Spread the can of blueberry pie filling at the bottom of a  9.5 x 13 cake pan/pyrex dish (or similar size-but no bigger.) Spread crushed pineapple over pie filling and top with shredded coconut and 3/4 of the fresh blueberries. Evenly sprinkle the dry cake mix over the top of the fruit. Melt 3/4 of the butter stick and drizzle over the cake mix. Thinly slice the rest of the butter stick and randomly place the sliced butter pieces on any dry cake mix still showing. Sprinkle the rest of the fresh blueberries on top of the cake mix. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake topping is golden brown.  
      It was so easy that I thought surely it couldn't taste that great.  After about 2 seconds in my mouth it hit me that this stuff was legit, and probably one of the best desserts I've ever made.  If I had to change one thing, I'd use a can and a half of the blueberry pie filling so the cake would have a little more to soak up, but it's incredible as it is.  The coconut really sets it off.

Thanks, everybody, for introducing me to new and fresh ideas every day.

• By Dub
      Unreal weather today.  55 degrees at 10:00am.  This upcoming week....last year.....we had an ice storm that knocked the power out for several days in the surrounding area......followed soon by an earthquake.......not on this day, however.  Today is beyond excellent.
          Morning coffee had while getting the grill up to temp with some Toby Keith playing on the deck.  Good morning to the neighbors.         Using some great looking FoGo lump.  Ginormous pieces.  Added several large chunks of cherry wood on top, too.  @BOOMSTICK069 was spot on with his recommendation about this stuff !       Giant 35 lb bags.         Doing some ribs today....it's been ages since the last batch.     Going to use a different rub on each slab.         Cimarron Docs has been my family's favorite rib rub for the past couple years.  Great stuff.   The look of that Kamado Joe Peach rub is enough to make me want to eat a spoonful of it right now.   I've never tried the John Henry's Pecan rub but it came highly recommended so I'll give it a go.     Just getting started.       In efforts to save time.....I went ahead and put them bone-side down on the grate and hit the top sides heavily with the rub.       I was going to do a couple butts, too.....but didn't get up in time this morning and was going to be pushed for time.  Tossed 'em in the freezer and will cook them next weekend.  
    • By John Setzler
      I have seen quite a few of these dump cakes made since the inception of the Kamado Guru website.  I went back and had a look at DerHusker's Cherry Pineapple dump cake and decided to give it a go on my own.  These are really super simple to make but I decided to change up the flavor profile a bit and used just cherries for the fruit and added some Amaretto to build that wonderful flavor profile.  The dark chocolate chips really kicked this over the top!

Recipe: Kamado Joe Cherry Amaretto Dump Cake   Ingredients:   2 cans of cherry pie filling 1/4 cup Amaretto 1 boxed white cake mix 1/2 cup chocolate chips 4 ounces (1 stick) of butter cut into 1 tablespoon slices   Directions:   Preheat your grill to 325-350°F and set up for indirect cooking.   In a mixing bowl, combine your cherry pie filling and amaretto.  Grease a 5-quart dutch oven and add the cherry and amaretto mixture to the pan.  Dump on the entire contents of the boxed white cake mix and spread evenly on top of the cherries.  Sprinkle on 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.  Place the butter slices on top.  Put the lid on the dutch oven and place on the grill for 30-40 minutes.     Let cool just a bit and serve!
    • By DerHusker
      My older Dutch oven was the camp style with legs so it was sometime a challenge to use on the grill. So I just purchased a new Lodge with a flat bottom. Tried it out yesterday with some Cherry-Pineapple Dump Cake on my gas grill.

Yum!

• By DerHusker
      Here’s a different twist on my Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake. Fantastic and simple to make.

Ingredients:
      2 15 oz. cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup
      1 package of yellow cake mix
      Cinnamon & Brown Sugar
      1 stick of butter

Directions:
      Smear some butter on the bottom and sides of the Dutch oven.

Then "Dump" in 2 cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup and sprinkle in 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. (If you like the cobbler I little dryer then partially drain one of the cans of peaches)

On top of that dump 1 yellow cake mix, sprinkle in 1 tablespoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.

Then drizzle 1 stick of melted butter on top of that. (Or just add thin slices on top)

Cover up with lid and then put into the kamado / grill for 30 to 35 minutes at 325 degrees. A double recipe will take an extra 10 to 15 minutes.

Here is a single serving in my 5 quart DO