John Setzler

Kamado Joe Cast Iron Wok Shrimp Scampi

I had to break out the Kamado Joe Cast Iron Wok today and make an outstanding batch of Shrimp Scampi on the Kamado Joe Classic!  Here's the recipe:

Kamado Joe Cast Iron Wok Shrimp Scampi

Preheat your grill to a dome temperature of 400°F with the cast iron wok on the accessory rack in the lower position of the Divide & Conquer Flexible Cooking System.

1 to 1 1/2 lbs 20 count shrimp, peeled, deveined, with tails on
salt/pepper to taste
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup dry white wine
juice of one lemon
3-4 cloves finely minced garlic
2 shallots, diced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley

Rinse your shrimp and dust with salt and black pepper.

Once your wok is good and hot, add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.  Sautee the garlic and shallots for about 2 minutes.  Add the shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes until the shrimp is almost done.  Remove the shrimp from the wok and set aside.

Add another 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil to the wok.  Add the white wine and lemon juice and let come to a boil.  Return the shrimp tho the wok. Add the chopped parsley and toss in the wine and oil mixture for another minute or two.  

Remove from the wok and serve over cooked rice or cooked linguini.  You can also add the cooked linguini to the wok and toss it with the shrimp and scampi sauce if you like!

Enjoy!!

Powerfully looking tasty cook.

Another high-quality recipe video, too, John.  :good:

Your videos really cover the cooks very, very well.  Informative and flinging cravings on those who watch them.

Is the circular opening on the x-rack the same size on both the Classic and the Big Joe ?

i assume that the wok fits each grill's x-rack.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Smokingdadbbq
      If you haven't tried dry brined spatchcocked turkey before you're missing out... created a quick how to for those unfamiliar with any of the techniques.

Still working out how to make videos so appreciate your candid feedback.... but not too candid lol jk 

• By Smokingdadbbq
      In this video, you will find all of the information necessary to properly unbox and assemble your new Kamado Joe Classic III grill.  I didn't think to make a video for the first one, so thought I would share tips I picked up from doing it a second time around.

• By LargeRedJoe
      Kamado Joe is having a warehouse sale next Friday and Saturday in Atlanta (well, really it's Duluth).

Kamado Joe
      3400 Rivergreen Ct NW
      Duluth, GA 30096-2519

ETA: From Conor Brennan

• By Smokingdadbbq
      After doing a warm up burn in before the weekend when we were away I was excited to get home and do my first cook on my new kamado Joe 3. 

I reverse seared the tomahawk with the SloRoller at 250 until the IT hit 114 and then set it aside under foil while I change the setup for searing the steak and cast iron frying the shrimp. 

couldn’t be happier with the cook, it was also my first time using one of the two bags I picked up on the weekend of KJ charcoal, not sure how much of the awesome is the coal vs the grill but it all worked together to make a meal our guests will remember. Can’t wait to try more cooks. 

Posting a sneak peek before this hits my instagram page https://www.instagram.com/smokingdadbbq/

• By GrillDawg
      Fired up the KJ for some NY Strip Steaks last night. I'd have to say...best steak I've had, hands down.

Got the steaks from a Stripling's General Store here in town. Seasoned with some Lane's BBQ Brisket rub. Put a block of Hickory in the fire.

1. Got the grill up to around 300º while seasoning.

2. First time using my ThermoPro wireless thermometer. It definitely gave me the flexibility of hanging out inside while getting up to temp!

3. Got the steaks to 125º and pulled them off and tented with aluminum foil.

4. Opened up the vents and aimed to get to 550-600º for the sear.

5. "I have made fire!"

6. Looking tasty! It smelled so good.

7. Plated with some spinach salad and a twice baked potato from Striplings.

8. Look at that color!

I'd have to say...this is my fourth cook on my KJ since buying it for Father's Day and everything I make on it is amazing. My wife looked at my across the table while eating and said, "I see why you wanted to spend so much money on a grill. This is delicious!"

If only she would have that logic when I try to convince her I want to buy a truck...haha