2. Dub

Dub

3. danielc

danielc

4. JormaC

JormaC

• Similar Content

• By JWoodyNE
      TL;DR - Homemade apple wood smoked jalapeno bacon is easy and awesome!  (http://chaosinthekitchen.com/2010/10/home-cured-jalapeno-bacon/)

My wife and I have a Red Beans and Bacon dish we absolutely love, that we've always made with jalapeno bacon sourced from a local supermarket.  Unfortunately during pandemic-times they stopped carrying it, and they don't know if it will ever come back.  We were nearly resigned to using "normal" bacon, until I found the recipe from Chaos in the Kitchen (above).

We picked up a 3.5# skin-on pork belly from the local Super Saver, made up the brining solution, and parked it all in the cold box for a week.  Then smoked it at 200F to internal temp of 150F with a chunk of apple wood.  In order to slice it, I put the finished bacon in the freezer for 40 min, which allowed me to cut 'thin enough' strips with a sharp knife for burgers.  For the Red Beans and Bacon, I cut 1/4" strips, then knocked those down into lardons.

The bacon had more jalapeno flavor than heat.  We might try adding some birdseye pepper power to subsequent attempts to amp it up a bit.

Here's Alton Browns Red Beans recipe we modified (we omit the rice entirely and instead serve dish with deluxe cornbread, and we substitute the pickled pork with jalapeno bacon):
      https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/red-beans-and-rice-recipe-1943443

[In some of the comments on the DIY bacon page, folks mentioned it's "not really" bacon because it hasn't been "cured".  Perhaps that's correct, but my bacon lasted 7 days in fridge just fine post smoking, so I think I'm good with the finished product regardless of the name]

• By philpom
      While it's cooler outside it's the best time to smoke a bunch of cheese.

Did mine a week ago, tested it today.  My best batch ever and I think my new favorite wood for cheddar is hickory.

This is extra sharp cheddar.  I crusted it with black pepper before vacuum sealing it.  Going to be fantastic after it rests a few months.  Last year I did extra sharp cheddar with pecan and crusted in chipotle.   Still have one of those sealed floating around.
    • By LJS
      Hi Kamado Peeps,
      Been awhile since my last post.
      I got a great book on breads; I have always been keen on making my own loafs and pizza with success but never really nailed the authentic artisan type dough. So for father’s day I got a book and I have been having a go with great results. Oh, yeh there is an art to making good breads. I recommend this book for any enthusiasts. Flour Water Yeast Salt.
      All baked on my GAS webber.   As I get better I will challenge myself on the Kamado with some natural woods I can’t wait (wood fired home baked bread)  Also had to included the lemon meringue and poppy seed lemon cake baked on the webber 
      Keep smoking  
      https://www.amazon.com.au/Flour-Water-Salt-Yeast-Forkish/dp/160774273X/ref=asc_df_160774273X/?tag=googleshopdsk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=341743255194&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11731459910241742571&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9071728&hvtargid=pla-404289632390&psc=1

• By USFSSmokey
      So just bought my first KJ Classic II.  Coming over from a Traeger. (Sold it) But was wondering how low of a temp can you achieve with the KJ without the fire going out.  I bout the FireBoard and fan system to go with it.  Delivery is tomorrow and want to get cooking.  First burn though is just going to be charcoal, no food.  Just messing with vents to see how it reacts to things.  In the mean time, I read and dream of all the delicious food that is to come..

• By KamadoMax
      This is one of my favorite burgers to make at home. Super simple and packed full of flavor.

Ingredients"
      - 1 pound 80/20 beef
      - Your favorite bacon
      - Pepper jack cheese
      - Buns of your choosing
      - Jalapeños 
      - Burger/steak seasoning  

Sauce Ingredients:
      -  1/2 cup Mayo
      - 4 Chipotle peppers with sauce  
      - 1 tablespoon Tobacco 

Form 4 meatballs and smash them on the grill, we're making a double stack. Cook until you get. a good crust, flip and cover with cheese. Top with bacon, jalapeños, and place on bun with spicy sauce and enjoy!