Aaron Franklin vs. Austin Politics: Future of Austin Barbecue at Stake

Smokin' Dan

Austin wants barbecue joints to install "smoke scrubbers" because of a few cranky soreheads in one or two snotty old-Austin neighborhoods.  Franklin says he'd be forced to close if the city legislates this.  We're talking a potential barbecue apocalypse here:

austin.eater.com/2015/3/30/8309059/barbecue-master-aaron-franklin-slams-proposed-city-smoke-limits

Of course, Aaron is leading with his ace.  No sensible human wants to see Franklin's shut down.  But are there enough sensible humans?

Edited by Smokin' Dan

You might have a change of thought if the smoke from his twenty some odd smokestacks were blowing into your bedroom window and lowing your property value. There are two sides to every story.

Move

Why should a homeowner be forced to pack up and move if he's lived there as long or longer than the business? I don't know the situation in Austin, so I can't really take sides, but it sounds as if Franklin's and some other joints have just gotten too large for their neighborhood location, and perhaps with their volume, it would better serve them and the residents to move to a business or industrial park location.

Ross - I've been to Franklin's 2-3 times.  I've never understood why he doesn't move to a better location.  It can't be because he's tight on cash.  It can't be because he can't get a bank to swing with him.  But I think at the end of the day, that Franklin is going to have to move.  Right now there is too much traffic, too many problems parking, etc.  You've got professional line sitters there and they're not the greatest kind of folks you want in your neighborhood.  Instead of standing at an intersection with a sign, they stand in line for bucks.

People I know who know Franklins say he knows about the problems his success is creating; he's just not really certain how to solve them.  If I were him I'd buy a ton of land outside Austin, build my BBQ joint there, build a house an acre away on the land I owned, and be done with it.  People will follow that guy anywhere just to eat his Q!

Regulating Franklin's smoke is the pre curser to regulating back yard bbq.

Sad to say, but Rob, I think you are spot on.  

It's gonna get to the point where we have to get Government permission to fart because a fart is primarily methane and that's a green house gas and every little bit will be regulated!  

Why do we let this happen to us? How did this happen to us? Last I checked, the government was supposed to work for us, not the other way around!

Around here, the Government does legislate quite a bit when it comes to backyard BBQ. At the end of the day, if they want to, they can use the fire code (no flammable products within X radius of a grill) or laws that govern noise, smoke and light emissions. 

I agree that Franklin seems to be a victim of his own success. Seems like he'll be forced out of there at some point. 

regulating, legislating  dictating our lives   we have so many laws on the books. .... . the governments .. local state and national   are just trying to figure out a way to justify their existence ..

regulating, legislating dictating our lives we have so many laws on the books. .... . the governments .. local state and national are just trying to figure out a way to justify their existence ..
Amen, marauders!

The single most important job of any bureaucracy is to perpetuate it by any means possible!