Woodman

For CeramicChef.....a question about smoke

This last weekend you participated in a thread about smoking and how you put wood in a 2qt Dutch oven that has holes drilled in it. Then you said that you put the oven directly on the fire to impart the blue, thin smoke that everyone is after. I was wondering if you could show a pic of your Dutch oven with the holes drilled in it? How many holes are drilled, what size and how far apart? How does this fit on your fire with a heat deflector, or are you using a deflector with this setup? If you could elaborate on this I would appreciate it.

I'll go snap some pics and post them here. 

I drilled 1/8" holes in the BOTTOM of the 2 qt Dutch Oven.  I drilled the holes about 2" apart around the perimeter of the DO and then across the circle of holes and then at 90 degrees to form a cross.  

I use this on TheBeast where plenty of room is to be found.  I'll be certain to snap pics of the setup I use when smoking butts, briskets, etc.  

By using 1/8" holes the DO can use pellets as well as chunks.  

By drilling the holes in the bottom, the smoke is injected through the bottom holes directly into the hot charcoal.  That arrangement burns off all the volatiles that you always get using just smoke wood.  The "cleansed" smoke then rises and condenses on the meat.  You essentially get Thin Blue Smoke from the first minute of your cook.  

More later as I have time.

Hmmmm... I wonder if this would be a good smoke control option for us. SWMBO is sensitive to smoke flavor. This might be a nicer approach than figuring out how many chunks is too much! Haha.

Staying tuned to this one!

CC is a guru with beasts for cookers so he knows best with his method. The only thing I would say for those who are sensitive to smoke flavour less is more. It's amazing how much flavour charcoal alone imparts so you don't need half a tree stump. And the protein also has an effect as some take more smoke that others.

Howdy Gurus!  As promised here are pics of my smoke pot that I use while smoking in TheBeast.  As you'll see, this 2 qt Lodge Dutch Oven really won't fit well in Beauty!; she is too petite.  When it comes to smoking meats, that is strictly within the purview of TheBeast.   However, when you see the Lodge Dutch Oven smoke pot in the belly of TheBeast, you can see that it fits quite nicely even with a heat deflector in place.  So, let's cut to the chase.

Here is a bottom view of the drilled bottom.  These are 1/8" holes drilled about every 1.25 inches around the perimeter of the DO.

post-1637-0-93058100-1427903455_thumb.jp

Here is the pot flipped over looking down inside the DO.

post-1637-0-48990300-1427903514_thumb.jp

Here is, hopefully, a better view of the hole pattern in the drilled DO.

post-1637-0-75433300-1427903593_thumb.jp

Now here is the DO smoke pot sitting on top of a full fire box in Beauty!  As you can see there really isn't any room in Beauty! for the DO smoke pot and a heat deflector.

post-1637-0-48580500-1427903664_thumb.jp

Here is that same DO smoke pot sitting in the belly of TheBeast.

post-1637-0-78298300-1427903794_thumb.jp

Here is a look at the coffee wood i'll be using later today in a cook.  This stuff is tremendous in conjunction with a coffee/cardamom rub.

post-1637-0-84561400-1427905199_thumb.jp

Finally, here is the DO smoke pot ready for action later in the day.  

post-1637-0-34394700-1427905255_thumb.jp

All I do before I put a cook on to smoke is move half of the heat deflector to one side, put the DO smoke pot directly over the lit charcoal, move the heat deflector back into place, put the cooking grate back in place, put the cook on the grate and shut the lid.  No waiting to thin blue smoke.  It happens from the first instant you get smoke as the smoke generated by the DO smoke pot is injected directly down into the charcoal fire thus burning off all the foul tasting volatiles that you see in the initial gray smoke that is produced by laying the smoke wood directly on the coals.

Now, what you may need to do is make certain that the cooks you smoke with this DO smoke pot is make certain that your cook, i.e. butt, brisket, ribs, etc., is really cold when you put it on the grate.  Because this technique gives you a milder version of smoke at all times, your cook may not have the deep smoke taste many people want.  You can combat that by cooling the meat your smoking thus doing a couple of things.  First colder meat will condense more smoke on its surface for a longer period of time.  Second, you may want to use woods that are not as sublime as alder, fruit woods, etc.  Rather, look to hickory or mesquite.

Finally, a disclaimer here.  This IS NOT an idea that is original with me.  Rather, I got this from a thread over on the KK forum.  I believe it originated with a KK owner and member of that Forum I'm certain most of you don't know that you know.  Remember the movie "A Beautiful Mind"?  All the mathematical notion that you saw on chalk boards, windows, etc. is the work of the mathematician who came up with this technique.  

Ok, that's it.  Questions?  Comments?  

Very helpful!  I'll have to give this a try.

BTW, have we started a new DO scale now?  Because I think it's even better than the Hot Dog Scale!

No DO Scale.  I like the Hot Dawg Scale.  It's more fined grained and thus more accurate!   :rofl:  :rofl:

Like that makes one hoot in he!! with TheBeast!

I'm thinking with my KJ Classic, I will have to put the food on the grill extender, and raise the deflector to the level even with the felt gasket on the bottom bowl portion of my Joe. I'm going to have to see the DO in person to determine if this will work. Thanks for posting this CC, I'm looking forward to trying this.

Howdy Gurus! 

Before I ran off to Dallas for the weekend, I had done a cook with the smoke pot above.  I was smoking a small corned beef for pastrami that turned out quite tasty.  I used coffee wood as shown in the last picture.  

Here is what you get at the end of every smoke.

post-1637-0-80351100-1428339614_thumb.jp

I just dump the charcoal back into the firebox for the next cook.  There are not very many volatiles left so it makes good fuel.  Waste not, want not.

I hope everyone had a wonderful, blessed, and happy Easter!

Howdy Gurus! 

Before I ran off to Dallas for the weekend, I had done a cook with the smoke pot above.  I was smoking a small corned beef for pastrami that turned out quite tasty.  I used coffee wood as shown in the last picture.  

Here is what you get at the end of every smoke.

attachicon.gifIMG_0124.jpg

I just dump the charcoal back into the firebox for the next cook.  There are not very many volatiles left so it makes good fuel.  Waste not, want not.

I hope everyone had a wonderful, blessed, and happy Easter!

That's awesome.  It's related to another thread I just asked about burning wood to make charcoal in a Kamado.  So, what I can do is use this wood chuncks in the DO for smoking a cook and then re-use the charcoal for another cook.  Super cool! 

Now to drill some holes in the DO...