Tuna Steaks, Smash Taters, & Asparagus

Tuna Steaks, Smash Taters, & Asparagus 

Back home after a couple of weeks of international business travel.  Feeling the need to cook on Joe.  Market had tuna steaks, asparagus and new potatoes on sale.  A perfect combination.    

Grillled tuna, smash taters and toasted asparagus was the family meal tonight.  Son helped and also cooked the tuna. He gets a a gold star!

Big(Red)Joe fired up to about 500 degrees with the cast iron half grill grate in lower position and the cast iron half griddle at upper level of the Divide and Conquer rack.  Both well oiled. Just the KJ lump charcoal and no added wood.

Here is the meal and the cook.

The Finished Product 

1-Lets%20Eat_zpsl5xlykzg.jpg.

Weather Was Nice Out This Evening in North Georgia and We Had Some Crudites on the Deck for the Wait on the Taters to Boil. A Kalamata Olive Dirty Vodka Martini for Good Measure

2-Crudites_zpsyefkvnkb.jpg

And a Mint Julep for Mrs. Smokehowze & Son

3-Mint%20Julep_zpstvmpe4gh.jpg

Boiled the New Potatoes Until Tender

4-Boiled%20New%20Potatoes_zpsyto5sgzi.jp

Place on Well Oiled 500 Degree Griddle and Smash Gentlly

5-Potatoes%20on%20Griddle_zpsw83m7qwj.jp

Browning Nicely on the Hot Iron

6-Browing%20Nicely_zpsfhmu44sg.jpg

Looking Really Good

7-Looking%20Good_zpsogtvyry6.jpg

Add Dried Thyme, Cayenne Pepper, Black Pepper, Paprika, Salt and Grated Cheddar Cheese plus Some Shake-on Parmesan

8-Add%20the%20Seasoning%20amp%20Cheese_z

Smash Taters Ready to Eat

9-Smash%20Taters_zpsap04vi2g.jpg

Olive Oil on the Asparagus and a Few Sweet Peppers For Color

10-Grilling%20Asparagus_zpsznygfizs.jpg

Toasted and Seasoned with Salt and Pepper and Then Parmesan Cheese - Why Not...

11-Asparagus%20Done%20w%20Parmesean_zpsy

Tuna Steaks about 1.1 lb each Marinating in Soy, Wasabi, Ginger, Sesame Oil, Black Pepper and Touch of Water

12-Tuna%20Marinating_zpsafnxwegq.jpg

Tuna Meets Hot Cast Iron -  Oh Yeah!

12A%20Tuna%20On%20the%20Cast%20Iron%20Gr

First Side Done - In Like 90 seconds

13-Tuna%20Grilling_zpsq4coea4x.jpg

Tuna Steaks Are Done and Enjoying a Rest.  Son Got the Perfect Cross Hatch Pattern.  He Knows I want a Nice Picture for the Post.  Show Off!

14-Nice%20Grilled%20Tuna_zps2l8xwtnj.jpg

Perfect Tuna - I May Need to Go Attack the Leftovers

15-Perfect%20Cook_zpsnafbr3go.jpg

A Tasty Good Friday Meal 

16-%20A%20Great%20Meal_zpst3owfncb.jpg

Excellent. And a mint julep!!!

Yep. The new crop of mint here at the house is coming along in generous measure. We like to take the mint and steep it in boiling water for a bit. Then let sit to get full extraction. Then remove mint and reduce it some and add sweetener to taste (sugar or xylitol) to make a mint simple syrup.. Muddle a few fresh leaves in the glass and remove. Add bourbon and crushed ice. Garnish with some fresh leaves. Bingo. Instant mint julep. Not exactly they way they do it at the Derby but the result is excellent - we think even better than traditional approach. The only issue with this method is they drink up way too easily.   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Welcome home, sir.

That cook looks absolutely spectacular !!!!!!!

I have got to get some of those cast iron inserts for my BJ.   

You nailed that cook perfectly in every way.

What do you use to flip the salmon steaks?     I've had hit and miss results with fish on grates.  Your results were perfect.

Welcome home, sir.

That cook looks absolutely spectacular !!!!!!!

I have got to get some of those cast iron inserts for my BJ.   

You nailed that cook perfectly in every way.

What do you use to flip the salmon steaks?     I've had hit and miss results with fish on grates.  Your results were perfect.

Yep it can be a challenge. In this case I think the grates were OK with seasoning. Rubbed oil on the grates several times as they were heating and then right before the tuna went on. Also used the narrow edge side of the cooking grid rather than the flatter one. Son used a regular grill turner spatula. One point is that the tuna is much denser and that also helps.

I too have had issues with a very delicate fish directly on the grates and as a solution to that I use a wire mesh grilling basket liberally hit with non stick cooking spray. I cut the handle down on the basket and reformed it so it will fit inside Big Joe. That way is is a flip of the basket to turn the fish. When I do a couple of larger salmon fillets I also overlap the this sides in the basket so the effective fish thickness is more uniform.