Nunyabiz

Pizza, dough, and cooking method

45 posts in this topic

I guess first is dough since that needs to be done the day BEFORE you cook Pizza.

Having the dough slowly rise in the fridge for at least 24 hours gives you a much better Pizza Crust.

I use King Arthur "Bread" Flour for normal hand tossed or thicker crust, if I want to do a thin crust I use Antimo Caputo 00 Flour .

Both of these flours have a high protein content between 12.5% to 12.7%.

Because of the difference in water absorption I basically do not give an exact amount of water to use, I make up close to 2 cups of warm 115 degree water and may or may not use it all, I pour about 1 1/2 cups of water into the mixer and then go from there as it starts to mix I just add a spoonful at a time until I see the just right hydration point. Which to me is just when the dough starts to get sticky to the touch.

The doughs for standard or thick and thin crust are totally different for me, thin is different flour,  different amount of water, NO Oil, NO sugar/Honey and higher cooking temp. Thin is a more Neapolitan style crust/dough.

So this recipe I am just going to do the standard crust.

I always make a larger than normal amount because I like to make 4 Hamburger Buns from the same batch of dough to have within the next 2 days.

4 Cups of King Arthur Bread Flour

I make up about 2 cups of 115 degree water, I do not use it all I just add until I get the right consistency which is just starting to get sticky in the bowl and fingertips 

I add a good tablespoon of Honey to the water and stir to dissolve and give the yeast something to chew on. 

To the water I add 2 teaspoons of regular yeast to proof it, usually about 5 minutes or so.

I add 2 nice pinches of Kosher Salt which is around 2 teaspoons to the water to dissolve.

Just before I add the water to the four I add 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil, stir well and pour about 3/4 of it into flour.

The addition of the oil and the sugar/honey means you can cook this dough at a lower temp (480-490)and get a very nice crunchy, crispy outer layer and chewy center.

Turn on mixer with Dough Hook.

I add water as needed while its mixing until I get the hydration just right.

This usually takes about 6-8 minutes, though sometimes can take a bit longer I think I have the mixer (Kitchenaid) on 4.

When it starts to look and feel close I cut off a chunk and then slowly pull the dough in several directions until I can get it to "Windowpane" which is to stretch very thin so that you can almost see through it when you hold it up to the light without it tearing. If it doesn't windowpane then keep mixing until it does.

Once you get the dough properly kneaded I then cut off 4 chunks of 100-105 grams each and roll them into balls and place into a round cake pan that is thoroughly greased with olive oil, use enough oil so that you can roll the dough balls around and coat them evenly in oil.

I sprinkle usually Montreal Steak Seasoning, or Sesame Seeds, or Dehydrated Onions on top of each ball then stretch plastic wrap over the pan and put into fridge for Burgers in a couple days or so.

Take the rest of the dough roll into a ball and then slide into a gallon size ziplock bag that you have oiled well with Olive oil and place into fridge until about 5 hours before you plan on cooking your Pizza. I usually cook about 5pm so I pull mine out just before Noon and let rest on counter.

I start my Kamado at around 4pm, takes between 45-60 minutes for grill to get to 480-490 which is perfect because you want a nice slow steady rise in temp in order to get the stone fully heated through.

If you go much over 500 degrees in a Kamado or any grill when using dough with Oil and Sugar in it you are going to get one of two things.

Either a crust where you get the bottom nice and crispy and that perfect dark golden brown with just a few little darker spots and toppings that are no where near done.

OR toppings that get close to done with a full on burnt bottom crust.

Kamado's or really any other grill are NOT "Pizza ovens" in a classic pizza oven all the heat is ABOVE the stones and uses a very high 900+ degree heat that slowly heats the what are usually 2" thick fire bricks on the bottom of oven, that thick firebrick is probably not as hot as a 1" thick Pizza Stone in a 480 degree Kamado and all the heat in the Pizza Oven comes from the top down, on a Grill it is the Bottom up.

Thus on a grill you need lower overall temps in order to get the toppings nice and cooked before you burn the bottom and it is best to get your Pizza Stone as close to the Dome as you can.  this gives you as close to a Pizza Oven as you can get without building yourself a real Pizza Oven.

I set my Kamado up (happens to be a Vision grill but all are basically the same) with 2 stones, I use a 1" thick Lava Stone on the plate setter just above the charcoal.

I pretty much fill the firebowl or close to it with quality Lump Charcoal, I start it with a Weed Torch which takes between 30-60 seconds and then place 1 chunk of Pecan Wood on top for smoke,  I put both of the grates in then I add bricks on the top grate and then put  the Pizza Stone, (I recommend a 1" thick Dough Joe Pizza Stone) on top of bricks this set up brings the pizza to as close as I can get it to Dome.

It also slows down the air flow which is why it takes so long for it to get to 480-90 degrees.

This is what my Stone set up looks like.

post-8283-0-27314000-1428163094.jpg

I start pulling and pushing the dough into shape usually just after I start the Grill.

I put a little flour, (try to use as little flour as will do the job) on my large cookie sheet which I use as a makeshift Pizza Peel and then knuckle the dough allowing it to just self stretch over my knuckles to get the center started then I put on the floured sheet and start pushing the dough from center out to edges until I get about 15" and then I let it rest right there until Grill reaches about 400 degrees.

This is what it looks like at that point.

post-8283-0-28591200-1428163821_thumb.jp

At around 400 degrees or so I have probably got about 5-10 minutes-ish before I reach the optimum 480-490.

So I start building my Pizza about now.

First thing I do is to lift one half of the dough up, fold over on itself and then spread a fairly generous amount of Semolina Flour (use plenty of the Semolina this both makes the dough slide easily and adds a nice crunch to the bottom of crust, it also gives a good buffer between dough and stone, most any burnt Semolina will remain on stone when you take the Pizza off) onto Cookie sheet pizza peel, then same on other half, then I give her a shake shake back and forth and make sure it slides nice and easy, this shrinks the diameter down from 15" to an exact 14.5"" to fit on my 14.5" Dough Joe Stone right to the edge.  (The dough will shrink more than 1/2" if it has not rested long enough)

For Sauce I usually use a combo of Enrico's which I thinly spread over most of the dough thicker near the outer edges and in the center none.

I then add to that some really nice Sun Dried Tomato Tapenade that I get from Harris Teeter I am sure there are several others equally as good.

I dab the tapenade all around, its a very tomatoey, sun dried almost sweet kick, just adds a layer of flavor without much moisture.

Sauce combo.

post-8283-0-81751700-1428164934_thumb.jp

Here is the dough at this point.

post-8283-0-64338700-1428164748_thumb.jp

Now I start to add the veggies, my usual Pizza I use "Sweet Yellow Bell Pepper", "Fresh Jalapeno Slices" , "Red Onion" "Fresh Cremini Mushrooms" and Napa Bistro Garlic Stuffed Olives that I slice up. I find this is a perfect combination for my wifes and I taste.

Here it is with veggies, and always I add my veggies on top of sauce first,  then cheese on top of veggies, and then meat on top in that order. This cooks the veggies perfectly.

post-8283-0-19552000-1428166036_thumb.jp

I then add my Cheese, I use the best fresh Mozzarella I can find which is usually from Costco, I use fairly large pieces and scatter them around evenly.

post-8283-0-47683200-1428166433_thumb.jp

I then add a copious amount of the finest Pepperoni I can find, which is "Uncured Applegate Farms Pepperoni" its large diameter very good pepperoni that I get sliced fresh at Wholefoods, this pic shows Pepperoni and grill at 480 degrees.

I also sprinkle a good dusting of Feta crumbles on top of Pepperoni.

post-8283-0-15662800-1428166789_thumb.jp

Here it is on top of Pizza Stone just before closing lid.

post-8283-0-91086400-1428167001_thumb.jp

Now it becomes a game of peekaboo, I keep an eye on it through the top vent until I start to see at least some browning on pepperoni then I crack open the lid just enough to reach in with a spatula to lift up dough to check the bottom, I do this until it reaches that perfect golden brown with just a few dark spots, this means the perfect very crisp layer. Also in these last couple of minutes I close the top vent completely this builds up the heat under the dome and finishes browning/melting the toppings.

At 480 degrees, with oil and sugar in dough with stone as close to top as you can get you should get the bottom of crust perfect crisp and the toppings nicely browned and done while the inside of dough is nice and soft with a slight chew.

I then slide the pizza on top of my cookie sheet using the spatula to push, that I now have a metal cooling rack on top of it so that the Pizza crust stays crispy until the very last piece. Any water, excess moisture drains to the cookie sheet which I have placed a couple of paper towels on to catch whatever falls.  This way crust stays perfect just the way you came off the stone.

post-8283-0-38158600-1428167487_thumb.jp

I slice it up, then add either fresh Basil and or Fresh Spicy Greek Oregano on top, plus a few dabs of Basil Pesto around the crust.

crunchy, chewy, crispy, as good as it gets.

post-8283-0-50451500-1428167749_thumb.jp

I Literally can not even eat delivery Pizza or Costco and all the other Pizzas that we used to like anymore.

Looks good!  Thanks for posting your method, certain there will be some helpful details in there for some folks to learn from.

Sounds good and looks good. I switched to weighing my ingredients for the dough. It makes it easy to reproduce the next time. My neopolation pizza I do at 65% hydration.

Mewantkj likes this

Thanks for this post, as I am about to try my/our first pizza on my Primo XL.

Welcome, hope it helps.

I have a feeling the Primo XL might work exceptionally well for Pizza once you get it dialed in.

Post how it comes out

That is about the finest Kamado pizza I've seen and what I would love to produce. That crust and the way the cheese melted is picture perfect to me, nice tutorial.

Nunyabiz likes this

Question: why no sauce in the middle of the pie?

Less moisture, center of pie has a tendency to be a puddle so I skimp on that center few inches it keeps the center crunchy.

Meatlover and Violet like this

That is about the finest Kamado pizza I've seen and what I would love to produce. That crust and the way the cheese melted is picture perfect to me, nice tutorial.

Thanks, Mr Cue

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By John Setzler
      I have read the Ken Forkish "The Elements of Pizza" book cover to cover and I'm ready to try my second pizza from his techniques.  I have started rebuilding a sourdough starter with his technique that I'll use next week sometime to make a pizza but this project is starting today with the 48-72 Hour Biga Pizza Dough recipe on page 120 of the book.

A "Biga" is another term for a preferment but this preferment is done with commercial yeast.  The preferment process is a simple procedure where you take some of your flour and water from the overall recipe and add a tiny bit of yeast and let that 'ferment' for a period of time in which the yeast multiplies and builds flavor character.  When the preferment is done (12-14 hours in this case) you add the rest of your flour, water, and salt to the Biga and mix your dough.  I will be modifying the recipe in the book because the book recipes are tailored for cooking in a home oven at 500-550 degrees.  Most of the doughs in the book are made at 70% hydration which is perfect for that temperature range.  I plan to cook these on my Blackstone oven at a much higher temp so I will be reducing the hydration of this dough to 60%.  

This recipe makes enough dough for 3 pizzas of approximately 12" in diameter.

48 hours before you plan to cook your pizza:

Mix the Biga:

140 grams 95°F Water
      250 grams flour (preferably 00)
      .2 grams yeast

If you can't weigh .2 grams, this is approximately 1/5 of 1/4 teaspoon.  So divide 1/4 tsp into 5 parts and one of those parts is how much you need for this

Place the yeast in the water and give it a gentle stir and let the yeast dissolve for a minute or two.  Add the flour and mix by hand until all the flour is incorporated and there is no dry flour left.  Stretch and fold the dough several times and then place in a 6 quart container with a lid and let sit at room temperature for 12-14 hours.  The Biga should triple in size and be visibly gassy.

8pm Wednesday Evening:

250 grams of Antimo Caputo 00 Pizzaria Flour

0.2 grams active dry yeast

140 grams 95°F water

6-quart Cambro... add the water and swirl the yeast in it until it's fully dissolved...

Dump in the flour...

Work the flour by hand to get the flour and water completely incorporated... folded and stretched several times during the process...

Put the lid on the container and will let this sit for 12-13 hours before moving on to the next stage.  

For those interested in the time factor, it took about 10 minutes to weigh out my ingredients and get to the point of letting this sit...

After about 12 hours of rest we have this...

This biga has risen and gassed up nicely...

Time to move on to the rest of the dough...

Another 250g of 00 flour...

13g of fine sea salt...

160g of 95°F water in the dough tub...

Add the salt to the water in the tub and swirl until it's dissolved...

Add the 250g flour...

Mix by hand until you have a unified dough mass...

Add the biga...

Wet your hands to keep the dough from sticking and combine the two dough masses by squishing them together for several minutes to make sure they are thoroughly incorporated.

Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.

After it has rested covered for 20 minutes, turn it back out onto a lightly floured work surface...

Knead by hand for about 30 seconds and then form into a dough ball...

At this point, you can clean your tub or switch to a clean tub... lightly oil the tub...

Place the dough ball in the tub seam side down and cover with a lid and let rest for another 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes, remove the dough to a floured surface and dust it lightly with flour...

I used my bench knife to segment the dough into three equal parts...

I then stretched/folded each segment several times and then formed into a dough ball...

I covered this with plastic wrap and it will now sit on the counter for two hours...

At the end of the two hours, this will go into the fridge where it will stay until friday evening when I'm ready to make the pizzas.  This will be about 32 hours away.  I will remove the dough from the fridge 90 minutes before I am ready to start making the pizza to let it come to room temp.  

Here are the final photos:

These were cooked on the Blackstone oven at 900°F -

These were my best tasting pizzas to date.  This crust is seriously delicious.  I can't wait to try the same recipe using the sourdough starter.  Hopefully I'll get to try that one in a couple weeks.  

The taste is perfect.  My shortcoming now is my ability to properly stretch and shape the dough into a proper pizza crust.  I need some practice with that and will keep working on it.  I may make a double batch of this dough next week and just use it to practice shaping crusts...

• By New_England_Akorn
      I LOVE to make home made pizza, well as home made as I'm willing to go. I have long used my oven inside so I look forward to chronicling my use of the Akorn for this task.

Today was Pizza cook #1. A learning experience with some mistakes made.

1)I buy store bought dough from a place near me that sells a good "NY Crust". I always use fine ground cornmeal to roll it out, as I like it far better than flour once it cooks into the bottom of the pizza.

2)For cheese I use a mix of shredded "4 or 6 cheese italian" with the usuals: mozzarella, asiago, parmesan, romano. Lately I've leaned heavier toward Mozzarella in the mix for the chewiness, I'd say 75% of the mix lately is Mozzarella. Sometimes, including today I sprinkle a little yellow cheddar or mexican cheese mix on at the end for the color and a little zing to the flavor. Sometimes I buy a ball of mozzarella and cut into slivers that I plop down (kind of like margarita stlye) but totday was all shredded.

3)Sauce is a can of whole peeled tomatoes, drain and discard the juice. Add several shakes of oregano, pinch of basil, pinch of parsley, pinch of salt, pinch of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Grind in blender for ~10 seconds, just enough to break up the whole peeled tomatoes. 

4)Here is where my mistakes begin. I don't have a diffuser (I'm ordering the CG smokin stone) so I went without one, just using a pizza pan. I knew this carried risks, so I elected to try and keep the temp down. I got it fired up with a lot of coals, but kept it around 400 at the built in dome thermo. I usually put the dough in the pan into the oven for 3-5 min to give it a bit of a crisp before doing the rest of the toppings, so I did that again. No issues observed so far. edit: Also of note I threw 3 hickory wood chunks on, again just to experiment, I guess trying for a fusion of coal and wood fired. Too much wood, too much smoke, didn't need it and won't do that again. Also not sure Hickory is the right wood for pizza, unless its BBQ chicken or pork maybe. Anyone use wood chunks?

5)I put the sauce and toppings on, just what I had in the house, so half cheese, and half sliced pepperoni from the bag. Nothing special. I always sprinkle some basil on top of the cheese on the whole pie. 

6)I put it back onto the grill on pan and it cooked for about 10 minutes or so. I couldn't help but peak at it repeatedly since I've not used it yet so wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't do well enough checking the bottom or turning it, so one side (pepperoni) got charred black on the bottom. Like gross charred. The other side was very good. 

Here are some pics. More to follow in this thread. I will do many types and topping, and next time diffuser and closer eye on the crust is a must.

• By Rob_grill_apprentice
      My boys wanted some pizza so on Friday I made the dough and after proofing 30 minutes; I placed in the refrigerator overnight.  Today I then warmed up 2 hours and the formed into 3 balls.    Made 2x18" and 1x 14".   Pizza was ham and pepperoni.    Next time I think I will blend extra old cheddar cheese  and pizza mozzarella.    Today the cheese, I used was on,y pizza mozzarella.   

• By drumice
      Hey all, so I've owned this thing for a few weeks and have gotten fairly used to temperature control.   I've roasted ribs, chuck roasts, and pork shoulders.  The whole family loves the added wood component vs. regular charcoal grilling.  My only complaint is that I have yet to master timing, so more often then not my meat is a little on the dry side.  One thing I'm learning, particularly with beef, is that you can't go on temperature alone.  You definitely have to factor in where the meat is in terms of collagen deterioration.  Another skill I'm sure that  I'll acquire over time.  Pizzas, on the other hand, have been great!  I have a ton of experience with bread and pizza - so I've been able to draw upon those experiences.  For crust recipes, I've been using Nancy Silverton's recipe in her Mozza cookbook, as well as various recipes in Ken Forkish's Elements of Pizza (my favorites are Enzo's Pizza Dough and the 48 hour biga dough).  Pictures attached!

• By John Setzler

Dough:

300 grams (2 cups plus two tablespoons) all purpose flour (100%)
      195 grams (7/8 cup) lukewarm water (65%)
      6 grams (3/4 tsp) salt (2%)
      6 grams (1 1/2 tsp) active dry yeast (2%)
      2 tbsp melted butter
      1 1/2 to 2 tsp ground cinnamon

Note: You can easily use a store-bought pizza dough for this recipe if you choose.  

Combine the yeast and water and let dissolve for 10-15 minutes.  Add the melted butter.

Wisk the dry ingredients together in a separate mixing bowl.  

After the yeast has dissolved, combine with the dry ingredients and knead by hand or in a mixer with a dough hook until there is no sign of dry flour left.  Cover with plastic in mixing bowl and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat the grill to 375°F and set up for indirect cooking on a pizza stone. 

Make your glaze drizzle:

Wisk together:
      1 cup powdered sugar
      2 tbsp milk
      1 to 2 tsp vanilla extract

After your dough has risen, form it out into a 12-14 inch diameter pizza crust.  Put it on the grill and cook it by itself for about 10 minutes. 
      Remove it from the grill.

Spread cream cheese frosting over the surface of the crust (See recipe below).

4 oz butter, softened
      4 oz cream cheese, softened
      2 cups powdered sugar
      1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix together completely

Spread Strawberry Pie Filling over the surface (or any other pie filling or combination of pie fillings that you might like.
      Return to the pizza stone on the grill for another 10 minutes.

After that 10 minutes. sprinkle on some chocolate chips and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes.

Remove from the grill and let cool for 10 minutes and then drizzle with your glaze.