Nunyabiz

Pizza, dough, and cooking method

45 posts in this topic

We’re grilling thin crust pizza tonight on our Primo XL, our second time (1st time was good but crust was still a little chewy), so I came here looking for some pointers to improve.    

What an excellent write up!  Thanks for sharing and the details re thin crust.

I’m going to use the deflectors and place the stone close to the top of the dome and see how that works.  I’m also going to use the flour you suggested, and this time drop the oil.  I’ll write again on how it turns out and what i learn.   

Thanks again.  

You're welcome.

Please do post results, pizza can be tricky to get dialed in just right, whenever you change something it can affect something else like dominoes.

Another thing you can try that I bet you will like is when you make dough for the regular type crust that has the oil and the sugar/honey in it is to make about an extra 400 gr or 14-16oz extra and use that the next day for making Garlic Knots to have with Pasta.

Just roll it out about 1/4" thick and then slice into strips about an inch wide and then tie into a knot, make up some Garlic Butter I use the best butter I can find, chop up several cloves of Garlic, and usually about a tablespoon of Basil Pesto though Sun Dried Tomato Pesto I am sure would also be good. Mix that all up well and coat the knots completely. Sprinkle a bit of fresh Parmesan on top.

Let them rise about an hour then bake in oven until golden brown.

Made the pizza last night following your cooking instructions to a tee and...very sound method!  Pizza crust and toppings were done to perfection.  

Here’s a photo of my grill set up

post-10044-0-46013900-1446921039_thumb.j

And here’s what they looked like

post-10044-0-40203400-1446921119_thumb.j

It took about 45 minutes to get the grill steady between 470 and 500 but that was the perfect temp - the crust had no burn on the bottom and the toppings were fully cooked.  Cooking close to the dome definitely helped.  

I couldn’t find Antico Molino Caputo 00 flour anywhere in town so I used un-bleached all-purpose flour. The crust was good but not perfect (to me the perfect thin crust is similar to a Quesadilla crust - crispy yet light) so next time I’m in Toronto I’ll stop in to a couple specialty stores I trust will carry Antico.

Will stick with this method.  

dwilkie likes this

Made the pizza last night following your cooking instructions to a tee and...very sound method!  Pizza crust and toppings were done to perfection.  

Here’s a photo of my grill set up

attachicon.gifIMG_3262.JPG

And here’s what they looked like

attachicon.gifIMG_3270.JPG

It took about 45 minutes to get the grill steady between 470 and 500 but that was the perfect temp - the crust had no burn on the bottom and the toppings were fully cooked.  Cooking close to the dome definitely helped.  

I couldn’t find Antico Molino Caputo 00 flour anywhere in town so I used un-bleached all-purpose flour. The crust was good but not perfect (to me the perfect thin crust is similar to a Quesadilla crust - crispy yet light) so next time I’m in Toronto I’ll stop in to a couple specialty stores I trust will carry Antico.

Will stick with this method.  

Outstanding!

Looks really good.

You can also get that flour on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Antimo-Caputo-Pizzeria-Flour-Repack/dp/B0067DAXRY

Now a "thin crust" especially with this type of flour and without Oil/Sugar etc can handle hotter temps without burning , so if you did say 480 and it was good, with the Antimo flour maybe try 510 to 530.

That may get you that lighter crispier crust.

I know on mine when I do the regular crust with the oil and the honey and tons of toppings that about 480 is perfect, nice very crisp bottom, slightly chewy soft inside and perfectly done toppings using the King Arthur Bread Flour. 

May have to play with it just a bit to get the exact crust you seek, but once you do you can repeat it easily over and over.

Tosh likes this

Thanks for the tips - when I get a chance to make with Antimo flour I’ll definitely raise the temp. and report back !  

Nunyabiz likes this

Hi, does anyone know if you can use this method, but not use the platesetter?

Thanks!

Hi, does anyone know if you can use this method, but not use the platesetter?

Thanks!

You can try it, but maybe put the stone in later instead of 45 minutes.

Maybe put the stone in 10 minutes before the pizza.

I tried this without the platesetter and it worked great...wish I had some pics, but I put the pizza stone in about 10-15 minutes before cooking, and then cooked the pizza for 15-20 minutes out roughly 450 F. 

SmokeOrFire likes this

I also dont use the plate setter any more for pizza.  I used a "large woo" to elevate the pizza stone just above the felt for easy peel use.  I start the BGE with the stone in place to avoid thermal shock.  I use a thin crust based on the recipe that comes with Cuisinart food processor (usually use 2/3 white unbleached flower, and 1/3 wheat) and light toppings.  Preheat the grill until the stone is 450-500 (using infrared thermo through the top vent), don't care about air temp (since it can be quickly adjusted with vent, unlike stone) but its usually between 500 and 600.  As soon as the stone is >450 ready to start cooking, about 15-20 minutes after lighting (with hi-que grate or KAB, probably need another 5-10 minutes with stock drain cover).  Once pizza is on the stone I keep the dome between 550 and 600 (usually wide open vent).  Once its done (10-15 minutes, look at it dont time it), all but shut bottom vent.  When ready for next pizza, open it wide, stone will still be around 500, and air will be around 400.   I would NOT do this without the infrared as the stone would quickly get too hot to cook the crust without burning.  Assuming you have infrared, this halves preheat time.

Yep, there are numerous ways to get roughly the same results.

Pizza is sort of a juggling act.

My method is what I finally settled on after carbonizing a few crust my juggling lead me to use a bottom stone close to coals, the pizza stone just as high as I can get it, one time I noticed my temp dropping fast and I was like WTH and I looked through the top vent and the temp probe was in the pizza dough.

Now it's about 1/4" away so it's as high as it will go.

I found in this position I can heat soak the stone at 480 degrees for 45 minutes and it's the perfect upper and lower heat distribution to cook the bottom of the crust and the toppings at exactly the same time.

For my personal juggling act that is what works for me.

All my pizzas now are cookie cutter, all perfect and exactly the same.

Once you get your method that works for you stick with it and you are good to go.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Dough was great! Best pizza I've had!  1487698024471.jpg

Welcome, please stop by and introduce yourself. 

On 2/21/2017 at 0:29 PM, Kev said:

Dough was great! Best pizza I've had!  1487698024471.jpg

Cool, glad it worked for you

I came back to browse this thread because...Drum roll....I finally got my hands on some double zero flour !!  It’s not the Antimo brand but rather Molino Grassi TIPO 00.  

Cooking up some pies tonight and I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve...I can’t wait!  

Will take pics and report back on method and results.

I like food... ;) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By John Setzler
      I have read the Ken Forkish "The Elements of Pizza" book cover to cover and I'm ready to try my second pizza from his techniques.  I have started rebuilding a sourdough starter with his technique that I'll use next week sometime to make a pizza but this project is starting today with the 48-72 Hour Biga Pizza Dough recipe on page 120 of the book.

A "Biga" is another term for a preferment but this preferment is done with commercial yeast.  The preferment process is a simple procedure where you take some of your flour and water from the overall recipe and add a tiny bit of yeast and let that 'ferment' for a period of time in which the yeast multiplies and builds flavor character.  When the preferment is done (12-14 hours in this case) you add the rest of your flour, water, and salt to the Biga and mix your dough.  I will be modifying the recipe in the book because the book recipes are tailored for cooking in a home oven at 500-550 degrees.  Most of the doughs in the book are made at 70% hydration which is perfect for that temperature range.  I plan to cook these on my Blackstone oven at a much higher temp so I will be reducing the hydration of this dough to 60%.  

This recipe makes enough dough for 3 pizzas of approximately 12" in diameter.

48 hours before you plan to cook your pizza:

Mix the Biga:

140 grams 95°F Water
      250 grams flour (preferably 00)
      .2 grams yeast

If you can't weigh .2 grams, this is approximately 1/5 of 1/4 teaspoon.  So divide 1/4 tsp into 5 parts and one of those parts is how much you need for this

Place the yeast in the water and give it a gentle stir and let the yeast dissolve for a minute or two.  Add the flour and mix by hand until all the flour is incorporated and there is no dry flour left.  Stretch and fold the dough several times and then place in a 6 quart container with a lid and let sit at room temperature for 12-14 hours.  The Biga should triple in size and be visibly gassy.

8pm Wednesday Evening:

250 grams of Antimo Caputo 00 Pizzaria Flour

0.2 grams active dry yeast

140 grams 95°F water

6-quart Cambro... add the water and swirl the yeast in it until it's fully dissolved...

Dump in the flour...

Work the flour by hand to get the flour and water completely incorporated... folded and stretched several times during the process...

Put the lid on the container and will let this sit for 12-13 hours before moving on to the next stage.  

For those interested in the time factor, it took about 10 minutes to weigh out my ingredients and get to the point of letting this sit...

After about 12 hours of rest we have this...

This biga has risen and gassed up nicely...

Time to move on to the rest of the dough...

Another 250g of 00 flour...

13g of fine sea salt...

160g of 95°F water in the dough tub...

Add the salt to the water in the tub and swirl until it's dissolved...

Add the 250g flour...

Mix by hand until you have a unified dough mass...

Add the biga...

Wet your hands to keep the dough from sticking and combine the two dough masses by squishing them together for several minutes to make sure they are thoroughly incorporated.

Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.

After it has rested covered for 20 minutes, turn it back out onto a lightly floured work surface...

Knead by hand for about 30 seconds and then form into a dough ball...

At this point, you can clean your tub or switch to a clean tub... lightly oil the tub...

Place the dough ball in the tub seam side down and cover with a lid and let rest for another 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes, remove the dough to a floured surface and dust it lightly with flour...

I used my bench knife to segment the dough into three equal parts...

I then stretched/folded each segment several times and then formed into a dough ball...

I covered this with plastic wrap and it will now sit on the counter for two hours...

At the end of the two hours, this will go into the fridge where it will stay until friday evening when I'm ready to make the pizzas.  This will be about 32 hours away.  I will remove the dough from the fridge 90 minutes before I am ready to start making the pizza to let it come to room temp.  

Here are the final photos:

These were cooked on the Blackstone oven at 900°F -

These were my best tasting pizzas to date.  This crust is seriously delicious.  I can't wait to try the same recipe using the sourdough starter.  Hopefully I'll get to try that one in a couple weeks.  

The taste is perfect.  My shortcoming now is my ability to properly stretch and shape the dough into a proper pizza crust.  I need some practice with that and will keep working on it.  I may make a double batch of this dough next week and just use it to practice shaping crusts...

• By New_England_Akorn
      I LOVE to make home made pizza, well as home made as I'm willing to go. I have long used my oven inside so I look forward to chronicling my use of the Akorn for this task.

Today was Pizza cook #1. A learning experience with some mistakes made.

1)I buy store bought dough from a place near me that sells a good "NY Crust". I always use fine ground cornmeal to roll it out, as I like it far better than flour once it cooks into the bottom of the pizza.

2)For cheese I use a mix of shredded "4 or 6 cheese italian" with the usuals: mozzarella, asiago, parmesan, romano. Lately I've leaned heavier toward Mozzarella in the mix for the chewiness, I'd say 75% of the mix lately is Mozzarella. Sometimes, including today I sprinkle a little yellow cheddar or mexican cheese mix on at the end for the color and a little zing to the flavor. Sometimes I buy a ball of mozzarella and cut into slivers that I plop down (kind of like margarita stlye) but totday was all shredded.

3)Sauce is a can of whole peeled tomatoes, drain and discard the juice. Add several shakes of oregano, pinch of basil, pinch of parsley, pinch of salt, pinch of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Grind in blender for ~10 seconds, just enough to break up the whole peeled tomatoes. 

4)Here is where my mistakes begin. I don't have a diffuser (I'm ordering the CG smokin stone) so I went without one, just using a pizza pan. I knew this carried risks, so I elected to try and keep the temp down. I got it fired up with a lot of coals, but kept it around 400 at the built in dome thermo. I usually put the dough in the pan into the oven for 3-5 min to give it a bit of a crisp before doing the rest of the toppings, so I did that again. No issues observed so far. edit: Also of note I threw 3 hickory wood chunks on, again just to experiment, I guess trying for a fusion of coal and wood fired. Too much wood, too much smoke, didn't need it and won't do that again. Also not sure Hickory is the right wood for pizza, unless its BBQ chicken or pork maybe. Anyone use wood chunks?

5)I put the sauce and toppings on, just what I had in the house, so half cheese, and half sliced pepperoni from the bag. Nothing special. I always sprinkle some basil on top of the cheese on the whole pie. 

6)I put it back onto the grill on pan and it cooked for about 10 minutes or so. I couldn't help but peak at it repeatedly since I've not used it yet so wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't do well enough checking the bottom or turning it, so one side (pepperoni) got charred black on the bottom. Like gross charred. The other side was very good. 

Here are some pics. More to follow in this thread. I will do many types and topping, and next time diffuser and closer eye on the crust is a must.

• By Rob_grill_apprentice
      My boys wanted some pizza so on Friday I made the dough and after proofing 30 minutes; I placed in the refrigerator overnight.  Today I then warmed up 2 hours and the formed into 3 balls.    Made 2x18" and 1x 14".   Pizza was ham and pepperoni.    Next time I think I will blend extra old cheddar cheese  and pizza mozzarella.    Today the cheese, I used was on,y pizza mozzarella.   

• By drumice
      Hey all, so I've owned this thing for a few weeks and have gotten fairly used to temperature control.   I've roasted ribs, chuck roasts, and pork shoulders.  The whole family loves the added wood component vs. regular charcoal grilling.  My only complaint is that I have yet to master timing, so more often then not my meat is a little on the dry side.  One thing I'm learning, particularly with beef, is that you can't go on temperature alone.  You definitely have to factor in where the meat is in terms of collagen deterioration.  Another skill I'm sure that  I'll acquire over time.  Pizzas, on the other hand, have been great!  I have a ton of experience with bread and pizza - so I've been able to draw upon those experiences.  For crust recipes, I've been using Nancy Silverton's recipe in her Mozza cookbook, as well as various recipes in Ken Forkish's Elements of Pizza (my favorites are Enzo's Pizza Dough and the 48 hour biga dough).  Pictures attached!

• By John Setzler

Dough:

300 grams (2 cups plus two tablespoons) all purpose flour (100%)
      195 grams (7/8 cup) lukewarm water (65%)
      6 grams (3/4 tsp) salt (2%)
      6 grams (1 1/2 tsp) active dry yeast (2%)
      2 tbsp melted butter
      1 1/2 to 2 tsp ground cinnamon

Note: You can easily use a store-bought pizza dough for this recipe if you choose.  

Combine the yeast and water and let dissolve for 10-15 minutes.  Add the melted butter.

Wisk the dry ingredients together in a separate mixing bowl.  

After the yeast has dissolved, combine with the dry ingredients and knead by hand or in a mixer with a dough hook until there is no sign of dry flour left.  Cover with plastic in mixing bowl and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat the grill to 375°F and set up for indirect cooking on a pizza stone. 

Make your glaze drizzle:

Wisk together:
      1 cup powdered sugar
      2 tbsp milk
      1 to 2 tsp vanilla extract

After your dough has risen, form it out into a 12-14 inch diameter pizza crust.  Put it on the grill and cook it by itself for about 10 minutes. 
      Remove it from the grill.

Spread cream cheese frosting over the surface of the crust (See recipe below).

4 oz butter, softened
      4 oz cream cheese, softened
      2 cups powdered sugar
      1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix together completely

Spread Strawberry Pie Filling over the surface (or any other pie filling or combination of pie fillings that you might like.
      Return to the pizza stone on the grill for another 10 minutes.

After that 10 minutes. sprinkle on some chocolate chips and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes.

Remove from the grill and let cool for 10 minutes and then drizzle with your glaze.