Weber Q 120 Portable Gas Grill

http://youtu.be/z3FzXntMQfI

I picked up this new-in-box Weber Q 120 portable gas grill on Craigslist last week for a pretty good deal. I was quite pleased with the results! I did some testing with this grill to see what it might be capable of and I'm quite impressed with what I will be able to do with it.

To begin my testing, I installed a new 16-oz propane cylinder for fuel, lit the grill, and set the flame to maximum. I wanted to see just how long the 8,500 BTU burner on this unit would run at full bore. I had hoped for a little longer, but it ran for 2 hours and 40 minutes before the flame died. That's not really very bad considering it's enough time for 5 or 6 steak or burger cooks between refuels. These propane cylinders cost about $2.50-$3.00 each depending on where you buy them, so that works out to about fifty cents per cook in fuel costs for normal cooks. Can't complain about that!

After I bought this grill, I bought two accessories to go with it.

Master Forge Dual-Sided Non-Stick Griddle

Appliance Propane Conversion Hose

The hose in the link is not the make/model I bought but I could not find the one I bought at Lowes on any website. It's a Benzomatic brand 4' hose and it was $16 at Lowes. If I ever want to run this grill for an extended period of time I can use the hose to connect it to one of my 20-lb propane tanks.

I don't use a gas grill for cooking meat a lot. In fact, I gave away my big gas grill last summer after I converted back to charcoal. The reason I wanted another small gasser is for several specific purposes. As seen in my accessories, I plan to use it as a griddle occasionally. I will also be using it for tasks such as cooking baked potatoes and other roasting tasks while I'm grilling meat elsewhere...

Anyway... another pony has been added to the stable!

John, I know your Go Anywhere is charcoal, but how would you rate size and portability of the Go Anywhere models and the Q models? I would guess that the Go Anywhere propane model would be handier to tote to the picnic than a Q, but I have seen neither in person.

The Go-Anywhere is significantly lighter and a good bit smaller in overall dimensions than the Weber Q. The cooking surface on the Go-Anywhere is 10x16 and the Weber Q is 13x17 so it's a little larger. Each grill has its strengths obviously.... The gasser is quick and easy to fire up with no 'mess' of charcoal. The charcoal grill will give you the charcoal flavor with a little extra work of firing up the charcoal and disposing of it afterwards. I'm not sure which one of these two grills will be my takealong grill yet... maybe both of them depending on the occasion....

Congratulations! I hope you do a youtube review on it. Boy am I stupid! That is a youtube review! My only excuse is that I only got 3 hours sleep and I haven't had any coffee yet and the moon is in the wrong phase and my cats want to be fed and my wife keeps giving me more honey do's and I've been out of sorts over politics and the dog keeps barking to go outside. Been hunting for a bargain on the Q120 to replace my old Coleman fuel burning camp stove. The Q120 looks like the best of the "small gassers" to haul around for car camping.

• 1 month later...

I was hoping to get a Q120 on an "End-of Season" sale, but haven't found one. Question: Does Weber ever put these things on sale? I can pick 'em up for $179 almost anywhere, and can skip the tax on Amazon, but can't find a "Deal".

• 8 months later...

John,

I'm curious how you are liking your Q after almost a year? Do you use it much for sides? How's the griddle working out?

I found an NIB q 120 on CL that's calling my name.

Thanks.

They are regularly on sale at buy.com with coupon code. Got a Q120 shipped for $129 about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Sits right beside my akorn on my kamado table. Perfect pair!

The Q120 does a hell of a sear with it cast iron grate in close proximity to the burner. Love the electric start. Use mine primarily for quick hot dogs for the kids or a single quick burger or two with limited time. Perfect kamado companion.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The Go-Anywhere is significantly lighter and a good bit smaller in overall dimensions than the Weber Q. The cooking surface on the Go-Anywhere is 10x16 and the Weber Q is 13x17 so it's a little larger. Each grill has its strengths obviously.... The gasser is quick and easy to fire up with no 'mess' of charcoal. The charcoal grill will give you the charcoal flavor with a little extra work of firing up the charcoal and disposing of it afterwards. I'm not sure which one of these two grills will be my takealong grill yet... maybe both of them depending on the occasion....

John,

Just wondering what your feelings are for your Q120 after almost a year. Do you you use it much? Mainly for side dishes? How's it holding up? Are you still likeing it? Thanks.

John,

Just wondering what your feelings are for your Q120 after almost a year. Do you you use it much? Mainly for side dishes? How's it holding up? Are you still likeing it? Thanks.

I use it occasionally in my 'cooking for two people' rotation. It's great for a couple hotdogs or burgers or even two steaks, but I do prefer charcoal for meat so I use my Weber Go Anywhere a lot more often. I use this grill a lot to cook baked potatoes though...

What do you use the CI Griddle for?

I scored a used Q200 on craigslist for $40 :P so it can be done.

It's not cast iron, but its perfect for cooking anything you would want on a flat top... bacon, burgers, steaks, just whatever :)